Wiki Posts
Search

Unreasonable weather waiver policy?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Unreasonable weather waiver policy?

I cancelled a trip out of DCA earlier this week out of concern I wouldn't be able to travel back. The date was covered by a weather waiver, but US says I only have until March 20 to travel without a change fee.

Seems harsh, and not in line with other airlines (UA) which allow the funds to be applied to a new itinerary within one year (subject to fare difference, of course).

Is US just overly restrictive? Not sure I like the new AA.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
maybe harsh, but not a new policy.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apeortdz
maybe harsh, but not a new policy.
Not a new policy for US I guess. And the race to the bottom continues...
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:21 am

If your flight was cancelled you are entitled to a full refund.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Was your flight cancelled (or substantially delayed) or did you choose not to travel? If the former, you are entitled to a full refund to your original form of payment, regardless of fare rules. If the latter, it's simply a customer service gesture, so whatever US wants to give you.

Best never to rely on waivers and to look to your travel insurance because that gets you what amounts to a refund if it's a decent policy.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks, good advice. Unfortunately, the original flight took off on time so I'm out of luck. I was doing a quick turn and didn't want to risk getting stuck away from home.

Not a big deal since it was a junk fare anyway. I just never have seen such a restrictive weather waiver.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by miguel0881
Thanks, good advice. Unfortunately, the original flight took off on time so I'm out of luck. I was doing a quick turn and didn't want to risk getting stuck away from home.

Not a big deal since it was a junk fare anyway. I just never have seen such a restrictive weather waiver.
It's been that way for as long as I can remember. But I am glad that you didn't lose too much on the fare.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: None
Hasn't there been at least one, possibly two changes to the severe weather waiver policy in the last 3-4-5 years? It used to be that any fare difference was waived - not the current "there may be a fare difference charge". And seems like you could rebook within 7 days of the original travel dates, not the current 2 days.

Like several other things - MoveUp, standby, meal & hotel vouchers being among the others - the requirements have been tightened up over the years.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.