Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dilemma w/US Airways - 36 min connection in PHX possible?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Dilemma w/US Airways - 36 min connection in PHX possible?

I need to purchase a ticket from SJC to NY. US Air has it for $289 w/1 stop in PHX. The connection time is 36 mins. It would be wonderful to get the miles but the connection is scary. This flight leaves 2hrs prior to the flight noted below.

Jetblue has a nonstop from OAK that arrives around same time as the PHX-NY flight. But that is $37 more. In addition, I have to add up the costs to get from SJC to OAK via public transit.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Possible, yes, and probably more possible at PHX than many other hubs as it's relatively easy to navigate. Would I personally do it? No, not at PHX or anywhere else - there's just zero margin for even a slight delay if your second flight is on time.

If it's still your best option, is it at least not the last flight of the day?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
I'd probably take a look at the on-time performance of that SJC-PHX flight.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: None
And therein is the problem with the minimum connection times. 14 minutes late is officially on time. Then throw in closing out the outbound flight 10 minutes early. Poof - 24 minutes of that 36 minute connection just disappeared even though both flights were "on time".

Jim
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: DM, AA, UA,HH,Priority, Amtrak, Starwwod, BA, Marriott
I would say a strong "no". Terminal 4 is bigger than it appears. Plus, ( and I don't know this for a fact) I believe US Airways posts that they close the gate several minutes (10?) prior to take-off and I know there have been several stories of their ironclad refusal to open up. Forgiver me if this is in-correct -- I'm not an US Airways -basher.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by phlwookie
Possible, yes, and probably more possible at PHX than many other hubs as it's relatively easy to navigate. Would I personally do it? No
+1
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum, AA Gold
i would pay the $37 more for the direct. for reference, i had an LAS-JFK flight two weeks ago that was supposed to have 1hr connection time in PHX, but the LAS-PHX flight was delayed 1hr, and the PHX-JFK flight was "on time". When the plane touched down in PHX, the steward made an announcement to those connecting to the PHX-JFK flight that the plane may or may not still be there. I ran and caught the plane and told the gate agent there were more running behind me. after grabbing my first class seat, the plane hung around for another 30 minutes for the checked bags to be transported from 1 plane to the other. suspect the PHX-JFK plane waited only because both flights were us airways operated, and there were 10 passengers connecting from the LAS-PHX flight. my party had 5 people in first class... its possible they crunched the numbers and realized it made sense to wait for the 10 passengers connecting (of which 5 took up half of the first class cabin haha)
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Non-Stop for +$37 vs. sitting at PHX forever waiting to be rebooked? How hard is that?

Remember, US requires OP to be at the xPHX gate by no later than T-15. There may be people who have no options, so they take this. But, OP has options, so he shouldn't.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:30 am

Connecting in PHX from SJC to anywhere seems to be a 30-45 minute connection. I've done 40 minutes many times with no trouble at all.(Stress every time but made it) The morning SJC-PHX flight has good onetime performance. The afternoon one not so good.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by ETManning
I would say a strong "no". Terminal 4 is bigger than it appears. Plus, ( and I don't know this for a fact) I believe US Airways posts that they close the gate several minutes (10?) prior to take-off and I know there have been several stories of their ironclad refusal to open up. Forgiver me if this is in-correct -- I'm not an US Airways -basher.
Yes, it's a fact. Not too long ago a mechanical delay in CLT caused me to arrive at the connecting flight on USExpress at T-8. The GA was almost gleeful that she had shut the door at T-10. No matter that pushback ended up being 2 minutes early (small commuter AC) or that I'm a Chairman. I would never book such a tight connection in Phoenix, no matter what time of day.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
I've done it across terminal 4 from low A to high B in 20 minutes with a ticket problem resolved at the gate so it is doable. If you end up with not enough time then catch a plane to LAX and fly to SJC that night. Sounds like you'd really like those miles. I'd risk it if it were me.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
I would do it. Is there a risk that you end up waiting for the next flight out of PHX? yes. Would I do it if I HAD to be in NY that night? no. But I think 80-90% of the time it will work out without breaking a sweat.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Its become a moot point. The flight price went up from $289 to $340 in a matter of hours today. Anyhow, the reason I was debating US was because there is no onboard entertainment, the seats are worse than JB and I didn't want a connection which would leave me up in the air for 2 extra hours on US' cramped seating. The pro was to bank miles on US because of the connection.

Moreover, I don't want to deal with a short connection even though it's being offered by US on their website. Plus there is no additional US flight out of PHX to NYC after the one I would've taken. Would they have put me on a JB flight from PHX if I missed the US flight(that is the only n/s flight out of PHX to JFK after US')? I don't know but that would be a risky bet.

The MCT must be a really small amount of time for PHX.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Unlikely that if you misconnect, US would put you on any other carrier.

2. MCT doesn't mean SCT (Sensible Connect Time). There are times when I am grateful for the ability to book a very tight connection because I have commitments on both ends of an itinerary. But, I limit booking these to situations where it's the only way to get it done.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by nas6034
Plus there is no additional US flight out of PHX to NYC after the one I would've taken..
Evidently you didn't notice the PHX-EWR redeye that leaves about 20 min after PHX-JFK.

Rather than put you on B6, more than likely they would fly you on PHX-BOS (provided space, of course), connecting on to NYC. And truthfully getting over to T3 (where B6 is located at PHX), along with any ticketing issues, would have meant a very close connection for that option as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.