Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barclay US Airways Card Becoming AAdvantage Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nall
The 5k discount was not listed among the benefits being discontinued.
But OTOH, doesn't it only apply to US metal flights? Which implies, unless it's redefined, that it "naturally" goes away as US flight numbers get replaced with AA flight numbers!
Old May 31, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But OTOH, doesn't it only apply to US metal flights? Which implies, unless it's redefined, that it "naturally" goes away as US flight numbers get replaced with AA flight numbers!
I think -- alas -- that you are right about this. I still hope we are both wrong, but given all of the other stuff that is disappearing at AA/Citibank's behest, I have a hard time figuring out how in the absence of anything separately branded US that this discount could be maintained.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rove312
Is there any more clarity on a requirement to book after April 23 to get a free checked bag with the card? Early in this thread, there was a link to http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html which would indicate that, but the various promos for the card make no mention of it. I booked a July trip, I think on 4/15, as a cardholder (using the companion cert). Does anyone have experience having made a booking as a cardholder and not being entitled to a free bag for other reasons?

The mailer I got says "Cardmembers must check in at a US Airways kiosk or check-in counter to qualify for this benefit." Should I take it to mean check a bag there, and it doesn't preclude checking in online? I'd think OLCI at T-24 would indicate if there's a checked bag fee, but could that in fact show a fee and we could get it waived at the counter?
I booked a trip in January via Corporate Travel Agent (not using my Card) and my bags were free when I traveled in April (4/28-5/2).
Old May 31, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Citi has a 10% discount for Aadvantage awards redeemed if you hold their Preferred World MasterCard. There are also regular reduced mileage awards (although these can't be booked online so you have to pay the $25 booking fee). It's likely the 5k discount will go away, but there will probably still be opportunities to save in the newly combined program. Besides which, how often can you actually find a roundtrip award exclusively on US metal that qualifies for the discount? I have 70k miles sitting in a US account that are almost impossible to use because I usually don't book roundtrips.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:19 am

Does anyone have any data points on applying for this card after canceling it, and still getting the 40k bonus?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tdankmyer
Does anyone have any data points on applying for this card after canceling it, and still getting the 40k bonus?
There are plenty of such data points all over the main threads on these offers (over in the Credit Cards forum):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...niversary.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ot-waived.html

Terse summary: It's very YMMV, and almost completely depends on the elusive-for-some "instant approval".
Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
Passing this on for what it is worth. I called to advise Barclays that I would be using my cards in Europe and brought up the subject of the reduction in beneifts (prefacing my discussion with the statement that I know this reduction is through no fault of Barclays). The representative indicated that Barclays is considering other benefits but did not know what they might be at this time. I am not sure whether this was puffery iintended to get my off of the phone or something might really be in the works.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by pkr529
Passing this on for what it is worth. I called to advise Barclays that I would be using my cards in Europe and brought up the subject of the reduction in beneifts (prefacing my discussion with the statement that I know this reduction is through no fault of Barclays). The representative indicated that Barclays is considering other benefits but did not know what they might be at this time. I am not sure whether this was puffery iintended to get my off of the phone or something might really be in the works.
IMHO, I think it's just "puffery" as you suggested. Technically, all companies are always thinking of "benefits" to add to any product/service. Whether the "benefit" is for the customer or the company is always up for discussion.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pkr529
The representative indicated that Barclays is considering other benefits but did not know what they might be at this time. I am not sure whether this was puffery iintended to get my off of the phone or something might really be in the works.
Even if it's really in the works, credit card companies also use the term "benefits" to mean things like extended warranties, purchase price protection, rental car collision coverage, etc, etc. So chances are that it's just these kinds of extra benefits, rather than ones specific to the US/AA airline or US/AA airline program, that they'd be considering. (I wouldn't be suprised if their contract with AA requires them to match / not exceed the AA benefits of the corresponding Citi cards, but allows them to add whatever non-AA-related benefits they feel like.)
Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: US, HH
No foreign transaction fees will be nice, and EMV, with pin. I have the Citi card also and once they kill off the 10k PQM and other unique benes, there's nothing left that I don't already get with the Citi card. It's just a matter of whether the Citi card benes will be applicable to US flights come next year.

So I'd be happy for them to offer me other benes that are useful, or a transfer to another card with nice benes, otherwise might not keep it. Of course benes useful to me might not be useful to others.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:28 pm

Retention offer for Barclay USAIRWAYS card

Called to cancel card before my fee was scheduled to post at end of month. My 10000 mile anniversary bonus had already posted to my dividend miles account.

Asked about whether they had an offer of miles or a fee waiver incentive to keep the card. Was transferred to a different department and after telling them I fly USAIRWAYS and the new card benefits like free checked bag are redundant for me given my American Airlines card, was put on a brief hold. When agent came back on line I was offered waiver of the $89 annual fee this year as well as 5000 miles if I spend $1000 on the card in the next 3 months. Will now be keeping the card for another year.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by GrjApp
No foreign transaction fees will be nice, and EMV, with pin. I have the Citi card also and once they kill off the 10k PQM and other unique benes, there's nothing left that I don't already get with the Citi card. It's just a matter of whether the Citi card benes will be applicable to US flights come next year.

So I'd be happy for them to offer me other benes that are useful, or a transfer to another card with nice benes, otherwise might not keep it. Of course benes useful to me might not be useful to others.
Free FICO score, 10k annual mile bonus, and maybe the 5k discount and Barclay rewards boost?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
This may be a random coincidence but my anniversary package came in last week and I did not receive the flyer that indicates that certain benefits will be going away starting in 2015 (10K PQM, companion pass, club pass etc). I have seen ppl post pictures of this flyer so I know it exists, but for some reason I never got one? I'm assuming I'm still going to lose these benefits but can anyone explain why I didn't receive any correspondence about it?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
How long after account closure is required to reapply for the card, with sign-up bonus?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
I've already hit the $25k in spend on this card... wondering if I should get the citi-card also and accumulate miles there as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.