FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   US Airways Award Bookings Using BA Avios, as low as 4,500 Avios one way (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1564890-us-airways-award-bookings-using-ba-avios-low-4-500-avios-one-way.html)

Happy Apr 14, 2014 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 22648109)
Forgot about that. You are correct. Is there some benefit with having your AA# on a AB/CX resv (apart from bags)?

OW Ruby can use biz line to check in, even all AB intra Europe flights are coach, they still maintain a biz counter at its main airports such as TXL and VIE. (HG hub).

Same as CX intra-Asia. We normally fly coach with Avio bookings. The benefit to avoid the long line at coach check in is worth the trouble to put in the AA number. It also allows us to pick coach seat before it is open to anyone to choose online.

GUWonder Apr 15, 2014 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 22704201)
OW Ruby can use biz line to check in, even all AB intra Europe flights are coach, they still maintain a biz counter at its main airports such as TXL and VIE. (HG hub).

Same as CX intra-Asia. We normally fly coach with Avio bookings. The benefit to avoid the long line at coach check in is worth the trouble to put in the AA number. It also allows us to pick coach seat before it is open to anyone to choose online.

AB has premium counter check-in at most of the airports which are hub cities for any one of the Big 3 alliance airlines too. At least most of AB's Scandinavian airport destinations have them. If my FFP number isn't in the booking or I don't want one in the booking, they are fine with me using the premium check-in line with just with a flash of my cards with elite status from a OW airline.

jmgriffin Apr 28, 2014 10:49 am

I thought some might be interested in the map I created in an effort to take advantage of the non-stop flights out of CLT. I'm only about 3-hours away so it's an easy drive given the amount of miles/points that can be saved if booking with Avios instead of US/AA miles. It doesn't look like I can embed a Google map on the forum so I'll point you to the link: US Airways Flights: Using British Airways Avios out of Charlotte-CLT. I hope some find it useful!

---------------------------------

First in this series is Charlotte, North Carolina-CLT. From my research, appx 30 million people live within a 5-hour drive of the city, making it relatively easy for them to drive and take take advantage of the savings of non-stop flights. I have compiled this map to help assist in visualizing and then planning just how far a British Airways Avios will take you on US Airways:

http://weekendblitz.com/wp-content/u...AM-600x365.png

http://weekendblitz.com/wp-content/u...1.01.46-AM.png
Legend

Some great values are Charlotte-CLT to:
  • Toronto-YYZ for 9k Avios roundtrip in economy.
  • Freeport, Bahamas-FPO for 9k Avios roundtrip in economy.
  • Any of the Zone 1 destinations are typically a great value.
  • These destinations in the Caribbean for 15k Avios roundtrip in economy: Key West-EYW, Nassau-NAS, Bermuda-BDA, Turks and Caicos-PLS, Cancun-CUN, Cozumel-CZM.
  • Other destinations in the Caribbean for 20k Avios roundtrip in economy: Belize-BZE, Montego Bay-MBJ, Punta Cana-PUJ, San Juan-SJU, St. Thomas-STT, Saint Croix-STX, Saint Maarten-SXM, St. Kitts-SKB, Antigua-ANU, St. Lucia-UVF, Aruba-AUA.
  • A few cities in Europe fall under the 4,000 mile mark, making them only 40k Avios roundtrip in economy: Lisbon-LIS, Dublin-DUB, Manchester-MAN, London-LHR.

-----------------------------------

As a side note: I pulled all of the route info for the map off of USAirways.com, I know that some routes are seasonal and some might even be slated for cancellation. If you see any destinations that I should remove, please let me know. Thanks!

linglingfool Apr 28, 2014 11:28 am

As an FYI, I was able to add an AA FF# to an Avios booking. I first went to the RJ site and changed it on the BA PNR, but did not notice the reservation immediately update. I then went to the BA site, selected a seat change, and noticed that exit rows and preferred seating were available to me. Once I selected a seat and refreshed the reservation on the US site, my AA # appeared.

Not sure if it was a function of waiting for the US PNR to update once I changed the BA PNR on the RJ site, or if I needed to have the PNR "refreshed" via the seat selection method, but wanted to share in case it was useful to someone.

(The US CSR told me there was no way to change the number on the PNR when I called, so I thought the information might be relevant.)

UA Fan Jun 3, 2014 2:12 pm

When booking AA metal flights with Avios, one gets Priority Access and hence a free bag. Does anyone know if this applies with US metal as well?

jmgriffin Jun 3, 2014 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 22972660)
When booking AA metal flights with Avios, one gets Priority Access and hence a free bag. Does anyone know if this applies with US metal as well?

I booked and flew a non-stop domestic US flight on US Airways last month that was booked with Avios and DID NOT get priority access or a free checked bag.

beofotch Jun 4, 2014 4:52 am

The key is calling and having add your US Preferred number in the reservation. I have flown many Avios awards in short haul US metal and been given prior boarding, waived bag fees, etc. And even a couple times forced through upgrades.

beofotch Jun 4, 2014 5:26 am

Also a note in praise of this "feature" now that Charlotte is a one-world hub. I have booked for myself or family and friends already the following 4,500 Avios awards, arguably savings thousands of dollars:

CLT - ORD
CLT - JFK
CLT - LGA
CLT - TLH
CLT - TPA
CLT - MCO
CLT - MEM
CLT - BNA
CLT - LIT

mrahul Jun 4, 2014 1:20 pm

why is it that CLT-MCI flights are not bookable through Avios...any idea..

sjpmurph01 Jun 4, 2014 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by jmgriffin (Post 22774284)
First in this series is Charlotte, North Carolina-CLT.

First of all, thank you, this is awesome.

Now of course my next question... Are you planning on doing one of these for PHL?

MadTownFlyer Jun 4, 2014 4:06 pm

Glitch?

I am on the British Airways website attempting to book the following:

8/22 PBI to ORD
8/25 ORD to PBI

The following comes up for Economy:
Outgoing - PBI to CLT to ORD on US Air
Returning - ORD to PBI on American

This prices out at 35,000 AVIOS + $7

Am I doing something wrong here? My calculation for the round trip is only 16,500 Avios plus fees (4,500 for PBI to CLT; 4,500 from CLT to ORD; 7,500 from ORD to PBI).

Thoughts?

linglingfool Jun 4, 2014 4:36 pm

Have you tried pricing each one-way to find the culprit? My suspicion is that one of the legs is pricing in first. I have an upcoming ORD-PBI booked with Avios and it charged me the correct 7500 + $2.50 for coach.

linglingfool Jun 4, 2014 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by mrahul (Post 22978345)
why is it that CLT-MCI flights are not bookable through Avios...any idea..

That is indeed odd, I'm seeing the same thing. Have you tried calling the BAEC service center to see if they can pull it up?

Happy Jun 4, 2014 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 22972660)

You dont get priority access or free checked book by booking AA metal with Avios - you get that because you have AA status and put your AA number in your Avios booking.

Same principle applies to US metal.

UA Fan Jun 5, 2014 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 22980202)
You dont get priority access or free checked book by booking AA metal with Avios - you get that because you have AA status and put your AA number in your Avios booking.

Same principle applies to US metal.

I have experienced this on flights with my wife and two other relatives when I was not on the reservation (none of them have status).