A US Airways Express Flight Nearly Collided With a Drone

Old May 9, 2014, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
A US Airways Express Flight Nearly Collided With a Drone

FAA officials have confirmed that a US Airways Express jet nearly collided with a small, remotely controlled drone in Tallahassee, FL at the end of March. The pilot reported seeing the camo-painted drone fly so close that he was sure an impact was very likely. In situations like that, it is also very likely that a drone could get pulled into the jet's engine.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...march/8904829/

Is wrong of me to assume that common sense would keep the average Joe from taking his RC drone out for a day of flying near a commercial airport? SMH
Old May 9, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Its only going to get worse as more and more are up in the air.
Old May 9, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
As an avid, responsible 'drone' flyer (using them for commercial purposes is legal here in Canada, under certain conditions) I get angry when I see crap like this because it ruins it for everyone else.

It's like cyclists who complain about cars not respecting their space, but then riding on the sidewalk or running stoplights like the rules don't apply to them. Sometimes, we are all our own worst enemy.
Old May 9, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by FTcadence
Is wrong of me to assume that common sense would keep the average Joe from taking his RC drone out for a day of flying near a commercial airport? SMH
Yes. Common sense, sadly, is not that common.
Old May 9, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL plat
Tragedy of the commons.
Old May 9, 2014, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by FTcadence
Common sense would dictate that, but your error is in assuming some folks have common sense.
Old May 9, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Boogie711
As an avid, responsible 'drone' flyer (using them for commercial purposes is legal here in Canada, under certain conditions) I get angry when I see crap like this because it ruins it for everyone else.

It's like cyclists who complain about cars not respecting their space, but then riding on the sidewalk or running stoplights like the rules don't apply to them. Sometimes, we are all our own worst enemy.
Lord, yes. This exactly.
Old May 9, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
deleted

Last edited by bennytma; May 9, 2014 at 6:20 pm Reason: off topic
Old May 9, 2014, 10:57 pm

An RC and "drone" are quite different, this is just the media trying to scare the public into jumping onboard the "all drones are evil" way of thinking, which is evident by the way they throw that term around for a simple remote controlled hobby airplane. This was just some clown with a remote controlled plane flying around an airport, these incidents are nothing new and have been going on for decades. "Drones" as flown by the military and contracting companies have very strict regulations right now as they attempt to implement them into the national air space.
Agree with Boogie and the others about common sense, but this article has nothing to do with unmanned aerial vehicles/systems, aka "drones."
Old May 9, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Originally Posted by Boogie711
...cyclists who complain about cars not respecting their space, but then riding on the sidewalk or running stoplights like the rules don't apply to them.
Or you pass them, then get to a red light, and about 30 seconds later they come flying up in between everyone, bumping your mirrors with their handlebars, then they hold up the front of the line and slow everyone down until you can pass them again. So for the next block they decide to ride two abreast in the only lane.

But god forbid you jump in a taxi in a bicycle lane...

Oh, right, so we're talking about drones.

Last edited by AS MHT; May 9, 2014 at 11:40 pm
Old May 10, 2014, 11:20 am

Tallahasse just is not that big and this is probably the only F4 in town. If the FAA is interested in locating the pilot, they should send an investigator to the local RC club flying venue at the abandoned county landfill on any Saturday morning to start asking questions.

Once the story gets out, justice will be swift.
Old May 10, 2014, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by uav_op
An RC and "drone" are quite different, this is just the media trying to scare the public into jumping onboard the "all drones are evil" way of thinking, which is evident by the way they throw that term around for a simple remote controlled hobby airplane. This was just some clown with a remote controlled plane flying around an airport, these incidents are nothing new and have been going on for decades. "Drones" as flown by the military and contracting companies have very strict regulations right now as they attempt to implement them into the national air space.
Agree with Boogie and the others about common sense, but this article has nothing to do with unmanned aerial vehicles/systems, aka "drones."
No, actually, the media is not trying to "scare the public".

The media must be educated along with all of us. Your explanations are quite interesting. Present them in a positive manner and people will listen.
Old May 10, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
The media isn't trying to scare the public. They're trying to desensitize the public to the word so that they won't protest the military's use of UAVs.

A "drone" is an unmanned autonomous vehicle. The military UAVs fit this description as they can be programmed and left alone to carry out a task. A radio controlled airplane/helicopter/quadcopter, etc is NOT a "drone" because it is not autonomous. There needs to be someone at the controls at all times. Also, radio controlled helicopters are made of lightweight plastics and styrofoam. It is likely that a collision would result in less damage than a bird strike.
Old May 11, 2014, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Apparently the model plane / "drone" was flying at 2,300 ft, five miles from the airport. Apart from being so close to the airport, why on earth was this thing being flown at 2,300 ft..?
Old May 11, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
A few random thoughts/questions:
Has it been determined if this was an RC airplane or a helicopter? Is every helicopter now a drone?
Also, I'm surprised that a pilot going 175+ mph could identify an object that small, no matter how close it got.
I'm not trying to minimize, but this whole thing seems to be getting sensationalistic. An RC hobby aircraft at worst might break a prop, but a lot has to line up right for that to happen. And the plane would still land safely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.