Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy up to Preferred 2015

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I just received an offer to buy GP for 2015 for $1199. I have been GP for about 10 straight years (and one year PP) -- but this year I have flown no paid flights at all. (It's been a weird year.)

Buying GP for $1199 with no miles flown this year doesn't seem like a bad deal. Thoughts?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by tommyleo
I just received an offer to buy GP for 2015 for $1199. I have been GP for about 10 straight years (and one year PP) -- but this year I have flown no paid flights at all. (It's been a weird year.)

Buying GP for $1199 with no miles flown this year doesn't seem like a bad deal. Thoughts?
Depends how much you fly. Remember, once US DM becomes AA, you will have to pay for upgrades with stickers.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat

See? There is one of those great targeted offers that I never get!

I'd go for it!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:05 am

Simple, if you have flown no miles in 2014 and you think it will continue i.e. no miles in 2015 then it is 1199 wasted. If you are going to travel may be a 4 or 5 trips in 2015, I would personally sit in the back of the bus then pay $1199. If you think you are going to do more than say 5-10 trips then may be it is worth it. You will not have any 500 miles upgrades in 2015 carrying over from 2014. So unless you have many trips before the programs are combined, you will still sit in the back of the bus till you get enough vouchers. However there is a caveat, if most of your trips are less than 500 miles, then you will get the upgrades automatically if available, but then is it worth the cost for say a ten 60 minute flights.

So it depends on what you see on the travel horizon. You have to weigh your potential travel plans to make a decision.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
After I fly next week, I will be stuck at Platinum. I would love to get some sort of targeted offer. Does anyone have any theories on how they select the targets?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

Originally Posted by miffSC
See? There is one of those great targeted offers that I never get!

I'd go for it!
Originally Posted by pkr529
After I fly next week, I will be stuck at Platinum. I would love to get some sort of targeted offer. Does anyone have any theories on how they select the targets?
This isn't a "targeted offer" per se but the new Buy Up to Preferred program. Current US elites can "renew" or those close to an elite level can "boost".

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...preferred.html

Boost your status

You can boost to the next level if you’re within 15,000 Preferred-qualifying miles or 15 segments of your desired status at year's end. Plus, you’ll start enjoying your benefits in 5 business days.

Renew your status

You can renew to the same status or lower, unless you’re Chairman’s Preferred, in which case you are eligible to renew to Gold or Silver. Renewed status is effective March 1, 2015.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
Once again those of us who did a few extra trips on US to get Platinum are orphans in this program. I should have stopped at 50k miles as I am getting no extra benefit. I have intermittently been Chairman or bought up for about 5 years. No option to be more than Gold now with 80k miles flown - it leaves a bad feeling towards the merger. I wonder if there will be some sort of recognition for Platinum for 2015 to help ease the pain?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by steves
Once again those of us who did a few extra trips on US to get Platinum are orphans in this program. I should have stopped at 50k miles as I am getting no extra benefit. I have intermittently been Chairman or bought up for about 5 years. No option to be more than Gold now with 80k miles flown - it leaves a bad feeling towards the merger. I wonder if there will be some sort of recognition for Platinum for 2015 to help ease the pain?
If you have the time and cash, 2 MRs to ANC can get you to CP since you're in the NE.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
OK. Now, here's a different question.

I'll be at 54 segments by Dec. 31. I don't have any time between now and then to do a MR, unfortunately.

If I don't buy up, I'll be stuck at Gold. Womp womp.

For $699, I can buy up to Platinum.

I'm going to be flying more in 2015. Aside from the extra bag and a slightly better chance for upgrades, I won't be gaining all that much. I don't do a ton of long flights and my upgrade chances as a GP were ~75% in 2014.

Is it worth buying up? Just seems like such a waste after all this flying to be lumped in again with the peons.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: WFBF
First, keep in mind that you're buying up to AA Platinum, not US Platinum (since US Platinum will cease to exist in 2015, and buy up to it is not offered).

So what you're buying up to is a tier with the same rough qualification requirements as pmUS Gold, though once the merge hits the benefits will downgrade to pmAA Platinum -- you'll have to earn and spend the 500-mile upgrade instruments if you want to be up front, and all you'll get in return is some bonus RDM.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by seravaf

I'll be at 54 segments by Dec. 31. I don't have any time between now and then to do a MR, unfortunately.

If I don't buy up, I'll be stuck at Gold. Womp womp.

For $699, I can buy up to Platinum.
If it is 54 segments, then it is $899 and not $699. You need 55 to be able to boost for $699.
You will be stuck on Silver actually (until the full merge - then you are AA Gold which is basically the same as US Silver). Up to you if you want to move from the lowest elite level to the middle one - this is the question here really. If I was you, I would - especially if you have international trips coming up. The good news is that you have enough time to decide.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:00 am
Formerly known as jlars77

Originally Posted by Venabili
If it is 54 segments, then it is $899 and not $699. You need 55 to be able to boost for $699.
You will be stuck on Silver actually (until the full merge - then you are AA Gold which is basically the same as US Silver). Up to you if you want to move from the lowest elite level to the middle one - this is the question here really. If I was you, I would - especially if you have international trips coming up. The good news is that you have enough time to decide.
100% mileage bonus and free MCE selection would likely be worth it if you're going to fly a lot next year. I believe there are some alliance partner benefits in OW relative to checked bags which may or may not matter to you.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I guess what I don't get is that if you are going to continue to fly US metal next year, then Platinum still means Platinum for nearly all of the year, or until the merge. You'll get stickers for the >500 mi AA flights. My point is that plat still has a lot of value.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cooper21
I guess what I don't get is that if you are going to continue to fly US metal next year, then Platinum still means Platinum for nearly all of the year, or until the merge. You'll get stickers for the >500 mi AA flights. My point is that plat still has a lot of value.
That's my read as well. Is there something we are missing?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: US CP | MR PL | HH Diamond | Hertz PC
Now even I am confused...

Originally Posted by Cooper21
I just happen to be sitting at 74,407 miles with no plan to travel in the next 20 days. Are you saying there is actually a reason for me to go do a quick mileage run?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.