Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of Same-Day Flight Change or Standby AA - US? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Interested to hear how this turned out as I have the same situation coming up in 2 weeks.

AA GLD.
AA ticket.
AA flight numbers, US code share.
Wanting to SDS on AA

Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:30 am

I've been in this situation:

American platinum member. Two part ticket. First flight on US Air metal and second on American metal.

I tried to check into US Air and do a same day standby for early flights. I was told I could not because of mixed metal.

After talking to a manager, I was able to stand by for the early flight on US Air into CLT. Once at CLT I could not standby for an early flight on US Air metal because my original ticket was an American metal flight.

I talk to custom service from both airlines and was told the same thing. You cannot same day standby for metal on one airline if the original ticket is for the other. Maybe in a year
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by chitownjeff
I talk to custom service from both airlines and was told the same thing. You cannot same day standby for metal on one airline if the original ticket is for the other. Maybe in a year
That's my understanding since AA and US have different policies - AA has SDS and US has MoveUp/standby depending on whether seats are available. Of course, the rumored changes next week may completely change this difference.

Jim
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
That's my understanding since AA and US have different policies - AA has SDS and US has MoveUp/standby depending on whether seats are available. Of course, the rumored changes next week may completely change this difference.

Jim
So just to clarify, since I booked through AA, even though both flights are on US metal, I should be able to SDC or SDS for an earlier flight that is on AA metal as I would be following AA rules as an AA booking?

Is that the correct reading of this situation?

I will be watching for reports on what other traveler's experiences are with the new policy post June 11th.

Thanks
Old Jun 8, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by syndney
So just to clarify, since I booked through AA, even though both flights are on US metal, I should be able to SDC or SDS for an earlier flight that is on AA metal as I would be following AA rules as an AA booking?

Is that the correct reading of this situation?

I will be watching for reports on what other traveler's experiences are with the new policy post June 11th.

Thanks
It depends on the operating carrier. So Move Up will apply since flying US.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, AA million miler, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver
Issues with standby on AA/US codeshares (consolidated)

I am AA Gold. If I purchase tickets on AA.com, with AA flight numbers on US Air metal, do I have still have the ability to do same day standby and travel on AA metal if available? (Actually both are AA flight numbers and one flight is on AA metal and connecting is on US metal).

Thanks.

David

Last edited by go4bal; Jun 14, 2014 at 10:28 pm
Old Jun 15, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat/1MM
Originally Posted by go4bal
I am AA Gold. If I purchase tickets on AA.com, with AA flight numbers on US Air metal, do I have still have the ability to do same day standby and travel on AA metal if available? (Actually both are AA flight numbers and one flight is on AA metal and connecting is on US metal).

Thanks.

David
I would like to know the same. Anyone?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum)
Can't Standby cross fleet

Many of you may already have discovered this, but I found out today that if your ticket is on AA metal (even if you booked it through US), then you can't standby on an (earlier) US flight. And, you can't use a USAirways Club free day pass at the Admirals Club.

I booked a refundable ticket on USAirways.com last week PHL-ORD and return. The PHL-ORD was US but the return was AA. I got done early and went to the gate for the US flight to PHL, but when I got to the front, was told that even though there were seats, I could not go standby (even as CP). They can't pull from one system to another.

So I called the Chairman's desk to see if there was any magic they could do, but alas, not possible. I then asked about changing my ticket to the earlier flight...first was told $200 plus fare difference, but when I pointed out I had purchased a flexible fare, then was told just the fare difference...but by the time the agent got back, no more seats were available...

I did ask the agent if he thought I could wait at the Admirals Club, since I did have a day pass for the USAirways Club I hadn't used, and he said it should be no problem.

At the Admirals Club...problem. Their only suggestion was to sell me a $50 day pass, which I thought a bit steep for a couple of hours. I asked the agent if I could get someone to guest me in, but she said "they have to know you"... I'm always happy to make new friends, but the first guy said no, the second guy was flying international (so didn't have a membership), and the third guy only had a credit card membership which doesn't allow guests. So I gave up...but are the Admirals Clubs really so nice that they're worth $50 for a day pass?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by dchirsch
At the Admirals Club...problem. Their only suggestion was to sell me a $50 day pass, which I thought a bit steep for a couple of hours. I asked the agent if I could get someone to guest me in, but she said "they have to know you"... I'm always happy to make new friends, but the first guy said no, the second guy was flying international (so didn't have a membership), and the third guy only had a credit card membership which doesn't allow guests. So I gave up...but are the Admirals Clubs really so nice that they're worth $50 for a day pass?
I'm only going to comment on the Admiral Club membership via credit card. First an foremost, IT IS A FULL MEMBERSHIP WITH GUEST ACCESS, period. There seems to be an ongoing questioning/misunderstanding on FT regarding the validity of this membership. All details are CLEARLY provided in the sign in process, there is nothing hidden, yet people that are willing to spend $400+ still can not figure it out. I myself have been a member for the past 2 years via credit card without any issues, 6 years prior to that as a AC member. As for your others issues, stand by, the programs are still being treated as separate, and the reciprocity is rather limited. We just recently got confirmation on upgrades, but that is all. As for the AA/US lounge access, that seems rather odd, but I can clearly see that if your pass only says US, then its US, but I would question this. $50 for 2hours use, its your call, free soda, WIFI, comfortable chairs, some snacks, more "amicable" agents, less crowded than regular terminal, a "quiet zone, computer/printer capabilities, etc, again, your call. The day that US Air is eliminated, and we are all called American Air, then there SHOULD NOT be any issues. Before that, I can clearly see some issues.

