AS flight number on US metal (Any time soon?)

Old Sep 12, 14, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

AS flight number on US metal (Any time soon?)

Long-time lurker, first-time flyer.

Does anyone know when we can expect flights on US metal to have AS flight numbers?

At some time in the future I'll want to book a PIT-PBG flight using US rewards. PenAir flies BOS to PBG, and PenAir is an AS partner. If I wait for the AA-US rewards merger, then I should be able to redeem the miles through AS. But right now AS routes you on DL to BOS (PIT-CVG/DTW/ATL-BOS-PBG)...which is no good.
Old Sep 13, 14, 9:57 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Can't follow you... What's your question?

Last edited by Air Rarotonga; Sep 13, 14 at 1:37 pm
Old Sep 13, 14, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Yeah, that was confusing. Let me try again.

I want to fly PIT-BOS-PBG on a single ticket, using AA rewards. I want to fly the PIT-BOS leg on US, and the BOS-PBG leg on PenAir. I know I can book this through Alaska Air once flights on US metal get AS flight numbers. Question is: when will US flights get AS flight numbers?
Old Sep 13, 14, 10:17 am

Programs: None
It could be as far in the future as complete airline integration - 18 months from now more or less. That's when US will disappear and become just another part of AA. On the other hand, AS and US could announce a codeshare agreement tomorrow. Until something is announced officially no one knows.

Jim
Old Sep 15, 14, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
I didn't have time to check but can you even book something like this now with AA miles on a AA+AS coded PenAir operated? Im thinking you can't, if that's the case merger won't change anything.

PIT-PBG wont earn any US miles since its only an AS partner. I believe only the ANC-DUT flights earn AA miles since its considered an AS flight ie you can't even book it on Penairs own website but i could be mistaken

I looked at revenue tickets on Orbitz DFW-PBG and PIT-PBG and none of the options allowed on AA metal or US metal. It only combines DL + UA with the AS coded PenAir Operated.

Last edited by CDKing; Sep 15, 14 at 7:28 am
Old Sep 15, 14, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
I don't see an AA BOS to PBG codeshare currently, so doubtful there will ever be a US one.
Old Sep 16, 14, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by flyallegheny View Post
Yeah, that was confusing. Let me try again.

I want to fly PIT-BOS-PBG on a single ticket, using AA rewards. I want to fly the PIT-BOS leg on US, and the BOS-PBG leg on PenAir. I know I can book this through Alaska Air once flights on US metal get AS flight numbers. Question is: when will US flights get AS flight numbers?
This is just more confusing. By "AA rewards" do you mean "Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles"? If so, codesharing is not directly relevant; you need US Airways to become a Mileage Plan partner. So assuming that your question is really when US flights will get AS (Alaska Airlines) flight numbers, the answers others (such as BoeingBoy) have provided are obviously right: there's no public word, and I'm not aware of any public statements that US and AS will ever become partners before US is fully absorbed into AA.

If by "AA rewards" you mean American Airlines AAdvantage miles, it's unlikely that you'll ever be able to do so, as AS's partnership with PenAir is irrelevant when using AA miles. But you can certainly use AA (American Airlines) miles now for a US nonstop on PIT-BOS.

(It is likely that if US and AS become frequent flyer partners, they would also start some codesharing, but it's a separate concept. And even if some US flights get AS flight numbers, it's very unlikely that all US flights would get AS flight numbers, and PIT-BOS probably isn't high on the list. Many AA flights do not currently have AS flight numbers, but awards on all AA flights can be redeemed with AS miles.)

Search this Thread