US Travel Advisory (week of Feb 10-14)

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 12, 14, 2:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: sbbutler93
Wiki Link
2/12 Update (for space consideration: italicized underlined material applies to both)
Winter Storm Pax Northeast
2/11/2014 8:30 PM ET

Cities Affected

Hartford, CT ; New Haven, CT ; Washington, DC (Dulles Int'l Airport) ; Washington, DC (Reagan National) ; Bangor, ME ; Portland, ME ; Baltimore, MD ; Boston, MA ; Manchester, NH ; Newark, NJ ; Albany, NY ; Binghamton, NY ; Islip, NY ; New York, NY (JFK Airport) ; New York, NY (LaGuardia) ; White Plains, NY ; Allentown, PA ; Harrisburg, PA ; Philadelphia, PA ; Scranton, PA ; State College, PA ; Williamsport, PA ; Providence, RI

Date Range
2/13/2014 1:00 AM ET through 2/14/2014 11:59 PM ET

Here’s how:

• Book the same origin and destination
• If you are scheduled to travel February 13 or 14, your travel date may be changed to travel February 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 or 19.

Winter Storm Pax
2/12/2014 10:59 AM ET

Cities Affected

Birmingham, AL ; Huntsville, AL ; Atlanta, GA ; Augusta, GA ; Salisbury, MD ; Asheville, NC ; Charlotte, NC ; Fayetteville, NC ; Greensboro, NC ; Greenville, NC ; Jacksonville, NC ; New Bern, NC ; Raleigh/Durham, NC ; Wilmington, NC ; Charleston, SC ; Columbia, SC ; Florence, SC ; Greenville, SC ; Johnson City, TN ; Knoxville, TN ; Charlottesville, VA ; Lynchburg, VA ; Newport News, VA ; Norfolk, VA ; Richmond, VA ; Roanoke, VA

Date Range
2/11/2014 1:00 AM ET through 2/13/2014 11:59 PM ET

Revised Ticket Policy
We’ve relaxed our change-fee policies. If your trip is affected, you can change your trip online (in most cases) -- we’ll waive your change fees!

Here’s how:

• Book the same origin and destination
• If you are scheduled to travel February 11,12 or 13, your travel date may be changed to travel February 10,11,12,13,14,15,16 or 17.

You may have to pay to change your trip if:

• You change your origin and/or destination
• Your travel is outside the dates listed above
• There is a difference in fare

Please call if:

• Part or all of your trip is on another airline
• You don’t see a ‘Change my trip’ link when you pull up your reservation

Change your trip online at usairways.com/manageyourtrip

If you need help, please call 800-428-4322.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 10, 14, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
US Travel Advisory (week of Feb 10-14)

After looking at the various forecasts & data I'm thinking if your travels involve CLT on We. you might want to re think.
Old Feb 10, 14, 3:34 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond
I Hope They Just Scrub All Wednesday PM and Thursday AM

That would make it easier on a million or so passengers up-and-down the East Coast.
Old Feb 10, 14, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Local news is saying an epic (for Charlotte) 8"
Old Feb 10, 14, 4:01 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond
I am very familiar with the DFW "Cancel Everything" trigger... no experience with CLT.
Old Feb 10, 14, 4:16 pm

CLT Wed, snow

My trip goes in and out of Charlotte all day Wednesday
Old Feb 10, 14, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
Weather Channel calling for a Winter Storm Watch from Tue, 6pm until Thu, 6pm EST and also had an Airport Weather Warning… not looking good this week down south
Old Feb 10, 14, 4:18 pm

OP I hate you

Dang it I thought I might have a short week and get home wed night.

Lets hope the weather guys follow their original batting avg of about .300.
Old Feb 10, 14, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

All of this keeps changing & will most likely change some more but the latest weather forecast on Charlotte's WBTV is calling for 6-8 in. snow beginning around 10A We. & not ending until Th. am. I have no doubt we will be getting the snow but again I'd love to be wrong.
Old Feb 10, 14, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP: : SPG Plat; HH Gold
Saw NOAA forecast for up to 9" of snow in Charlotte on Wednesday and "paralyzing winter storm". If in fact this comes to pass the airport will shut down - simply not the resources to handle this much snow. Its forecast across the Carolinas similar.
Old Feb 10, 14, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Granitebox View Post
Saw NOAA forecast for up to 9" of snow in Charlotte on Wednesday and "paralyzing winter storm". If in fact this comes to pass the airport will shut down - simply not the resources to handle this much snow. Its forecast across the Carolinas similar.
Yep that's a +1 here.
Old Feb 10, 14, 6:58 pm

CLT Wed, snow

My first flt lands at 11 am
Hope everyone packs their patience!
Old Feb 10, 14, 7:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Anyone have any idea of how this may effect Thursday morning travel? I'm flying PHL-CLT-MLB Thursday morning and really am hoping to not have any cancellations...I need a vacation from all of this snow and ice up here!!!
Old Feb 10, 14, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by GNRMatt View Post
Anyone have any idea of how this may effect Thursday morning travel? I'm flying PHL-CLT-MLB Thursday morning and really am hoping to not have any cancellations...I need a vacation from all of this snow and ice up here!!!
Sadly you'll need a plan B if the current forecasts for both PHL and CLT verify. The height of the storm is likely to be Thu morning here in PHL, and CLT should already be a mess by then. I'd expect PHL will get a travel advisory tomorrow, and CLT already has one, so you may want to try considering rebooking options now.

This is going to be a mess. ATL is looking at ice out of this and thus should be avoided as an alternate as well.
Old Feb 10, 14, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
My wife has a flight from CLT-SFO on Wednesday, set to return the next day. If her flight gets cancelled, it doesn't really make sense for her to make the trip anymore. If they cancel the flight, she can get a full refund, correct? How would she go about doing that?
Old Feb 10, 14, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by DCdeacon View Post
My wife has a flight from CLT-SFO on Wednesday, set to return the next day. If her flight gets cancelled, it doesn't really make sense for her to make the trip anymore. If they cancel the flight, she can get a full refund, correct? How would she go about doing that?
Yes, if US cancels her flight, she should be able to call an agent and ask to cancel her trip for a full refund of the fare paid. I had something like that happen earlier this year when the snowstorm hit New England right after New Year's. The agent was relieved that I just wanted a refund, as that was a lot easier on her than trying to find another flight on which she could rebook me.

Search this Thread