FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Infomercial at 35k Feet? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1544001-infomercial-35k-feet.html)

imapilotaz Jan 21, 2014 4:27 pm

Infomercial at 35k Feet?

What the heck is the deal with the 5 minute informecial onboard US for their credit card? I just had a FA spend 3 of those minutes listing about 40 destinations you could travel to with that 40k miles from the credit card sign up.

I would exect this on Allegiant but seriously? How embarassing for the employees.

flight62 Jan 21, 2014 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by imapilotaz (Post 22197173)
What the heck is the deal with the 5 minute informecial onboard US for their credit card? I just had a FA spend 3 of those minutes listing about 40 destinations you could travel to with that 40k miles from the credit card sign up.

I would exect this on Allegiant but seriously? How embarassing for the employees.

I hate it but at $50 per application approved, there's gold in them there hills. Headsets are your best friend. ;)

MAH4546 Jan 21, 2014 4:51 pm

It's the US Airways way of doing business - like everything they do, a tacky moneygrab.

LarryG Jan 21, 2014 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by flight62 (Post 22197246)
I hate it but at $50 per application approved, there's gold in them there hills. Headsets are your best friend. ;)

Always wondered how that money is split between the flight crew. Do you alternate flight attendant #'s on the brochures?

imapilotaz Jan 21, 2014 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 22197331)
It's the US Airways way of doing business - like everything they do, a tacky moneygrab.

Couldnt have said it better. I now remember why i was in shock flying on AA/DL/UA after being forced on US/HP/WN for 5 years

djw02002 Jan 21, 2014 5:28 pm

But it is a VERY limited time offer.

bkafrick Jan 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Turn up music... problem solved.

relangford Jan 21, 2014 7:47 pm

I am irritated because I ALREADY have the Barclays card. I understand that Citi will stay with AA and Barclays with US for a while yet, so I suspect US will push even harder for the card.

PainCorp Jan 21, 2014 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by flight62 (Post 22197246)

I don't know what is is for US, but it isn't that high for AA.

GNVFlyer Jan 21, 2014 8:01 pm

It is at the flight crew's discretion. I have to laugh because, at times, it is the only time some of the FA's smile in coach

fastflyer Jan 21, 2014 8:14 pm

Wait til you need something at a US club. Had my first re-route onto US in decades last week: MCI-DCA-BDL. Club bartender nearly went apoplectic when I asked to buy a sandwich, & after declaring all food sold out, I inquired at the front desk if I may bring outside food. Desk agent had to negotiate with the furious bartender the sale of the sandwich (which she stated will always be stocked while she is front desk shift captain.) She was proactive but bartender was livid. Hope that this isn't indicative of staff sentiment generally.

ubernostrum Jan 21, 2014 8:28 pm

Well, on the plus side it's less of a barrage than UA has had for their card. And I have good noise-canceling headphones.

Plus, once or twice I'm pretty sure I've heard it only going over the PA in Y, not in F. Not sure how that works, but I'm in favor of that approach :)

Pinned Jan 21, 2014 9:59 pm

Infomercial at 35k Feet?

It's because US Airways is basically an LCC but without the updated planes and nice amenities of the likes of JetBlue (who, by the way, don't pitch credit cards incessantly).

I'm sure I'll get some hate for this, but that's how their flights have led me to feel about their business.

ubernostrum Jan 22, 2014 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Pinned (Post 22198866)
It's because US Airways is basically an LCC but without the updated planes and nice amenities of the likes of JetBlue (who, by the way, don't pitch credit cards incessantly).

I'm sure I'll get some hate for this, but that's how their flights have led me to feel about their business.

HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT THE UNITED MILEAGEPLUS EXPLORER CARD?

I dunno about "LCC", I mean

THE UNITED MILEAGEPLUS EXPLORER CARD HAS NO FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEES!

sure, it's kind of annoying that there's an announcement

THE UNITED MILEAGEPLUS EXPLORER CARD COMES WITH A FREE UNITED CLUB DAY PASS!

in the plane about a credit-card offer, but for the most part you

FREE CHECKED BAGS WITH THE UNITED MILEAGEPLUS EXPLORER CARD!

can just tune it out, unlike

THE UNITED MILEAGEPLUS EXPLORER CARD WILL GET YOU PRIORITY BOARDING!

some other airlines' card-offer shenanigans, and I don't know if you'd call them "LCCs"...

IADCAflyer Jan 22, 2014 5:42 am

On a recent hop up to BOS, I heard a FA talking to a couple of the passengers in the row ahead of me about the credit card offer routine (BTW, on three out of the past four flights, I've noticed the announcement is muted in F class and piped through only to coach).

According to this FA, payouts are made on a scale basis based on the number of applications you sign up. The more you sign, the more you get. She made it clear that its not on a flat per-application basis. She also noted that one FA friend of hers who is apparently rather adept at the game made over $25,000 last year in signups.