FF benefits on BA

Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
FF benefits on BA

Have a trip to India on AA-BA this weekend. Outbound is before US exits *A, and return is after the move to oneworld. (I'm US CP).

On the AA legs, I was able to get Main Cabin Extra seats. Would I would be able to get similar seating on BA?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As this question pertains to the oneworld benefits that will be enjoyed by US Airways elites when flying BA, I'm going to move this thread to the US Airways forum for further discussion. Personally, I fear we may not know the answer until closer to the date, but the US forum is the place to go to find out what your US status will get you (in any circumstance, not just this one).

~Moderator
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium
BA does not give upgrades to World Traveler Plus, you have to purchase the upgrade (and only then if you have an up-gradable ticket to start with), so you will be stuck in the back on the BA flights.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
Originally Posted by andyfarrimond
BA does not give upgrades to World Traveler Plus, you have to purchase the upgrade (and only then if you have an up-gradable ticket to start with), so you will be stuck in the back on the BA flights.
I think he was just asking if he would get a nicer seat in the back.

And to answer, I don't think BA has MCE or anything similar. The better question would be if AA EXPs get special treatment on BA. Seeing as you're a US CP, and from other threads, it seems that CP's show up at EXPs in AA's systems so if they get something special, you should theoretically as well
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Once US Airways joins Oneworld, your CP status will be recognized as Oneworld Emerald. So on your return leg you can pre-select an exit row seat when flying on BA.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andyfarrimond
BA does not give upgrades to World Traveler Plus,
Good to know. Thanks.

Originally Posted by akelkar
And to answer, I don't think BA has MCE or anything similar. The better question would be if AA EXPs get special treatment on BA. Seeing as you're a US CP, and from other threads, it seems that CP's show up at EXPs in AA's systems so if they get something special, you should theoretically as well
BA does have a premium economy cabin called World Traveler+.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by WASBLR
Good to know. Thanks.

BA does have a premium economy cabin called World Traveler+.
Correct, but World Traveler + is a completely different cabin, not the equivalent of MCE. BA flyers actually have to use Avios or pay fare difference to have access to WT+. As a OW Emerald, you will have access to preselected a seat in WT before most people do at no additional cost. I believe you will still have to pay for exit row seats.
With BA they will usually sell upgrades at the airport if space is still available. I have paid Ł400 to go from WT+ to CW. At the airport you may ask and see how much they charge you to move from WT to WT+.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

FAA1996, thanks for the info. I haven't flown BA in some 14 years, having been loyal to *A during that time.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
My experience is totally different. BA does give upgrades to World Traveller + under certain conditions. 3 years in a row my wife and I got upgraded in one direction on Transatlantic flights ( sometimes it was JFK to LHR, sometimes LHR to JFK; it always happened at the gate just before boarding). So, my wife wondered what would happen if we booked directly the World Traveller + class: happy result, in one direction we got upgraded to Business Class. And again it happened at boarding. We are still wondering why we were selected for these upgrades but feel very special.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
My experience is totally different. BA does give upgrades to World Traveller + under certain conditions. 3 years in a row my wife and I got upgraded in one direction on Transatlantic flights ( sometimes it was JFK to LHR, sometimes LHR to JFK; it always happened at the gate just before boarding). So, my wife wondered what would happen if we booked directly the World Traveller + class: happy result, in one direction we got upgraded to Business Class. And again it happened at boarding. We are still wondering why we were selected for these upgrades but feel very special.
As a percentage of total seats, BA's economy/main cabins are substantially smaller than most US-based airlines. As a result, it's more common for BA to oversell economy and "cabin roll" to accommodate the extra coach seats they've sold. As a result, they'll roll some people from Club World (business) into First, some people from World Traveller Plus (premium economy) into Club World, and some people from World Traveller (economy/main cabin) into World Traveller Plus. That said, as you say these happen on the day and not in advance, whereas Main Cabin Extra/Economy Plus type seats can be booked in advance by elites, and don't offer a materially different experience than other economy/main cabin seats. World Traveller Plus has upgraded seats (not just a bit more legroom), upgraded catering, and FAs assigned to work just WT+.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:30 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:23 pm
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
Originally Posted by angatol
Exit rows are free to choose in advance for OWE
Good to know!
Old May 18, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
Originally Posted by angatol
Exit rows are free to choose in advance for OWE
I am looking to book a ticket on BA in WT. It only offers the ability to select seats with $$. Is the ability, as a OW Emerald, available AFTER the booking is complete or should this be available as I do the reservation?

Thanks,
Old May 18, 2014, 10:11 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:03 am
Old May 18, 2014, 4:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PHL_roadwarrior
I am looking to book a ticket on BA in WT. It only offers the ability to select seats with $$. Is the ability, as a OW Emerald, available AFTER the booking is complete or should this be available as I do the reservation?
I suspect your status isn't being picked up, but as an oneworld Emerald, yes you do get free reservation, and indeed access to exit row seats which may otherwise be showing as blocked. So while seat selection should happen during booking, if it doesn't then you can telephone BA and get it sorted out after the event. BAEC status isn't being picked up on US Airways either (in terms of Preferred seating) so this maybe work in progress still. BAEC and AA seating privileges tend to work in both directions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.