"A flight cannot depart less than 1 hour after your previous flight arrives"

Old Jul 21, 14, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
"A flight cannot depart less than 1 hour after your previous flight arrives"

Hey guys, need some advice.

I need one more segment run to finish my Gold Trial. The cheapest/fastest method I could do was a r/t San-Phx-Tus.

I want to do an immediate turn on the Phx-Tus-Phx segment, which is only 45 minutes in between scheduled times. It wouldn't be an issue, as it is going (well should be) the same plane doing the return. When I select it though, I get the error message:

A flight cannot depart less than 1 hour after your previous flight arrives. Please change your selections.

So, what's the best thing to do? I could book two separate One-Way Tickets, which would probably be the best thing to do - will this generate any fuss anywhere?

Or I could book a later return and attempt to moveup, but I don't know if this would be a (computer) problem due to the small turnaround time. Anyone tried this before, or any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 14, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
You need to book it as one-ways if you are committed to this specific plan.

Rasheed
Old Jul 21, 14, 1:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Isn't the MCT in PHX >35 minutes? Or am I missing something?
Old Jul 21, 14, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
Isn't the MCT in PHX >35 minutes? Or am I missing something?
This would be for Tuscon. There is over 35 minutes in PHX. I don't think this is based on MCT's though (It comes up in any airport when the new flights are less than one hour apart (which would be for the immediate turns) - I'm guessing since its a return flight it's not a "connecting" flight.
Old Jul 21, 14, 2:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat 2.3MM; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite; National Car Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
This would be for Tuscon. There is over 35 minutes in PHX. I don't think this is based on MCT's though (It comes up in any airport when the new flights are less than one hour apart (which would be for the immediate turns) - I'm guessing since its a return flight it's not a "connecting" flight.
Correct. It has nothing to due with connecting times but rather is seen as a return flight.
Old Jul 21, 14, 2:16 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
As Rasheed had mentioned, you need to book it as one ways as opposed to round-trip. I tried booking an US codeshare on United trying to do an immediate turn at SFO last year and I forget what the MCT was but it was met - it might have been 45 minutes and there were 50 minutes between flights but the US website won't let me book it. It is coded not to check MCTs if under an hour apparently. I don't know if an agent might be able to book it for you over the phone. At least, you can argue with a person that the MCT has been met. If you can book it on the site as 2 one ways without a price increase, just do that. Ultimately, these are 2 US Airways flights. Now, that they are in OneWorld, they have to reaccommodate you on another flight if you miss your return flight even if on separate tickets since you're connecting from a OW carrier to a OW carrier, i. e. US to US. Good Luck!
Old Jul 21, 14, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
Or book it through Travelocity or another OTA.
Old Jul 21, 14, 3:06 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Odd. Are you booking on AA website or US? I don't think AA.com (or SABRE) has logic that would prevent this as long as the itinerary meets MCT. Is there a published MCT at TUS?

I know for a fact that I have been able to purchase itineraries like:
DFW-ACT
ACT-DFW-xxx
on AA.com using the same flight between DFW-ACT as ACT-DFW with about a 25 minute "connection" on the equipment that is turned.

What happens if you try and book the PHX-TUS RT on the other airline's website?
Old Jul 21, 14, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
Odd. Are you booking on AA website or US? I don't think AA.com (or SABRE) has logic that would prevent this as long as the itinerary meets MCT. Is there a published MCT at TUS?

I know for a fact that I have been able to purchase itineraries like:
DFW-ACT
ACT-DFW-xxx
on AA.com using the same flight between DFW-ACT as ACT-DFW with about a 25 minute "connection" on the equipment that is turned.

What happens if you try and book the PHX-TUS RT on the other airline's website?
This was directly through US. AA puts up a fight, you have to specify multicity and then manually put in the times, and it only shows up one pair of (later) US flights.

And back to the MCT time, I'm not really concerned about that if I book two one way's since it would be the same plane turning around to go out. From a logistics/computer side I see how it could be an issue, but from what I'll be doing I'm not concerned.

I booked two one way's...I was just asking if that would flag someone/thing down the road for doing this.

Thanks for all the input!
Old Jul 21, 14, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 777Pax View Post
Or book it through Travelocity or another OTA.
Interestingly enough, I just searched Kayak, found the flights, and it sent me to US and bypassed the warning message.
Old Jul 21, 14, 6:16 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
MCT at TUS is 30m.
Old Jul 21, 14, 8:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled PLEASE READ ME BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Jul 22, 14, 6:18 am

Programs: really nothing anymore
Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post
MCT at TUS is 30m.
That must be a minimum mct . I can't see any connection in Tucson taking 30 minutes. Maybe if the inbound flight is late and you need to go from a US gate in the B concourse to a AA flight in the A concourse and security at the A concourse is really really slow you might need 15 minutes...
Old Jul 22, 14, 6:25 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct View Post
Now, that they are in OneWorld, they have to reaccommodate you on another flight if you miss your return flight even if on separate tickets since you're connecting from a OW carrier to a OW carrier, i. e. US to US. Good Luck!
Whoa let's drill down on that sentence some. Are you saying I have to be reaccommodated by the airline if I miss my flight and the airline wasn't at fault? I do this a lot when I'm on a award ticket on the transatlantic portion to Europe but a separate cash ticket when I connect in Europe or vis a versa. I always sweat arriving late and missing that connection on a sperate itinerary/reservation. Are you saying OW rules require the airline to put me on the next flight if I miss the connection? If so then that is an awesome perk I didn't know about.

Go Gators
Old Jul 22, 14, 7:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by GNVGator View Post
Whoa let's drill down on that sentence some. Are you saying I have to be reaccommodated by the airline if I miss my flight and the airline wasn't at fault? I do this a lot when I'm on a award ticket on the transatlantic portion to Europe but a separate cash ticket when I connect in Europe or vis a versa. I always sweat arriving late and missing that connection on a sperate itinerary/reservation. Are you saying OW rules require the airline to put me on the next flight if I miss the connection? If so then that is an awesome perk I didn't know about.

Go Gators
AA has it in their guidelines - http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp

"If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed passengers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement."

I am not sure about any other OW carrier. I have separate tickets on QF next month and asked over on the QF board about the connection, and didn't hear anything about being protected via a written rule like this. If there is one OneWorld wide, I would love to know.

Search this Thread