Wiki Posts
Search

How can I get 2,063 miles ...quickly?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, US DM, El Al, SW RR
How can I get 2,063 miles ...quickly?

I have 47,937 miles in my account - so close to the magical 50,000 number... and I'm planning an LAX-YUL trip for me and my girlfriend on Memorial Day weekend (5/23).
While usually I can't find anything worth doing with my DM miles, this time it's especially enticing because there are round trips available for 25kmi/seat - an insane value (correct me if I'm wrong) given that this route currently costs $530+/seat across all airlines.

• I'd love to buy everyone gifts for Mother's Day, since $85 would cover my missing miles... but I understand it takes 6-9 weeks for the miles to post.
  • I could travel back in time 2 weeks, utilize the 50%-100% bonus to share miles with my girlfriend. Not.
  • I checked points.com. DM doesn't allow trades. Exchange with Delta SkyMiles is not allowed. The other 2 programs I have miles in are SW RR and El Al Matmid, which live in their own islands and don't interact with anything.
  • I can buy the missing 3,000 miles, which should cost me $105.

And the questions:
  1. Is there anything to do to speed up miles processing time?
  2. Any other ideas?
  3. Can I only buy DM miles in 1,000 increments?
  4. With US award travel, 1 month before the trip, is time of the essence the same way it is with SW ticket prices? Should I rush to book it because the 12.5k levels are likely to run out quickly?

Thanks!!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Do you have the credit card? You might try for it get instant approval and be able to use the 5k discount. Not sure how long it takes to show up in your acct.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
The credit card idea is good and I think the discount shows up within a few days of getting the card approved.

However, keep two things in mind. First, the longer you wait, obviously you risk those 25K seats not being available. Second, unless you have Gold or above status with US, after next Saturday you'll be less than 21 days before travel and you'll spend an extra $75/ticket "quick ticketing fee". So spending the $105 might be your best bet just to get things done.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:45 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
(deleted - missed a reply above)
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:03 am
Original Poster

I don't have the CC. Also, thanks for the heads up on the 21-day mark. Really bummed that I missed the miles sharing promo...
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:21 am

You can't just buy the miles from the airline?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:38 am

One word of caution: I wouldn't count on your desired reward ticket being available if you wait too long to get the miles!
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by zipo
You can't just buy the miles from the airline?
He can, see bullet #4 in the first post. I think it was more of how can he avoid paying $105 for them. In the OP's situation, it probably makes the most sense to buy them.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"there are round trips available for 25kmi/seat"

Are these award seats on US metal, or on AA metal? If on AA metal, you could redeem Matmid points for one ticket, and USDMs for the other.

If the award seats are on US metal, you could apply for a Barclays/DM credit card today, and hope that your DM account gets coded with the 5,000-mile discount in time for you to book the award seats before the close-in award fees kick in. (I'm not sure if the 5,000-mile award discount shows up as soon as you are [/b]approved[/b] for the Barclays card, or if you actually have to receive and activate the card first. A call to US or Barclays might be able to shed some light on that.)
Old May 7, 2014, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. In the end our plans changed, and I had enough miles for my immediate needs. I ordered some gifts from FTD with their 25 miles-per-dollar promo to fill the gap.

PS Even with a flexible schedule, it was remarkably hard to book the sought-after 12.5kmi flights. The award ticket availability calendar ignores your preference for number of stops, so it's useless in finding out when there are flights with 0 or 1 stops.
Old May 7, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
For future reference: If you don't already have a credit card (any card) registered with the US dining program, you can register a card, complete a brief profile, and have a meal meeting the conditions for a welcome bonus at a participating restaurant. I don't know the exact terms of the current offer, but usually it's about 3-4k miles, depending in part on the cost of your meal.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by JPG3392
For future reference: If you don't already have a credit card (any card) registered with the US dining program, you can register a card, complete a brief profile, and have a meal meeting the conditions for a welcome bonus at a participating restaurant. I don't know the exact terms of the current offer, but usually it's about 3-4k miles, depending in part on the cost of your meal.
Are there any attractive manufactured spending opportunities with idine?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.