Wiki Posts
Search

Just watched as two guys get tossed off the plane in PHL

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Just watched as two guys get tossed off the plane in PHL

Wow! Two passengers in F are refusing to vacate seats. They got on late and are mouthy with the crew. Apparently their seats were given away to folks in coach - they made it at the last second and flipped. Bullied their way into seats and refused to leave until police were called.

A first for me to watch. A manager asked them to depart because the crew didn't feel safe. Wow!!

So apparently US upgraded people in coach but still let the original F tickets onboard "downgraded" to coach. Such a scene.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Update

In the most ridiculous abuse of power I've seen in some time ...

Seats unoccupied.

Two coach folks are upgraded. While they are moving to the front two guys (3A and 3C) walk in and when confronted by the coach folks sit in seats quickly.

They have boarding passes - GA comes and asks them to sit in coach. 3A and 3C say they aren't moving and they have paid first class seats. GA tells them they were late, seats were given away and they need to sit in coach. Guys refuse. FA asks, refuse. 3A and 3C ask for the FAs name so they "can write a letter".

A manager asks and they refuse. At this point the manager states "The crew feels unsafe with you onboard and we will call the police to remove you. Are you going to leave". The guys sit for a minute, police are called and they get up and leave. No cursing, no threats, only refusing to leave. I'm not sure how I feel. They did disobey crew instructions but also had boarding passes for 3A and 3C.

Off we go.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:52 pm

I've been upgraded several times once on the plane but usually it's at the last second just before the door closes. Last time I was in my seat in coach looking at my confirmed upgrade on my phone. Pretty silly I know.

If they missed the 10 minute window they'd lose their seat. If they really had paid FC I can see how this would be really frustrating but anyone who flies a lot or for that matter reads the news should know that arguing with a FA isn't going to get you very far.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Just watched a two guys get tossed off the plane in PHL

Why did GA let them onboard to begin with of their seats were already given away?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I'm just waiting for a new thread 'we made our tight connection only to board and find out the GA gave away our paid F seats. And then they threw US off the plane for NO reason. How dare they? We made the flight with 30 seconds to spare! Gonna sue them'.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
Why did GA let them onboard to begin with of their seats were already given away?
The million dollar question. I have no idea. I do know that the phrase "The crew feels unsafe with you onboard" was used very quickly and without any discussion. I think it is a go to phrase when the GA and FA make a mistake, and that is scary.

They were offered seats in coach (the seats which had been unoccupied by the folks who were upgraded) but wouldn't budge.

Last edited by lemfc; Sep 18, 2014 at 5:15 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
We have no idea what happened at the gate, only who said what once this became an onboard spectacle. The fact is that -- rightly or wrongly -- the pax were reassigned other seats, refused to move, got mouthy and got the heave-ho.

But, the bottom line is that your seat is where you are assigned and the loudmouths were told.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
I'm just waiting for a new thread 'we made our tight connection only to board and find out the GA gave away our paid F seats. And then they threw US off the plane for NO reason. How dare they? We made the flight with 30 seconds to spare! Gonna sue them'.
When you have 30 minute legal connection times in PHX this is likely to happen. I know this is PHL but just saying....
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Don't pax have a right to a BP that reflects their actual seat assignment? Had the pax originally assigned 3AC simply requested a proper BP for their reassignment to seats in the Y cabin, that would have been a very reasonable request, IMHO. Otherwise, seeking downgrade compensation could have been a difficult proposition for them.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
If 3A and 3C still had boarding passes for those seats, I see a lawsuit looming, even with the "failure to follow crew instructions" rationalization.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
If 3A and 3C still had boarding passes for those seats, I see a lawsuit looming, even with the "failure to follow crew instructions" rationalization.
You can sue anyone for anything - so long as you cut a large enough check. Those pesky T & C things have a habit of killing them however. I still have a boarding pass for a flight I missed as I was 3 hours late perhaps I should sue them for not bringing the plane back ?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by relangford
They were late, which takes away IDB compensation to the best of my knowledge. What got me was the manager asking them to leave and then making a police threat without listening to what they had to say. It was a very fast jump to "Crew feels unsafe" from "Oh crap we let people on the plane with the same boarding pass".

Pragmatically they should have been issued new boarding passes at the gate and if they didn't like the number argued at that stage. Unless they were arrested or assaulted (as a note no one touched them or tried to lift them from the seat) I don't know about a lawsuit.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:50 pm

Were they connecting or originating?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fpc552
I don't know.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by fpc552
Best reply thus far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.