Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingmusicianlax
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Starting June 11th, AA elites will be able to upgrade on US flights, within 24 hours of departure.

AA E-mail:

Originally Posted by AA
We promised to keep you updated during our integration journey and want to take this opportunity to bring you the latest news. We're combining our airlines and doing this with you in mind. In January, we brought you the first merger benefits – the ability to earn and redeem miles with US Airways, along with select reciprocal elite status benefits. Here's more on what's ahead.

Upgrade on US Airways

Until we integrate our programs, we will introduce the ability for AAdvantage elite status members to upgrade to First Class on US Airways within 24 hours of departure, beginning June 11, 2014. If available, an opportunity to upgrade will be presented at check-in for US Airways-operated flights within and between the U.S. (excluding Hawaii) and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America and will be provided on a first come, first served basis. If a seat is not available, you can also choose to add yourself to the upgrade standby list.

These upgrades are complimentary for elite status members and one companion traveling in the same reservation – just as they are on US Airways today for Dividend Miles elite members.
And US elites will be able to upgrade on American flights (US Chairman Preferred members for free).

US email:

Originally Posted by US
Until we integrate our programs, we will introduce the ability for Dividend Miles Preferred members to upgrade on American within 24 hours of departure, beginning June 11, 2014. If available, an upgrade will be presented to you at check-in for American-operated flights within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America and will be provided on a first come, first served basis. We recommend you book in a single passenger reservation or upgrades may not be available.

[In version of email to US Chairman:]
Chairman's Preferred members will receive these upgrades complimentary – just as they are on American today for Executive Platinum members.

[In version of email to US Platinum/Gold/Silver:]
Dividend Miles Gold, Platinum and Silver Preferred members will be able to upgrade at the cost of $30 per 500 miles of travel – just as AAdvantage Gold and Platinum members can today
Reported rules for passengers on mixed-metal connections, and for multiple-passenger PNR's are detailed here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23003452-post168.html

Note that if you are a US elite flying an AA operated flight, you can not get on the upgrade wait list. The only (published) way to upgrade on an AA flight is if you request the upgrade and the applicable inventory (books into A) is available at that time. There have been inconsistent reports on which agents are available to do this. Though, in theory, it should be possible any time after check-in. You can monitor A inventory using services such as ExpertFlyer or KVS. More info regarding inventory controls HERE. Note that, based on this post, A inventory for US elites may be more restricted than regular A inventory.

There may be a workaround to this dilemma for US elites flying AA metal; those of you from the US side may find this post from FT user Scholity helpful: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23018850-post228.html
Print Wikipost

AA 500 mile upgrades on US?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Djokison
They do, but not from PHL. CLT (5 daily) and PHX (3 daily) are both mainline.
Sounds like a pretty small station to me. Even with the new MIA flight coming online next March not many flights even compared to PIT, RDU, or STL
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Has anyone had any luck upgrading a companion traveling under a different reservation number on US metal? I'm lifetime PLT on AA if that makes any difference. I tried adding a companion to an existing reservation, and was told by a US agent it wasn't possible, but that we could still potentially get upgraded together at the airport. I'm skeptical, because the rules state the companion must travel under the same reservation. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Sounds like a pretty small station to me. Even with the new MIA flight coming online next March not many flights even compared to PIT, RDU, or STL
MCI gets mainline to CLT and PHX, and express on E175s to PHL and DCA. All of which is worlds nicer than MD80s to DFW or RJs to anywhere else in the AA network. This was, in fact, a large part of why I picked US when I moved out to the area years ago; the hubs were convenient and had service on comfortable planes.

