Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of Same-Day Flight Change or Standby AA - US? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
This is annoying, but totally makes sense. They're merging (glacially) but they aren't one airline yet and have made it clear that they will maintain two separate airlines with two separate reservations systems until at least the end of 2015.

Last edited by sosfo; Feb 13, 2015 at 8:37 am
Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For all purposes, you should consider US and AA to be separate carriers because they are. They merely have a single owner. To the extent that there are joint services, e.g. elite UG's and the like, that is no different than any agreement between two carriers.

The creative solution and it depends on what you paid for the US segment would have been to process a fee-free refund and permit you to purchase a ticket on the next available AA and SB for the flight you want. At an AC, an agent relatively certain that you would clear, might obtain permission to overbook you into positive space. But, that would all involve getting US and AA to agree to this and then doing it.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Often1
The creative solution and it depends on what you paid for the US segment would have been to process a fee-free refund and permit you to purchase a ticket on the next available AA and SB for the flight you want. At an AC, an agent relatively certain that you would clear, might obtain permission to overbook you into positive space. But, that would all involve getting US and AA to agree to this and then doing it.
Yes, we tried that. (Well, not exactly. No need to cancel and purchase anew/they could have just sold the new flights into the existing record.) Unfortunately there were literally no AA seats for sale that day, so nothing to buy. The AAngel also tried to request an overbook, but was denied--it was already oversold. It was not about either US or AA agents agreeing to do something, they were all on board. It was entirely a systems limitation.

As a prior poster said, as much as the front line agents may be trying to make things seamless, the systems are simply not integrated, which means some situations are simply not solvable. Unfortunately, they are adjusting their schedules already, so neither airline has the frequency it used to in certain routes, meaning the flexibility is actually decreasing through this period.

(Ironically, the US bird that went mechanical was already painted in Captain America colors, so they're certainly trying to put on a "single airline" face as soon as possible.)
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA and US maintain separate Air Carrier Operating Certificates and operate as separate carriers with a slightly enhanced relationship, such as unequal but possible upgrades, etc. etc.

The full integration, including operating under one ACOC, will take more time - possibly late 2016 for completion?

Until that time, I wont make any assumptions about how I'll be treated on and by US; there are most likely going to be disparities and service gaps for some time ahead.

Sorry to hear of your troubles; thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I tried doing this when flying AA and trying to go standby on the US Shuttle and got the no from both the BOS AC and the former BOS US Club. Sure will be nice once it all gets worked out!
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
I had a similar experience, that worked out OK, when trying to switch from JFK-LAX-SFO, with the LAX-SFO leg on US Airways Express, to the non-stop JFK-SFO. The agent at JFK did the same day change for me for $75, but then had to walk the ticket over to a US Airways ticket desk to cancel out the US leg.

As she came back, she said "one day, soon, we'll be one airline".

I now avoid mixed tickets as much as I can, but its not easy.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
As it's already half year, has anything changed to SDS for AA-coded US-operated flights?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: DM Gold, SPG Gold
Booked ticket on US, flight operated by AA...MoveUp/Standby on earlier US flight?

I will be departing PHL->MIA->LIM this week with a relatively tight connection at MIA. If seats are available, I'd like to catch to an earlier flight into MIA (as I often do at no cost as DM Gold) with MoveUp, as I'm a little cautious of the flight to MIA being late. Missing the flight to LIM would be a downer, as the next flight on AA isn't until 14 hours later.

My tickets were purchased on US Airways (although through credit card co), but the flights are both operated by AA. My question relates to this: There's a flight that departs PHL 2.5-hr earlier but it's US metal. The preceding AA-operated flight is 7-hr earlier. Will the standby/moveup/change policies of US or AA apply? My preference is to standby on the flight 2.5hr US prior to my current scheduled departure, not so much the 7-hr earlier AA flight. Secondary preference is not not be charged fees for this, as unlikely as that may be in this day & age.

Does anyone have experience with successfully being allowed to standby or MoveUp under these circumstances without a change fee/ticket difference increase? If so, would I be better off talking to gate or ticketing agent with US or AA?

I e-mailed and called customer service depts with US Airways and was told to contact a ticketing department who have only referred me back to the original referring general inquiries department...in a circle... which is just frustrating.

Thanks to all!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Since your flights are on AA metal until the systems merge, you can only "move up" on AA metal. Keep in mind the "move up" program on AA is called Same Day Change and operates differently than the US Move Up program. Main differences are:

1) Fee is only waived for Chairmans Preferred and Executive Platinums. As a gold, you'd have to pay.

2) If its available and your ticket allows for it, it can be done at the airport, online or by phone with AA.

Also, I'd track the flight like a hawk. If you see it delays and there is enough time to get to the airport for the earlier flight, call and get rebooked.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I'd agree with milesandmoremiles, but also add that standby is an option for the AA flight for free for USDM preferred members. Call AA and check the inventory for the flight and if it looks like there are a number of unsold seats and a short standby list, you could save the $75 and do the standby. But then again $75 for a confirmed seat is pretty good...
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: DM Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks! This is along the lines of what I expected, but generally like to show up to the airport with a fair idea of the appropriate policies and precedents before riling up the agents at the gate, and unfortunately I wasn't getting anywhere with US customer service.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
Originally Posted by zig2
As it's already half year, has anything changed to SDS for AA-coded US-operated flights?
Last week, I tried to standby on an earlier CLT-MIA flight on AA while being booked on US CLT-MIA two hours later. Was told by AA agent that it's still not possible (luckily I was able to stand by on US CLT-FLL a few minutes later).
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
If I am booked on an AA flight number operated by US, can I go standby on an earlier US flight (or even an earlier AA flight)?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
If I am booked on an AA flight number operated by US, can I go standby on an earlier US flight (or even an earlier AA flight)?
Yes - I just did it today (US to US). IIRC it's actually a confirmed seat for any flight <6 hours ahead of your flight. Have to do it at the airport though.

Of course, at both the AC at LGA and at the gate, they initially refused to waive the $25 Preferred/Choice/whatever fee for an aisle seat in the front half of the plane
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:14 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by keepssmile
Pure standby on AA metal is okay. Anything else, including standing by another co-terminal airport (e.g. ORD-LGA to ORD-JFK) is not allowed on BA award ticket.
Have any of y'all tried standing by on AA metal/Avios award ticket for a different *day*?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.