US Airways BoA Visa changes

Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Yeah, got mine today. Looks like the old platinum preferred cards, all platinum with the US Airways swish, of course with the MC logo on the SE corner. Same credit limit. Not able to be activated until Monday the 26th.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
The Barclay's MC is a lousy product and doesn't compare to the old VISA Signature. I cancelled the Signature today and will cancel the Barclay's MC on Monday. I only kept it for Zone 2 boarding and Free Bag.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I also received my new credit card, which I will be canceling.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:24 pm

Maybe better to wait until "late February" and receive the final club day pass and companion certificate and then cancel. In the meantime applied and instantly approved for Citi/AAdvantage platinum select MasterCard. No fee first year and 50K bonus miles for $2K spending within 3 moths, free bag, group 1 boarding. Looks like a win/win considering that the USAirways and American Airlines frequent flyer programs will be combined in the second quarter of 2015.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by roybow
Maybe better to wait until "late February" and receive the final club day pass and companion certificate and then cancel. In the meantime applied and instantly approved for Citi/AAdvantage platinum select MasterCard. No fee first year and 50K bonus miles for $2K spending within 3 moths, free bag, group 1 boarding. Looks like a win/win considering that the USAirways and American Airlines frequent flyer programs will be combined in the second quarter of 2015.
I did a similar thing: Got the Citi Exec AA card today. Yeah, it's pricer at $450 but I do get AA/US Clubs, 50k AA miles (which will be merged with DM), and their suite of insurance coverage is actually pretty good. Sure, the $40k needed for 10kEQM is a lot more than BofA's $25k but still doable and valuable to me, and the rest of the perks is (while not the best) a decent package for this CP/EXP at $450.

Going to cancel that Barclaycard soon. Hoping that the one up in credit limit on the Exec card nets out against canceling the old BofA/Barclay card so no negative FICO impact.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Better and better.... My card doesn't even show up on the BA website anymore. Can only pay the final bills by phone or snail mail. Will probably have to manually enter the final few transactions into Quicken since it's not downloading anymore. At least the final Companion cert will more than make up for inconvenience!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Insiderdude
I did a similar thing: Got the Citi Exec AA card today. Yeah, it's pricer at $450 but I do get AA/US Clubs, 50k AA miles (which will be merged with DM), and their suite of insurance coverage is actually pretty good. Sure, the $40k needed for 10kEQM is a lot more than BofA's $25k but still doable and valuable to me, and the rest of the perks is (while not the best) a decent package for this CP/EXP at $450.

Going to cancel that Barclaycard soon. Hoping that the one up in credit limit on the Exec card nets out against canceling the old BofA/Barclay card so no negative FICO impact.
FWIW, you might want to see if you'd rather hold it and convert it to a Barclay Advantage Silver card later. It offers the EQM and companion passes if you meet the requisite spend.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I also received my new credit card, which I will be canceling.
CANCELLED! This card switch was handled in the typically poor US airways manner.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
I just activated my Barclays MC today. I agree it seems to be a bad product. I used and looked forward to the companion certs each year. I'll probably wait to get my last cert in a couple weeks then cancel it or put in a draw. Still haven't decided which card to get though.
One thing I don't understand- with the combining of DM and AA into AA, what will happen the 'USAirways' credit card. Will this be going away once DM goes away? I don't know why they didn't just leave me with BoA then convert me to an AA card.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
Companion Certs must be used by Mar 31, 2015

Called BoA yesterday. They said all companion certs have to be used by Mar 31 regardless of expiration date on the Cert. First time I heard this, but I don't hear everything!

She said you have to use the Barclay MC to pay for the flight, as you would have with the BoA Visa.

Can someone else confirm this data is correct?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:27 pm

Personally, I would not believe anything BofA tells you anymore. They are history and doubt they know what is happening. Pamphlet I received with my replacement card clearly states that the Club Day Pass and Companion Certificate will expire at the end of 2015.
I
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Logged onto my pre-existing Barclays US Airways MC webpage and lo and behold! The new converted MC was there as a second card and was a quick activation using last four of SS and CVV number. It looks like the balance from the BoA Visa transferred over along with the transactions since the last statement... and I make my payments to Barclays. No more dealing with BoA in regards to the old or new card.

The brochure that came with the new card did state that the Companion Certificate and the club day pass will expire at the end of 2015... but it also stated "Please note the purchase and travel-by dates on your certificate." It also stated that the pass and certificate will arrive in late February.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by phlwookie
I think a Barclay MasterCard is still going to show up though - the letter I got says that all accounts in good standing as of Nov 20th would. I just plan to let the BOA card expire on 1/26 and destroy the Barclay card when it shows up.
So, a card did show. Just called to cancel and looks like the BofA cancellation extended over. My account was closed as of early January and a MasterCard one was never considered opened.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Has anyone received the companion certificate promised to be delivered in February? Still waiting for mine.....
Old Mar 10, 2015, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Nevermind -- just got the package in the mail today. Final Companion Certificate - purchase by 9/30/15 and complete travel by 12/31/15.

Final Club Day pass -- expires 2/15/16

Fancy, expensive looking brochure letting me know the benefits from now on will be exactly the same as the Barclays I already had...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.