I guess that's out the window now, though.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by Darien-l
Has anyone had any luck upgrading a companion traveling under a different reservation number on US metal? I'm lifetime PLT on AA if that makes any difference. I tried adding a companion to an existing reservation, and was told by a US agent it wasn't possible, but that we could still potentially get upgraded together at the airport. I'm skeptical, because the rules state the companion must travel under the same reservation. Any suggestions?
Not only have I benn successful with this, US Airways has called me when the opposite happened as well. Had reward tickets for the whole family (me + wife + 2 kids) and they called to apologize that I could only upgrade myself plus one more person so they asked if they could split the reservations so that 2 of us would be upgraded.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
MCI gets mainline to CLT and PHX, and express on E175s to PHL and DCA. All of which is worlds nicer than MD80s to DFW or RJs to anywhere else in the AA network. This was, in fact, a large part of why I picked US when I moved out to the area years ago; the hubs were convenient and had service on comfortable planes.

I guess that's out the window now, though.
I'll take AA's extremely comfortable MD80s with good pitch in coach and classic, old school F recliners over US' trashed A320 fleet anyday.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I'll take AA's extremely comfortable MD80s with good pitch in coach and classic, old school F recliners over US' trashed A320 fleet anyday.
I'll take an extremely comfortable US A321 in coach or F over AA trashed MD80 fleet any day.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Speedracer2
I'll take an extremely comfortable US A321 in coach or F over AA trashed MD80 fleet any day.
Some seats on the A321 have good pitch, but the seats are anything but comfy - especially in Y. Plus, the MD80s have some of the widest coach seats in the sky.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Speedracer2
I've found the legroom in F on the US mainline planes to be much less than the MD80s or 738s. Definitely not as comfortable for long flights and the underseat storage is greatly reduced.

When my legs touch the back of the seat in F on a US 'Bus, it's tight.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Cross-partner elite here -- EXP on AA and Gold (mid-tier) on US.

MCI is an interesting station. It was at one time a US focus city. AA had a club there for decades, ending quite recently.

I travel there a dozen times per year, and my favored method is via DFW on AA. The AA MD-80 is comfy in F, especially on the starboard side. US via CLT is on an older Airbus, very tight in F. The other options are regional jets.

PHX-MCI does offer a meal now, but the rest of the connections are no meal (not sure about PHL on US Express regional jet.)
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Agreed. When the alternative in the future is slimlines in Y and reduced pitch, slide forward F seats - I'll take "classic" planes any day ^
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I've found the legroom in F on the US mainline planes to be much less than the MD80s or 738s. Definitely not as comfortable for long flights and the underseat storage is greatly reduced.

When my legs touch the back of the seat in F on a US 'Bus, it's tight.
There is a difference, but not MUCH LESS. It's the difference between 38 inch pitch on US vs 39-40 on AA in the 737 and MD-80. I find the MD-80 much more cramped because the seats are narrower.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: AA Plat; MR LT Titanium; HH Diamond
Mixed metal

I have a situation that I haven't seen elsewhere in this thread. I have a "mixed metal" itinerary, HSV-ORD on AA, then ORD-PHL on US. IF I want to request an upgrade on the second leg, how do I go about doing that? Do I check in on AA, then go over to US to request the upgrade? I'm assuming that since the reservation was made through AA, and the first leg is on AA, I need to check in with AA, not US. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by gpmHSV
I have a situation that I haven't seen elsewhere in this thread. I have a "mixed metal" itinerary, HSV-ORD on AA, then ORD-PHL on US. IF I want to request an upgrade on the second leg, how do I go about doing that? Do I check in on AA, then go over to US to request the upgrade? I'm assuming that since the reservation was made through AA, and the first leg is on AA, I need to check in with AA, not US. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
You have to do it at the airport only.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by grahampros
There is a difference, but not MUCH LESS. It's the difference between 38 inch pitch on US vs 39-40 on AA in the 737 and MD-80. I find the MD-80 much more cramped because the seats are narrower.
There are some US aircraft flying around with 37" pitch in F!

Even 1-3in in legroom is quite noticeable IMO. In Y this would be like 32" vs 30" which is a sizable difference. In F this is even more noticable when the individual in front of you reclines and ends up in your lap (special nod to the DL 739).
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
This is an oddly named thread. 500 milers are not needed to upgrade on US. Just need to be an AA or US elite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.