Wiki Posts
Search

US757 PHL SJU, no IFE

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
US757 PHL SJU, no IFE

First time flying mixed itinerary AA/US. On the US portion, US757 PHL-SJU there was no IFE, screens where off, is this normal? It's a 3.5hrs flight. No announcement made on it, just wondering if this normal. Other than that, service was great. Excellent meal and the FA was very attentive.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
As per licensing agreements, those screens are always supposed to be off when not on a TATL route. Sometimes they leave them on (I know I've had them on for PHL-MCO), but that would the exception, not the rule.
Old May 9, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
As per licensing agreements, those screens are always supposed to be off when not on a TATL route. Sometimes they leave them on (I know I've had them on for PHL-MCO), but that would the exception, not the rule.
I actually flew PHL-MIA-PHL earlier this week on the 757-200 for both legs. The IFE was enabled both times and after asking the FA she stated that the new policy was to have it enabled on planes that have it even for domestic flights (to match AA service). Since it was a <3 flight they didn't show a movie but there was about 2 hours worth of NBC content shown.
Old May 9, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by steve65341
I actually flew PHL-MIA-PHL earlier this week on the 757-200 for both legs. The IFE was enabled both times and after asking the FA she stated that the new policy was to have it enabled on planes that have it even for domestic flights (to match AA service). Since it was a <3 flight they didn't show a movie but there was about 2 hours worth of NBC content shown.
That's excellent news!
Old May 10, 2014, 8:57 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
after asking the FA she stated that the new policy was to have it enabled on planes that have it even for domestic flights (to match AA service).
If it is, in fact, a new policy that's great. The web site still isn't updated to reflect this though.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...r/default.html

"Enjoy blockbuster movies, TV shows and audio programs on flights to/from Europe, Hawaii, the Middle East and South America"
Old May 11, 2014, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by PHL
If it is, in fact, a new policy that's great. The web site still isn't updated to reflect this though.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...r/default.html

"Enjoy blockbuster movies, TV shows and audio programs on flights to/from Europe, Hawaii, the Middle East and South America"
^
Old May 12, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
On my US PHL-PHX flight last week on a 757, they did indeed show a movie (the new Hunger Games) and NBC programming. I was sitting next to a FA on the way back and asked her about it and said that the IFE went back on as of May 1 (to match AA).

The theme of the entire conversation was that to her it seems as if whatever they are doing on AA is now going to be the norm - good, bad, or otherwise.
Old May 12, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I flew A332 CLT-PHL (same bird that took me PHL-TLV little later) and IFE was on on both flights. Didn't ask why.
Old May 13, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
This is an improvement. Past flights on the 757/330 between PHL/CLT and AUA/SXM have never had any IFE. Does this mean that North American 330 flights now have the AVOD running?
Old May 13, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerAl
This is an improvement. Past flights on the 757/330 between PHL/CLT and AUA/SXM have never had any IFE. Does this mean that North American 330 flights now have the AVOD running?
They should be. Depends on if the cabin crew received the memo though
Old May 14, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by FlyerAl
Yes. See above CLT-PHL on A332 had AVOD running.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: None
The only thing I could foresee, IF the AVOD has the capability, is not playing movies on the short segments like CLT-PHL or CLT-MCO that don't have time for a movie.

Jim
Old May 14, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
The most recent US Airways magazine added "Domestic" to one of the headers describing what movies would be played on what flights.
Old May 14, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: None
It could well be that the AVOD is all or nothing and doesn't have the capability of turning movie access on or off separately. On the other hand, if the movies can be controlled separately I can see them for mid-con and longer flights. It just seems to be useless to offer a movie on the 45 minutes or so that the AVOD would be operating CLT-PHL and the like IF the choice of not showing a movie but having music/TV would still be available.

Jim
Old May 14, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by iztok
Yes. See above CLT-PHL on A332 had AVOD running.
Tonight's US 830 CLT-PHL on an A332 had the IFE off. I rode the same aircraft in a few hours earlier from FRA and we had no issues with it inbound from Germany, so I assume it was simply switched off. It's not a big deal for me but I know others want it on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.