Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Upgrades -- everyone pays (eff. 23 April 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
Yup...starts next week.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-23-april.html
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Yes, old news but still a kick in the junk. Maybe you will get more upgrades through the queue.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by steves
I fly to Las from the East Coast regularly - and a Chairman. I cannot believe the downgrade I just read about - it will cost me $150 plus miles to upgrade the long leg of my flight - each way - and another $25 for the short leg as there are no direct flights. That adds $350 for a domestic RT upgrade plus the miles - for the highest level of the dividend miles program. I have been a supporter and loyal - but now with the lack of a Las Vegas club ( closed their own a few years ago - and the United club access is now gone) - it just seems like it is getting harder to share the love.
I've never once missed a PHL-LAS u/g as a CP, either direction. I think actually, that this might end up being good news for you. I suspect that, especially on this route, there were a lot of mileage upgraders that will think twice now about dropping $$$ + miles rather than just miles.

BTW, the Centurion lounge at LAS is excellent. It's like being at an international lounge.

Last edited by AlphaTango; Apr 17, 2014 at 1:35 pm
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
My crystal ball is a bit muddled, but I believe well see more changes before the FFP merger is in place. AAdvantage and Dividend Miles members have both taken some hits. And some changes that I opine may have implications for all of us include newer additions, such as upgrades on auction at AA. (Yes, it's supposed to be used after statusholders' upgrade requests have been fulfilled, but it doesn't take much imagination to see a specific fare requirement, etc.)

Ouch. My radar shows a stormy horizon.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
My crystal ball is a bit muddled, but I believe well see more changes before the FFP merger is in place. AAdvantage and Dividend Miles members have both taken some hits. And some changes that I opine may have implications for all of us include newer additions, such as upgrades on auction at AA. (Yes, it's supposed to be used after statusholders' upgrade requests have been fulfilled, but it doesn't take much imagination to see a specific fare requirement, etc.)

Ouch. My radar shows a stormy horizon.
+1
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: US DM Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Small data point and perhaps unrelated to this news, but....

Flying from CLT to LAX on 4/22; usually about 50/50 for my chances of an upgrade. No dice this time, as all FC seats were taken at T4.

Flying back from LAS to CLT on 04/23; usually about 20% for UG chances. I was upgraded at T3 and there are still 5 open seats in FC.

Makes me wonder if some of those seats were open due to the new fee to use miles for UGs.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Write in all you want, it won't help.
You are right, I'm afraid.

I'm not typically a write-in kinda guy, but I did on this one and the no-notice change to the award chart -- AGAIN.

But I have absolutely no illusions. These guys simply do not care what customers think -- unless it's in enough numbers to have an impact on their spreadsheets. That's how this business is run.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by clemsonfn
Makes me wonder if some of those seats were open due to the new fee to use miles for UGs.
The charging of the fee for preferreds is effective 4/23, not for flights from 4/23.
I just upgraded some flights 4/30 and wasn't charged a fee.

I think your upgrade has more more to do with your flying on a business light day in a holiday week.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: US DM Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
The charging of the fee for preferreds is effective 4/23, not for flights from 4/23.
I just upgraded some flights 4/30 and wasn't charged a fee.

I think your upgrade has more more to do with your flying on a business light day in a holiday week.
Gotcha.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
You are right, I'm afraid.

I'm not typically a write-in kinda guy, but I did on this one and the no-notice change to the award chart -- AGAIN.

But I have absolutely no illusions. These guys simply do not care what customers think -- unless it's in enough numbers to have an impact on their spreadsheets. That's how this business is run.
I did speak with a supervisor at the Chairman's desk and she said that she would document and pass on my concern. She said they want to hear. Of course, she could just be saying that to get me off the phone, but I figure if nothing is said, nothing will change. At least if people call in/write in, there is a slight chance they might look at this again, at least for Plat and CP or something like that.

I have been trying to get part of a London trip for the fall upgraded before 4/23. While the cabins are wide open, they won't release any seats. There is a good chance it won't be an issue with my status at the time the trip comes up, but I would rather use miles and have it for sure. You would think they might want to have the miles too, vs a free upgrade, but inventory control wouldn't budge on it.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Kick in the teeth

I stipulate from the beginning:
  1. US owes me nothing.
  2. US is a business.
  3. The Terms & Conditions allow US to do pretty much whatever they want, whenever they want.

This said, they just added insult to injury, at least from where I am sitting ... or, to be precise, from where I wanted to be sitting.

Looking at a flight to LAS in June. Appears 6 seats in F left for sale. Need two, and with only six available six weeks out ... and since tomorrow an upgrade for two will be $200 plus 20,000 miles, thought I would upgrade now and save the $200. Of course, no upgrades available at the present time.

Not sure if I am masochistic enough to call in in a couple of days to see if seats have been released post-23 April.

Sigh. A brave new world. I guess it is possible, as others have postulated here, that fewer mileage upgrades will increase chances of automatic miles-free upgrade later ... But somehow I don't think that this is what US is gunning for. Will happily eat words later ... if they let me.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Last few hours to upgrade without a fee.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've looked at some upcoming flights, mainly up and down the east coast, as well as a few I have in the upcoming months to ORD. Absolutely nothing available for upgrade on ANY of them, despite the F cabin showing empty (F9+) on each flight I currently have booked. What a joke. It would take a lot to convince me they haven't turned off the upgrade with miles tap with anticipation that slews of people would try to take advantage before the copay is implemented. Will be interesting to see if this changes after tomorrow....
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:07 am

I thought not having a co-pay was a bit of a boondoggle and not surprised when it changed. The problem to me is that you pay for each segment. That's kind of ridiculous.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by lkar
I thought not having a co-pay was a bit of a boondoggle and not surprised when it changed. The problem to me is that you pay for each segment. That's kind of ridiculous.
That isn't new -- it changed a few years back.

The per-segment fee is way too high, in my opinion, but I'm not opposed to the method. It has saved me quite a bit -- e.g., upgrade the difficult BOS-PHX with miles for 10k, and take the "chance" on an auto upgrade on PHX-ONT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.