Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade percentage rapidly falling?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Upgrade percentage rapidly falling?

Hello,
I know we are all going to have to get used to this as our ultra high upgrade percentages on US will become a thing of the past as the merger continues to have more of an impact over the coming year. Has anyone else noticed a rapid decrease in the number of preferred upgrades? For example, last year, I hit Plat in June and CP in August. From June until December 31, I only missed two upgrades, one due to IROPS (had the UG then lost it) and the other was on a Friday AM from PHL-TPA, a fairly business heavy route at a peak time (I was #3 on the list so there were other CPs that missed it as well). But this year, I am running about 50% for upgrades. TPA and MCO are my home airports and while I am doing OK with TPA, I have missed all but one MCO upgrade. I am a BIS Chairman's, but qualify on segments, not miles, so I know that I am lower on the list of CP's (I did about 95k PQMs last year, but 168 PQSs).

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a sharp decline in UGs since the start of the year. It is looking like I will miss another, this Friday afternoon, CLT-MCO.......

Not sure if US is selling more F (that is not really a bad thing) or what is going on. Just find it strange that from June to December, I only missed 2 (1 due to IROPS) and since the start of this year, I have missed 7 UGs. Anyone else??
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
So far this calendar year I've only done TPA and CLT out of PHL but am 100% on upgrades as a CP thus far (9 of 9), as are two platinum colleagues on my project team. Florida of course is basically in peak season now through roughly the end of February for the "snow birds" and these folks are more likely to pay for F than your family heading to Disney.

Missing 7 does seem anomalously high though and some troubleshooting may be in order. Is F available when you're booking and are you getting the upgrade notifications 7 days out or shortly after ticketing?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: WFBF
So far haven't missed on a segment this year. Do have a flight coming up Friday where I haven't yet gotten thumbs-up, but there's still time.

Only missed once in the last couple months of 2013, as I recall.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by phlwookie
So far this calendar year I've only done TPA and CLT out of PHL but am 100% on upgrades as a CP thus far (9 of 9), as are two platinum colleagues on my project team. Florida of course is basically in peak season now through roughly the end of February for the "snow birds" and these folks are more likely to pay for F than your family heading to Disney.

Missing 7 does seem anomalously high though and some troubleshooting may be in order. Is F available when you're booking and are you getting the upgrade notifications 7 days out or shortly after ticketing?
Yea, I kinda wrote it off as "snow bird" season myself at first, but missing so many from MCO just seems strange. It is closer to my experience as a DL plat a few years ago than even my experience this time last year as a US Gold. I book usually 3 weeks out using my corporate booking website, it doesn't show F availability so I am not sure if it was available at booking or not. I do get the emails 7 days out, usually with a thumbs down and then again at the plat window with a thumbs up. I assume this has to do with the timing "o" inventory is released. When I do not get the thumbs up at the plat window, I have noticed that I will not receive any further upgrade status emails. Not sure if that is normal or not....
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
In the beginning of any year the upgrade percentages are naturally lower because you have elites who just made status from the prior year + elites who have expiring status for the prior year. The higher number of elites naturally means less upgrades for someone.

I'm on the trial platinum and so far I am 0/6
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Loads of cruise ships sailing out at this time of year. They pick up in TPA or MCO. maybe it's the cruise passengers taking the F space. You can get some really attractive airfare deals if you buy when you book your cruise.

Last couple times I've gone to YVR it's always been the day before the cruise ship departs and F was always full of cruisers.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by omegadeal
In the beginning of any year the upgrade percentages are naturally lower because you have elites who just made status from the prior year + elites who have expiring status for the prior year. The higher number of elites naturally means less upgrades for someone.

Welcome to US! It's a good point, and I would expect UGs to drop a bit, just not so much and in a leisure market to boot, especially when looking at last year as a US Gold. Perhaps there are more elites this year than usual given the issues at UA and the impending US/AA merger. Heck, I used to be all DL and AA until my client base moved to the southeast, instead of sticking with DL I moved to US expecting they would merge with AA at some point. Glad I did too, I have had a great experience on US and have never looked back at DL. Just can't wait for my AAdvantage and DM accounts to be combined!
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcpatti
Loads of cruise ships sailing out at this time of year. They pick up in TPA or MCO. maybe it's the cruise passengers taking the F space. You can get some really attractive airfare deals if you buy when you book your cruise.

Last couple times I've gone to YVR it's always been the day before the cruise ship departs and F was always full of cruisers.
Perhaps that's the case, didn't think about the cruises, I guess because they really aren't my thing. Does anyone know if not receiving UG status emails after the plat window is normal? Assuming you have not been upgraded, of course.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I'm 0-2 so far and after Sunday looking like 1-4.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
US has been offering some very attractive F fares in some markets. In many cases it is only 100 or 150 more than coach (e.g. LGA-CLT or DCA-MCO). At that price, as a Silver, I'll occasionally bite rather than go 50/50 on an upgrade (especially if it is a trip home and I'm not driving). For US it makes sense, they are actually getting revenue the seats. That combined with the large number of elites until March 1 might be the reason
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by omegadeal

I believe that this is a large part of the answer plus dcpatti's post about cruises. I don't think it's anything in general about the merger and a huge number of US+AA elites--at least not yet.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Take a look at some of the fares below F which get you a FC seat and you will see why many US short-hauls don't have many freebie UG's. Although you may give up flexibility, you can often fly in FC for less than Y (the fare bucket).
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Silver
I fly the PHL/SFO route a lot, and anecdotally speaking, I was almost 100% in 2012 (I only missed one flight when I was traveling with a +1 and there was only a single seat available), but 2013 saw that drop to about 80% (and I got my first ever battlefield upgrades, actually). What I have noticed is that the F cabin seems to be filling up faster before the CP window even hits; at least twice there have been no F seats available at the 7-day marker, so I've often wondered what was happening (a legitimately sold-out F cabin seems surprising to me).

