Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need contact to elevate refund request to

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Need contact to elevate refund request to

I have a family member who had to change an award ticket on US because they were in the hospital. The change fee was $200. The refund request was submitted using the generic US website back on Feb 7, and I've heard nothing since then. Does anyone have a direct contact that could be used to at the very least get a response? The old Chairman's email address that I have gets bounced back...haven't used it in years.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Mods should probably change this to US as it was posted on the consolidated AA forum.

First place to go is your travel insurance. That will likely lead to a close to immediate refund of the penalty.

But, if your relative, -- not you -- chooses, the relative should call US (not AA) and explain the circumstances. The relative will likely be asked to submit a letter on stationery from their doctor or some other proof that they were required to be hospitalized at the time (not merely that they were in the hospital). When that is submitted, US will evaluate it and may choose to refund the $200. But, this is a manual process and is not simply about sending in webform complaints. Sometimes the agent may simply issue a credit on the spot.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Thanks. The request was submitted with a letter from the doctor. No travel insurance in place. I had the amount wrong fwiw, it was $150 x 2. We've tried calling the general res number and they directed us to the website to request the refund and it was also submitted to [email protected]. Maybe I'll try to give the Chairman's line a call on their behalf to see if they can be of more assistance than the website and general refund email address.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As US Airways is still operating as a distinct entity, this question is being moved over to the pre-merger US Airways forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I still think that you are handling this wrong. While you think of it sas a refund, it is not a refund but a waiver of a fee that you are seeking. Those are discretionary. As soon as an agent hears "refund" the agent sends you to refunds.

The reason for the discretion here is that this really is stuff intended for insurance. Since you chose not to insure, it's simply goodwill to waive the fee.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
The reason for the discretion here is that this really is stuff intended for insurance. Since you chose not to insure, it's simply goodwill to waive the fee.
Yep. The OP isnt entitled to anything here. There's no special rule for being in the hospital and getting your change fee waived.

You can hope that US is feeling nice and waives it, but you're certainly not entitled to it at all. As Often1 states correctly, this is what travel insurance is for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.