Wiki Posts
Search

UA supposedly to offer status matches once US Airways leaves Star

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat
UA supposedly to offer status matches once US Airways leaves Star

I was in both the MSP and SEA United clubs yesterday and both people at the desk said that UA would be offering status matches to US elites after we leave Star. Said it couldn't be done while US was still in Star. Didn't have details but said they were supposed to get some handouts closer to the end of March to hand out or you could go to ual.com/status match

For what it's worth...FYI. I know I don't want a status match from them. I'll stick with my old US friends and our new friends at AA.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
UA couldn't pay me to take one.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I'm sticking with US (AA). They have been good to me and I hope it continues to be that way.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by funsmpls
I'll stick with my old US friends and our new friends at AA.
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I'm sticking with US (AA). They have been good to me and I hope it continues to be that way.
I agree, US has been good to me.

I just had my first full itinerary experience with UA. Had a cash J ticket down to LIM for the week, couldn't get there on US. But out of GNV I am forced to fly 3M (Silver, United codeshare), 4 canceled flights at 6am just to get to MCO or TPA from GNV all due to crew timing out. Then connecting to IAH or EWR just to get to South America. Flat beds were nice, comparable to the US 330s in terms of hard product comfort, but the hassle to get there just didn't justify the time expended.

Once the merger is complete, I'll have two routes (5-7x a day) out of GNV to either MIA or CLT. With UA, the hubs are too far away and require a 2 connection itinerary to get anywhere I want to go. Furthermore, I saw upgrade lists that were 20-30 deep. Many Platinums and 1Ks sitting in the back missing upgrades. Not an airline for me...

I will miss *A though. Especially when travelling in the EU. LH, LX, OS, SN, LO, TK could get me anywhere I wanted to go and the lounges as a *G were beyond awesome. I'm trying to plan a family trip to BUD and VCE in May and IB costs way too much, BA requires a 20 hour connection, leaving me with Air Berlin (AB?) to get anywhere. Finnair or S7 doesn't really seem like a viable option either.

There's always pros and cons, but for me I think the pros far outweigh the cons. Especially with the news that US is adding meals to shorter flights, I think things look bright for us fellow US travelers.

Just my $0.02...

Go Gators
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's a win for AA if it can shed some of it's lower-value US elites to UA. The issue isn't really elite status, but actual value.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
t's a win for AA if it can shed some of it's lower-value US elites to UA.
GIven that AA doesn't have a spend requirement like UA, I couldn't see this being a win yet for "lower value elites". They'll likely stay at US/AA until AA goes down the road of spend requirements.

If anything UA is looking to poach uncertain US Elites who could be considered high value and could easily meet the spend requirements.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Wow, don't forget US just randomly gave away status to A LOT pax who even never flies US before.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:35 am

I am likely to switch and I've already talked to UA about it though they just gave me the standard answer that "they only match for non-Star Alliance members" which presumably means US on April 1.

I'm mad about the significant changes to buy-up plus the uncertainty surrounding the merger. I've been Chairman several years in a row through modest buy-up (10-20k miles) but was slightly further this year because of a 3 month travel stop. But I'll probably hit 80-90k easily this year and every year in the near future. UA flies most of the same flights for me, though out of Dulles. UA has unlimited upgrades and better FC service. The main reason I was sticking with US was that I usually finish a little short of CP and it was nice to have a reasonable buy up option, instead of mileage runs which are a waste of my time. If I'm going to be Plat for the next 12-21 months, better to be it on UA.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fieldeng
GIven that AA doesn't have a spend requirement like UA, I couldn't see this being a win yet for "lower value elites". They'll likely stay at US/AA until AA goes down the road of spend requirements.

If anything UA is looking to poach uncertain US Elites who could be considered high value and could easily meet the spend requirements.
Meeting spend requirements for MP hardly makes you an HVC. And, although AA doesn't have a spend requirement, it most certainly does the analysis to determine who is an HVC.

Someone who can't meet what UA & DL now impose for spend, is definitely somebody another carrier doesn' want to poach unless the other carrier knows something the others don't.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
The last thing UA needs right now is more elites, and I would have thought that moving to a minimum-spend model would have made that clear to the industry and to current elites who are--to use UA's words--"over entitled." Domestic upgrades never clear anymore anyway, even for 1Ks, and I'm not sure why someone would want to move to what most agree is an inferior product that also features a less rewarding FF program (I say this as a United customer who is indeed staying with United).

I don't have much of an opinion other than to say that this is yet another example of COdbaUA's right hand not knowing or caring what the left is doing, with both hands throwing all kinds of excrement at the wall to see what sticks.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm hoping (and won't be surprised) if US gives status matches to UA elites on April 1. I just lost the last year of my AA status match (first exec plat, and then plat last year) originating from my UA 1K, and wouldn't mind regaining some oneworld status.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
It's a win for AA if it can shed some of it's lower-value US elites to UA. The issue isn't really elite status, but actual value.
@:-) it doesn't matter if UA offers match if there aren't any tangible (not stated) benefits such as CPUs clearing consistently.

Most of my 1K friends say they rarely clear anymore, though they could just not be HVCs
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:04 pm

I'm so confused

CPU's clear less now. Too many elites on the books. Got it.

UA now mandates minimum spend requirements to be part of their special elite club going forward. Check.

End result, some chunk of elites drop down to nothing UA cares about. Meaning those who truly pay (UA) to play could see better CPU in 2015. Yay!

Not so fast. New guidelines specify low-spending existing customers should not be rewarded. Instead, we will replace them with non-customers - let us say 'strangers' of other airlines, rewarded with status matches, potentially diluting the elite group again and CPU's become a challenge again.

This is the strategy for success?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DBCme
I'm so confused

CPU's clear less now. Too many elites on the books. Got it.

UA now mandates minimum spend requirements to be part of their special elite club going forward. Check.

End result, some chunk of elites drop down to nothing UA cares about. Meaning those who truly pay (UA) to play could see better CPU in 2015. Yay!

Not so fast. New guidelines specify low-spending existing customers should not be rewarded. Instead, we will replace them with non-customers - let us say 'strangers' of other airlines, rewarded with status matches, potentially diluting the elite group again and CPU's become a challenge again.

This is the strategy for success?
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense within the context of Jeffy's alleged strategy: cater to the kettle or lower elite who is willing to pay baggage fees, drinks in-flight, etc., and shift focus away from loyalty as a business model. Remember, it seems that folks with low/no status are getting the best J and F buy-up prices and other offers on UA, while everyone else is having their benefits slashed. They're hoping to get a relatively high number of low-mile regular customers willing to spend $$$ on extras, which in Jeff's mind, will help him hit revenue targets. Heck, the new United might be better for an AA Gold, 30,000-mile-per-year flyer than American is, because American still believes that higher status should equal greater benefits (while here at UA, the opposite seems to be true).

Bottom line: you're not going to get too many EXPs matching to UA as their primary airline, when UA currently offers 6 SWUs vs. AA's 8, UA GPUs never clear, and United requires a minimum of 10 CPM spend to maintain status. However, you're more likely to get AA Golds who are curious about how the other half lives and don't have much to lose.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Gosh UA sounds like a mess..

I have 280k left on US=AA so ill stick with them I have 30k or so flown this year on AA and Like *A but with UA being the main carrier I'll pass..

Not sure if im reading what people were saying right but why would airlines not want any frequent flyer even if he's a lower level one? When did airlines start only wanting High spending ones only? I thought any business would want any and all flyers..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.