-OM
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: US CP, Marriott Life Platinum, AVIS 1st
I missed an upgrade on a CLT to PHL flight last week. First missed upgrade in a while. Looked like at least 1/3 in the 319 were on miles but I always get upgraded on that flight.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by outwrdbound
Yea, I kinda wrote it off as "snow bird" season myself at first, but missing so many from MCO just seems strange. It is closer to my experience as a DL plat a few years ago than even my experience this time last year as a US Gold. I book usually 3 weeks out using my corporate booking website, it doesn't show F availability so I am not sure if it was available at booking or not. I do get the emails 7 days out, usually with a thumbs down and then again at the plat window with a thumbs up. I assume this has to do with the timing "o" inventory is released. When I do not get the thumbs up at the plat window, I have noticed that I will not receive any further upgrade status emails. Not sure if that is normal or not....
You can check http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ilabilityEx.do for your flight; I suggest using the Advanced mode and selecting US to limit results. For instance, just randomly picking US 667 PHL-SFO this coming Sunday night, it shows:

Available Seats:
First: 1 (at least)
Fare Classes: F/1 A/1 P/1

So anyone looking to upgrade on that flight doesn't have the best chances, as that last F seat is almost certainly being held for purchase for now.

Apparently AA opted out of participation on that site, so that might not work in a year or so, but it does for US operated flights for now.

Paid tools such as kvstool.com can also pull this seat inventory. KVS shows this for PHL-MCO this coming Sunday:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.3/Diamond - Availability/FS/US]
Code:
PHL  Philadelphia Metro / Intl PA US = PHL TTN ZFV [KPHL]
MCO  Orlando Intl FL US [KMCO]
SUN  26 Jan 2014

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------
US         1850    PHL   06:50     MCO   09:23     320      F9 A9 P9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 N9 V9 W9 L9 S9 T9 G9 K9 U9 E9 R3
US         1728    PHL   07:59     MCO   10:45     321      F9 A9 P9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 N9 V9 W9 L9 S0 T0 G0 K0 U0 E0 R0
US         1758    PHL   10:05     MCO   12:53     321      F5 A5 P5 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 N9 V0 W0 L0 S0 T0 G0 K0 U0 E0 R0
US         1746    PHL   11:30     MCO   14:07     321      F1 A0 P0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 N9 V0 W0 L0 S0 T0 G0 K0 U0 E0 R0
US         1748    PHL   13:35     MCO   16:07     320      F6 A6 P6 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 N9 V0 W0 L0 S0 T0 G0 K0 U0 E0 R0
US         735     PHL   15:50     MCO   18:26     752      F0 A0 P0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 N9 V9 W9 L9 S0 T0 G0 K0 U0 E0 R0
US         759     PHL   18:10     MCO   20:53     321      F6 A6 P6 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 N9 V9 W9 L9 S9 T9 G9 K9 U9 E9 R2
US         839     PHL   20:40     MCO   23:14     762      F9 A9 P9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 N9 V9 W9 L9 S9 T9 G9 K9 U9 E9 R2
So there is moderate availability remaining, and we're inside the CP window as I write this, and a bunch of O inventory will likely get released tonight with the platinum window.

I don't usually see another upgrade email after a thumbs down unless I actually get the upgrade, so I think that's normal.

Originally Posted by Ottermatic
I fly the PHL/SFO route a lot, and anecdotally speaking, I was almost 100% in 2012 (I only missed one flight when I was traveling with a +1 and there was only a single seat available), but 2013 saw that drop to about 80% (and I got my first ever battlefield upgrades, actually). What I have noticed is that the F cabin seems to be filling up faster before the CP window even hits; at least twice there have been no F seats available at the 7-day marker, so I've often wondered what was happening (a legitimately sold-out F cabin seems surprising to me).

-OM
There are really only three domestic routes that I "worry" will sell out F more than 7 days in advance: PHL-PHX, PHL-SFO, and PHL-LAX. The same routes out of CLT, as well as DCA-PHX, are also eligible for this concern, but I have less reason to do those connections most of the time so don't monitor them as much. For example: most flights are already less than F9 on Mon Feb 3 on PHL-PHX, and one is sold out in F already:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.3/Diamond - Availability/FS/US]
Code:
PHL  Philadelphia Metro / Intl PA US = PHL TTN ZFV [KPHL]
PHX  Phoenix Sky Harbor Intl AZ US [KPHX]
MON  03 Feb 2014

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------
US         889     PHL   06:50     PHX   10:18     321      F8 A8 P8 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 N9 V9 W8 L0 S0 T0 G0 K0 U0 E0 R0
US         400     PHL   08:14     PHX   11:43     321      F7 A7 P7 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 N9 V3 W3 L0 S0 T0 G0 K0 U0 E0 R0
US         1826    PHL   10:15     PHX   13:47     752      F6 A6 P6 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 N9 V8 W0 L0 S0 T0 G0 K0 U0 E0 R0
US         1743    PHL   13:45     PHX   17:06     752      F7 A7 P7 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 N9 V9 W9 L5 S0 T0 G0 K0 U0 E0 R0
US         404     PHL   15:35     PHX   18:56     320      F8 A8 P8 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 N9 V9 W9 L7 S0 T0 G0 K0 U0 E0 R0
US         689     PHL   15:59     PHX   21:36     320      F0 A0 P0 Y0 B0 M0 H0 Q0 N0 V0 W0 L0 S0 T0 G0 K0 U0 E0 R0
US         578     PHL   18:00     PHX   21:29     321      F9 A9 P9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 N9 V9 W9 L9 S9 T9 G9 K9 U9 E9 R9

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.