Wiki Posts
Search

Broken oven - no meal in F

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: free agent
Broken oven - no meal in F

Mrs AT was on a flight earlier in the week LAS-PHL. This was a one-way award with UA miles. After boarding, the FA announced to the F cabin that there would be no meal because the oven was broken. They served just the salad and dessert - said she arrived PHL hungry (and all the food vendors had already closed by the time she arrived PHL)

Anyone else had a comparable experience? What would you do? Worth writing a note to CS in the hope of getting a few miles? Specifically - which CS? uS or UA? OK, stuff happens, but what I think is a little unfair is that they weren't told about the problem prior to boarding, otherwise she would have got some food in LAS.

Apparently, quite a few people were quite upset, so I'd imagine US CS has already heard about this.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It was US' oven, so write to US. If you paid with dollars instead of miles, you wouldn't look for something from the Bureau of Engraving.

Send in a webform and US will toss a few miles your wife's way.

Happens from time to time. Last thing any carrier is going to do is delay a flight while people run around the terminal buying last minute food. Chances are, the problem wasn't discovered until after the aircraft pushed anyway.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by Often1
Chances are, the problem wasn't discovered until after the aircraft pushed anyway.
It was discovered prior to any pax boarding. They were in the jetway when they were told.
Thx - will craft a note.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: US Airways: CP Hilton HHonors: Diamond
Had this happen to me leaving CLT once. They managed to get some cold sandwiches catered just before closing the door. I was going to complain, but ultimately decided the sandwich tasted better than a lot of the hot meals!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
If you paid with dollars instead of miles, you wouldn't look for something from the Bureau of Engraving.
Not sure this helps anything.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I'm surprised they didn't at least offer the F passengers what they were selling in Coach. I'd specifically put that in my letter to US Airways as well as they had the option of giving that to the F passengers for free and the cabin crew apparently didn't do that.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
...they had the option of giving that to the F passengers for free and the cabin crew apparently didn't do that.
Not sure that the FAs have that option. BuyonBoard food is accounted for separately under the US arrangement with a vendor, i.e. the FAs either return the food items at end of flight, or cough up the money for the food they gave away.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by kudzu
Not sure that the FAs have that option. BuyonBoard food is accounted for separately under the US arrangement with a vendor, i.e. the FAs either return the food items at end of flight, or cough up the money for the food they gave away.
A forward thinking manager would view this as a great customer service gesture, and reward the FA that took this initiative. (not sure, this would happen here though).

Last edited by scottsam66; Jan 31, 2014 at 9:39 am
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by scottsam66
I forward thinking manager would view this as a great customer service gesture, and reward the FA that took this initiative. (not sure, this would happen here though).
Oh, I agree (thinking of this great customer service thread).

It may also be a question of supply and demand, though - on popular flights, I hear the BuyOnBoard food (the "good stuff" anyway) gets sold out before the trolley reaches the middle of the main cabin ...
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by kudzu
Oh, I agree (thinking of this great customer service thread).

It may also be a question of supply and demand, though - on popular flights, I hear the BuyOnBoard food (the "good stuff" anyway) gets sold out before the trolley reaches the middle of the main cabin ...
Even if they didn't offer it for free, I would think they still should have offered it as an option.

Personally, I always travel with snacks. I don't eat most meat, so sometimes I've been on a flight, and the FA tells me that the pasta is all spoken for and all that's left is pork. The way it is cooked together, I usually can't eat anything on that dish.
So then I pull out my trusty snack bag and a protein bar.

That said, as the customer in question (OP's wife?) used UA miles, I'm not sure what US can offer. I'm curious what value they'd place on the F meal, especially considering that they still served the salad and dessert.
Perhaps a voucher toward future travel for $20?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by aztimm
Even if they didn't offer it for free, I would think they still should have offered it as an option.

Personally, I always travel with snacks. I don't eat most meat, so sometimes I've been on a flight, and the FA tells me that the pasta is all spoken for and all that's left is pork. The way it is cooked together, I usually can't eat anything on that dish.
So then I pull out my trusty snack bag and a protein bar.

That said, as the customer in question (OP's wife?) used UA miles, I'm not sure what US can offer. I'm curious what value they'd place on the F meal, especially considering that they still served the salad and dessert.
Perhaps a voucher toward future travel for $20?
When US serves one of it's usual ghastly meals, I've given the FA my CC and asked the FA to grab an item from the cart in steerage. Never had them say no.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
When US serves one of it's usual ghastly meals,
Hmm...ghastly, you say. Last time I heard that expression it was from an old curmudgeon sitting directly behind me in F.

But, you're right to stay away from the bull steaks, otherwise one could be accused of being full of it!

Last edited by GaryZ; Jan 31, 2014 at 5:36 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.