CP/ OneWorld Emerald Upgrades to Europe

Old Feb 21, 14, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, USAir Chairman, Avis First
CP/ OneWorld Emerald Upgrades to Europe

Just made CP status on USAir again after hovering at Platinum for some time.

Planning to fly from CLT-PRG and return VIE-CLT in July. Trying to determine what airline I should now book to get the best chance of getting an upgrade. US Air does not allow me to book that itinerary at all on its website for some reason although I can book it on one of my credit card travel sites (either Chase Sapphire Ultimate Rewards or AMEX Membership Rewards, can't remember which at the moment- I know it was on one but not the other).

Any thoughts on the European upgrades with the merger, change to OneWorld Emerald, etc?
Old Feb 21, 14, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by familyflyers View Post

Planning to fly from CLT-PRG and return VIE-CLT in July. Trying to determine what airline I should now book to get the best chance of getting an upgrade. US Air does not allow me to book that itinerary at all on its website for some reason although I can book it on one of my credit card travel sites (either Chase Sapphire Ultimate Rewards or AMEX Membership Rewards, can't remember which at the moment- I know it was on one but not the other).

Any thoughts on the European upgrades with the merger, change to OneWorld Emerald, etc?
When are you traveling? How are you planning to upgrade?

US's site doesn't allow you to book to anywhere it doesn't have codeshares or fly to itself. PRG is very weak on *A with pretty much LH, OS, and maybe LX flying RJs or really small mainlines like Fokkers into it.

VIE is a horrid airport. It's nice, but I swear its architects have never used an airport before.

If you're wanting to use CP certs, you're restricted to US metal for the TATL. If you want that TATL to be one segment to CLT, you're looking at either Germany or LHR for your gateway. PHL TATLs will give you more choice.

LH doesn't normally sell upgrades. OS does, if available. I don't think LX does.

Miles can give you more choice for upgrades, but you'll have to buy a Y or B ticket and do a *A upgrade. I know AA does some OW upgrades with miles, but they're also from Y/B fares and only on a few carriers.

More specifics would help a lot.
Old Feb 21, 14, 3:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
On AA metal, AA allows SWUs or miles and copay on its metal; BA and IB allow miles upgrades, but only from certain fares. See here for the latter.

We'll all be happier (theoretically, since we really don't know the nitty gritty details) when the merger is accomplished and there's at least some stability (if not love for statusholders).
Old Feb 21, 14, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, USAir Chairman, Avis First
Thanks for the input so far.
We are planning our trip in July. Does anyone know if we will be able to use the CP upgrade certs on American flights? Or what the plan is for that part of the CP program?
Old Feb 21, 14, 8:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No idea. No announcements to date, so all we can do is speculate or guess.

Thanks for the input so far.
We are planning our trip in July. Does anyone know if we will be able to use the CP upgrade certs on American flights? Or what the plan is for that part of the CP program?
Old Feb 22, 14, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Who knows what will happen between now and July. If anything changes, I'd expect it to happen after US exits *A and joins oneworld. But even then, I think cross-program upgrades, especially using certs/SWUs, are unlikely...but who knows.
Old Feb 24, 14, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by aamilesslave View Post
Who knows what will happen between now and July. If anything changes, I'd expect it to happen after US exits *A and joins oneworld. But even then, I think cross-program upgrades, especially using certs/SWUs, are unlikely...but who knows.
I'm thinking mileage upgrades may be more likely at that point, mainly because you can already earn/burn miles between the two. At the very least I think it'd be like a OW miles upgrade at least on Y/B, though more fares would certainly be better.
Old Feb 24, 14, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*

I don't foresee any changes to the rules around CP certs; you'll need to burn them on US metal, not partner metal, and at this stage (and probably until the FF programs merge), AA is essentially a partner.

So are you trying to burn 2013 CP certs or 2014 certs? If you qualified based off your 2013 flying you should have certs you need to burn before the March 30 and then get new ones once the program clock resets (and US moves to OW). In either case you'll need to redeem the cert to/from a US city in Europe and then connect since US doesn't fly into PRG or VIE. The question is it going to be FRA using Lufthansa if booked while US is still in *A or MAD or LHR for Iberia or British Airways for OW.
Old Feb 25, 14, 12:19 am

Programs: AA executive platinum, United premier gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
[QUOTE=JDiver;22393091]On AA metal, AA allows SWUs or miles and copay on its metal;

My niece was travelling from Montreal to visit me and she booked her ticket on expedia Canada and it was "us airways ticket" but codeshare with all AA flights and AA metal. I called EXP line to see if I use one of my SWU's for her, but was told no as the system doesn't allow it. I thought it was the metal that counts but i guess not. I have been finding cheaper fares, as other have mentioned on usairways.com, for codeshare flights on AA rather than on AA website. Does this mean that if I booked on US airways website for flights on AA (codeshare) that I would not be eligible for upgrades as an EXP on AA?
Old Feb 25, 14, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I thought it was the metal that counts but i guess not
No, has to be AA metal and an AA flight number otherwise it's a no go.
Does this mean that if I booked on US airways website for flights on AA (codeshare) that I would not be eligible for upgrades as an EXP on AA?
Correct. No upgrades available there.
Old Feb 26, 14, 10:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Originally Posted by fieldeng View Post
No, has to be AA metal and an AA flight number otherwise it's a no go.
Actually, it's a no go in advance. But a US-coded, AA-operated flight can be upgraded with stickers or eVIP at the airport when it switches to gate control.
Old Feb 26, 14, 11:22 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
Actually, it's a no go in advance. But a US-coded, AA-operated flight can be upgraded with stickers or eVIP at the airport when it switches to gate control.
Correct, any code share on AA metal this is the case. I upgraded a LAN coded AA flight at the airport using an SWU.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: