Boston Logan Minimum connection time?

Old Jul 22, 14, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Boston Logan Minimum connection time?

Hi Mods, please move if this isn't the right place. I searched and didn't see a master thread to post my question.

I have the following connection and I'm wondering if I have enough time for the connection?

NRT to BOS arriving 10:15am on JAL (Looks like terminal E)
BOS to LGA departing 12:00pm on US Airways (Looks like terminal B)

I read that it takes about a 7 min walk from terminals E to C to B. I am in business so I am hoping that will help with timing.

Since I will need to go through immigration/customs, will I have enough time to make my connection? Also, will I need to take my luggage and check in again when I get to terminal B or will they automatically transfer it for me?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 22, 14, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Shortcut: If it displays as a flight option, it is legal.

The MCT for JL international arrival to US (not generic U.S.) domestic departure at BOS is 90 minutes as displayed by ExpertFlyer.

You will need to clear Customs with luggage in hand at BOS and then can use the luggage recheck desk if you had it tagged to LGA.
Old Jul 22, 14, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Shortcut: If it displays as a flight option, it is legal.

The MCT for JL international arrival to US (not generic U.S.) domestic departure at BOS is 90 minutes as displayed by ExpertFlyer.

You will need to clear Customs with luggage in hand at BOS and then can use the luggage recheck desk if you had it tagged to LGA.
Thanks so much for your response!

Unfortunately this wasn't a flight option since there wasn't availability coming back to NYC so the agent I spoke to found the BOS to LGA connection for me to get me a flight back to NYC. I tried recreating this booking myself, but I don't think it's an option since the only option is JFK on the JL site. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong...
Old Jul 22, 14, 12:55 pm

Programs: None
You should be fine unless your inbound to BOS is running really late.

Jim
Old Jul 22, 14, 1:39 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
The walk from Terminal E to Terminal B in Boston is likely to take more than 7 minutes. You will also need to clear security in Terminal B. But I wouldn't worry about the schedule as long as it's all on one reservation. US flies hourly BOS-LGA and will just put you on the 1 PM flight if you miss your connection.

There is also a free shuttle bus (at most times of day) that circles around the airport without going to the T stop. In your case it would run E-A-B. If you take this, note that Terminal B has more than one stop, and be sure to get off at the US Shuttle stop.

Last edited by JPG3392; Jul 22, 14 at 1:43 pm Reason: Added second paragraph.
Old Jul 22, 14, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy View Post
You should be fine unless your inbound to BOS is running really late.Jim
Originally Posted by JPG3392 View Post
The walk from Terminal E to Terminal B in Boston is likely to take more than 7 minutes. You will also need to clear security in Terminal B. But I wouldn't worry about the schedule as long as it's all on one reservation. US flies hourly BOS-LGA and will just put you on the 1 PM flight if you miss your connection.

There is also a free shuttle bus (at most times of day) that circles around the airport without going to the T stop. In your case it would run E-A-B. If you take this, note that Terminal B has more than one stop, and be sure to get off at the US Shuttle stop.
Thanks so much! It's good to know that US flies frequently from BOS to LGA!

thanks for the tip on the shuttle too. I think I might take the scenic route and try to walk it
Old Jul 22, 14, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
The route is anything but scenic :-P
Old Jul 22, 14, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thenecropolist View Post
I was being sarcastic...
Old Jul 23, 14, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic
Originally Posted by thenecropolist View Post
Actually you could route by the 9/11 memorial and make it a bit more interesting (if not depressing).
Old Jul 26, 14, 9:13 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I'm doing this the opposite direction in a few weeks, xxx-BOS-LHR, connecting US to BA. It's on one ticket; MCT is something like 60 or 65 min, and I will have 70 or 75 min. I'll report back on the experience (have flown to/from BOS many times, but never connected there).
Old Jul 26, 14, 1:59 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
In addition to the shuttle bus that stops at all the terminals, you could also take the Silver Line bus that does the same before going to downtown Boston. The Silver Line uses a different stop, and is free on this route.
Old Jul 26, 14, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't worry about whether you do or don't make the 12:00 Noon shuttle to LGA. It's hourly service and if you misconnect, you will be on the 1, 2 or later, all depending on how late you are into BOS.
Old Jul 26, 14, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone! =)
Old Oct 7, 14, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What do you guys think of a 90 minute connection time in BOS from PHL-BOS to an Aer Lingus award ticket to Dublin? It would be on separate tickets. If my memory is right, that would be a B to E connection. I'm sure it's "legal," but it seems risky to me -- mostly the on-time reliability of the PHL-BOS flight. It seems like every time I fly that route, especially in the afternoon, there's a delay.

Physically, I'm thinking it's probably 20 minutes between gates (walking), plus 10 minutes for security. No checked luggage involved, but I'm not sure if I can get an Aer Lingus boarding pass in advance (I'm guessing I could).

A flight with a 2 1/2 connection will cost me $50 more. Money well spent?
Old Oct 8, 14, 8:55 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
One thing you need to consider is if you are checking bags onward to Dublin is if your bags can check in before the cut off. You can probably make it but you might have issues at the ticket counter.

Search this Thread