Last edited by arollins; Jun 19, 2014 at 9:00 pm
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum)
Thanks...mostly I was venting...but i am surprised that people are clueless about their memberships...unless that guy just wanted a nice way to say no. Had I known, I might not have given up so easily.

While the $50 was marginal for 2 hours, the 2 has now turned into 4...but of course I couldn't have known that at the time. The original flight I tried to get on still hadn't left as of 45 min ago, the earlier AA flight cancelled, and I am now scheduled to get into PHL a bit before 3am. Given that there is still a plane at my gate, and they are setting up cots at the airport, I should count my blessings that it still looks like I will get home tonight.

And I did learn a valuable lesson about standby that I will consider for future trips until the merger is really complete.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:04 pm

Thanks...mostly I was venting...but i am surprised that people are clueless about their memberships...unless that guy just wanted a nice way to say no. Had I known, I might not have given up so easily.

While the $50 was marginal for 2 hours, the 2 has now turned into 4...but of course I couldn't have known that at the time. The original flight I tried to get on still hadn't left as of 45 min ago, the earlier AA flight cancelled, and I am now scheduled to get into PHL a bit before 3am. Given that there is still a plane at my gate, and they are setting up cots at the airport, I should count my blessings that it still looks like I will get home tonight.

And I did learn a valuable lesson about standby that I will consider for future trips until the merger is really complete.
Hang in there, we all have been in this same situation in the past, sucks, but its all part of flying.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond; National Executive Elite
Admirals Club also includes free alcohol (house brands)
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by arollins
I'm only going to comment on the Admiral Club membership via credit card. First an foremost, IT IS A FULL MEMBERSHIP WITH GUEST ACCESS, period. There seems to be an ongoing questioning/misunderstanding on FT regarding the validity of this membership.
It's possible the person in question did not actually have a membership, nor the Citi Executive World Elite card. Keep in mind that the Citi Prestige card offers AC access, but not a membership.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
It's possible the person in question did not actually have a membership, nor the Citi Executive World Elite card. Keep in mind that the Citi Prestige card offers AC access, but not a membership.
Citi Prestige does offer guesting capability, it is clearly written in their T&C. I'm not going to get into who can qualify as a guest, but it is there and available. This is a cut/paste of their AC access policy:

"ADMIRALS CLUB® ACCESS PRIVILEGES FOR CITI PRESTIGE:
Benefit applies to Citi Prestige® primary cardmembers who are 18 years of age or older and are traveling on American, American Eagle Airlines, Inc. or an American Connection carrier flight number only. The primary cardmember may bring as guest(s) either immediate family (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under 18 years of age) or up to two traveling guests. This benefit does not provide access privileges to US Airways clubs®, Arrivals Lounge, or Flagship® Lounge facilities, or other airline lounges or clubs with which American Airlines may have reciprocal lounge or club access privileges, including lounges operated by oneworld Alliance. To access the Admirals Club® lounge, the primary cardmember must present (i) his or her open and valid Citi Prestige World Elite™ MasterCard®, (ii) his or her current government-issued I.D., and (iii) any additional required documentation. Prestige cardmembers must present a stand-by ticket or boarding pass, showing an American, American Eagle Airlines, Inc., or an American Connection carrier flight number, valid for travel on such flight. To locate a current list of lounges please visit aa.com/admiralsclub. For more information, please see Admirals Club Access Privileges for Citi Prestige in the Citi Prestige Card Terms and Conditions at citi.com/citiprestige. "

Last edited by arollins; Jun 20, 2014 at 7:55 am
Old Jun 20, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA PRO
Issues with standby on AA/US codeshares (consolidated)

I was also told on 6/15 at DFW that standby across metal was not possible. Luckily the baggage recheck agent (at customs) was very competent and efficient and I could hustle to the AA flight and get home 2.5 hours early... Although it meant giving up my F seat for row 25 (booooo)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.