Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

will I have problems bringing a car headlight as carry-on flying US Airways flight?

will I have problems bringing a car headlight as carry-on flying US Airways flight?

 
Old Jul 18, 14, 10:07 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 74
will I have problems bringing a car headlight as carry-on flying US Airways flight?

will I have problems bringing a car headlight as carry-on flying
US Airways flight? (mainline A321 flight and a PSA RJ200 flight)

I do not have any other carry-on, except maybe a small backpack
(with only my laptop inside)


Only one new headlight. The headlight is about 24 inches from
end to end. It's still in the unopend original box, but I guess I can
carry it in a plastic bag or wrapped in a thin sheet of bubblewrap?

Below is what it looks like.... the thing costs $580.60 for just one side,
so obviously a no-no for checked bags.

http://www.amazon.com/Acura-Passenge...+rDX+headlight



Thanks!
tropicaliceberg is offline  
Old Jul 18, 14, 10:37 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: MCO
Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood, Priority Club, Fairmont Presidents
Posts: 315
I've carried stranger things. It's not on the prohibited list, there shouldn't be a problem. That said, I might wrap it in many layers of bubbles wrap and nestle it into a sturdy box surrounded by packing peanuts and send it FedEx with insurance.
Annerk is offline  
Old Jul 18, 14, 11:22 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,558
will I have problems bringing a car headlight as carry-on flying US Airways flight?

The link you give states it's 29" long. That's a lot longer than the standard carry on and might get turned away. If its boxed the dimensions will probably be even bigger. If you can carry it on hopefully you're in a high boarding group because its going to take up a lot of overhead space. On the Express flight it probably won't be allowed as carry on as those bins are much smaller on some a/c.
GalleyWench is offline  
Old Jul 18, 14, 11:25 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: WFBF
Posts: 961
I want to see an officer demand that you power it on before letting you board with it...
ubernostrum is offline  
Old Jul 18, 14, 11:29 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,558
will I have problems bringing a car headlight as carry-on flying US Airways flight?

Carry on size allowed is 22x14x9
Your item minus the box is 29x16.3x10.4
GalleyWench is offline  
Old Jul 18, 14, 12:06 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: PHX
Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Posts: 929
As far as just bringing a headlight it shouldn't be a problem, but I think the size of this one would make it a problem. I wouldn't want to get all the way to the airport to find out it isn't flying in the cabin.

Might want to go with UPS on this one.
Lost is offline  
Old Jul 18, 14, 8:04 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by GalleyWench View Post
Carry on size allowed is 22x14x9
Your item minus the box is 29x16.3x10.4
I opened the box and took the headlight out.

The measurements are 21.3 inches x 11.5 inches x 9.7 inches.
(based on the longest distance on each side) The headlight
weighs only 9.83 pounds, according to both my kitchen scale
and bathroom scale.

I tested the bubblewraps... it basically added another 1/4-inch
to all sides.

Think I'll squeeze past the carry-on size limit?

Thanks!
tropicaliceberg is offline  
Old Jul 18, 14, 9:55 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,558
will I have problems bringing a car headlight as carry-on flying US Airways flight?

Maybe on the 321 but not sure about the Express. I'm not familiar with the overhead dimensions on that a/c hopefully someone will chime in. Do you have any status with US? Your boarding order will also play into the 321 flight.
GalleyWench is offline  
Old Jul 18, 14, 10:47 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by GalleyWench View Post
Maybe on the 321 but not sure about the Express. I'm not familiar with the overhead dimensions on that a/c hopefully someone will chime in. Do you have any status with US? Your boarding order will also play into the 321 flight.
Yeah, I don't think I want to take the chance that it doesn't fit into the overhead bins of the PSA CRJ200. It may or may not. I'm just gonna pony up the $46 that UPS and FedEx Ground want and ship them. (fully insured)

Life is too short to take chances, right?
tropicaliceberg is offline  
Old Jul 19, 14, 5:58 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: ALB
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Posts: 431
Originally Posted by tropicaliceberg View Post
Yeah, I don't think I want to take the chance that it doesn't fit into the overhead bins of the PSA CRJ200. It may or may not. I'm just gonna pony up the $46 that UPS and FedEx Ground want and ship them. (fully insured)

Life is too short to take chances, right?
Based on the dimensions quoted above, no way it would fit in a CRJ overhead. UPS is your best bet.
gruss is offline  
Old Jul 19, 14, 12:56 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CLT
Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Posts: 7,251
Originally Posted by tropicaliceberg View Post
Yeah, I don't think I want to take the chance that it doesn't fit into the overhead bins of the PSA CRJ200. It may or may not. I'm just gonna pony up the $46 that UPS and FedEx Ground want and ship them. (fully insured)

Life is too short to take chances, right?
Good choice.
coachrowsey is offline  
Old Jul 19, 14, 3:24 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,558
will I have problems bringing a car headlight as carry-on flying US Airways flight?

Excellent choice. You'd feel terrible if someone crammed a steamer trunk next to it in the overhead and broke it or you were forced to gate check it.
GalleyWench is offline  
Old Jul 21, 14, 4:02 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PIT/YYZ
Programs: US Silver, OW Ruby
Posts: 256
For the future, if you are traveling with someone you know (or if you know that your flight is going to be quite empty), you could put it under the seat in front of you. I've done this a number of times with a full size carry-on for PIT-YYZ and YTZ-YUL flights, which tend to be quite empty, or if I have a super tight connection, and have an empty seat next to me. Personally, on the flights I've been on, the FA's were OK with it, but I can imagine that not all would be.
usAir is offline  
Old Jul 21, 14, 9:03 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 24,029
Originally Posted by usAir View Post
For the future, if you are traveling with someone you know (or if you know that your flight is going to be quite empty), you could put it under the seat in front of you. I've done this a number of times with a full size carry-on for PIT-YYZ and YTZ-YUL flights, which tend to be quite empty, or if I have a super tight connection, and have an empty seat next to me. Personally, on the flights I've been on, the FA's were OK with it, but I can imagine that not all would be.
On US Express (regional jet) flights??? In case you missed it, the OP clarified later that one leg of their flight would be on US Express.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 22, 14 at 7:58 pm Reason: corrected United vs US typo
sdsearch is offline  
Old Jul 22, 14, 7:57 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
On United Express (regional jet) flights??? In case you missed it, the OP clarified later that one leg of their flight would be on United Express.
OP here.... I'm flying United Express??? I had no idea!
tropicaliceberg is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread