One way award using US Dividend Miles - possible?

Old Apr 14, 14, 9:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

One way award using US Dividend Miles - possible?

Hello,
I'm trying to book a one way award using only US Air miles. Is this even possible? I know that it was not prior to the merger but now I'm not so sure. Is there a way to book a one-way? All I have is US Air miles, no American miles. If so, which website would I use to do it? Thank you for any info.
Old Apr 14, 14, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
No, not possible yet.
Old Apr 14, 14, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA 1.3 MM/LT Gold, WN A-List, DL Silver
Thread title has been edited to be more descriptive, as required by FT's TOS. As well, since American Airlines and US Airways continue to operate as separate carriers (and will for some time), this thread is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger US Airways forum.

/moderator
Old Apr 14, 14, 2:33 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I believe that US will let you book a one-way award ticket, but they will charge the same (in miles) as they do for a RT.
Old Apr 14, 14, 3:20 pm

Programs: US Gold
You would only need to pay the taxes on the one-way so a saving there.
Old Jun 13, 14, 10:34 am

Not even since they are a part of oneworld now? I assumed with the merger that would change
Old Jun 13, 14, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
US is not changing their plan until the frequent flyer plans merge, which won't be until 2015.
Old Jun 13, 14, 4:34 pm

Programs: None
To answer my curiosity, can you use DM miles to book a O/W AA award? Since nearly all flights are codeshared with AA, could you book the AA flight number operated by US as a O/W? Meaning in both cases not paying the miles for a R/T.

Jim
Old Jun 13, 14, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy View Post
To answer my curiosity, can you use DM miles to book a O/W AA award? Since nearly all flights are codeshared with AA, could you book the AA flight number operated by US as a O/W? Meaning in both cases not paying the miles for a R/T.

Jim
Not possible under any circumstances right now to pay only the miles for a O/W
Old Jun 13, 14, 5:25 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy View Post
No, unfortunately not. All award tickets must be booked on the operating carrier, AA in your case... And no one way tickets allowed on AA or OW carriers...
Old Jun 13, 14, 7:10 pm

Thanks. I knew that US didn't have one way awards but didn't know that AA or OW didn't either.

Jim
Old Jun 13, 14, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Thanks. I knew that US didn't have one way awards but didn't know that AA or OW didn't either.

Jim
The AAdvantage program does offer one-way awards (for half the roundtrip award cost) on AA and on all of the AAdvantage program's partner carriers, including US.

But the Dividend Miles program does not offer one-ways (for half the roundtrip award cost) on US or on any of the DM program's partner carriers, including AA.

It's the miles you want to redeem that determines whether you can get a one-way award, not the airline you want to fly.
Old Jun 13, 14, 11:02 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

Jim
Old Jun 14, 14, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney View Post
Hello,
I'm trying to book a one way award using only US Air miles. Is this even possible? I know that it was not prior to the merger but now I'm not so sure. Is there a way to book a one-way? All I have is US Air miles, no American miles. If so, which website would I use to do it? Thank you for any info.
US often sells miles for 100% bonus, you may consider that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: