Status of Same-Day Flight Change or Standby AA - US? (consolidated)

Old Aug 24, 15, 12:39 pm

Programs: AAEXP 3+MM, Marriott Plt and Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond
I had a flight this weekend from HHH to ORD connecting in CLT. I tried to do a confirmed standby. I am an EXP. I was told that even though I bought the ticket on AA.com I was at the mercy of USAir rules which allow only 6 hour pull ahead. Can anyone tell me on OCT 18 will the 24 confirmed standby still be available? Or will it be the 6 our pull ahead offered by US?
Old Aug 24, 15, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by flyinghome View Post
I had a flight this weekend from HHH to ORD connecting in CLT. I tried to do a confirmed standby. I am an EXP. I was told that even though I bought the ticket on AA.com I was at the mercy of USAir rules which allow only 6 hour pull ahead. Can anyone tell me on OCT 18 will the 24 confirmed standby still be available? Or will it be the 6 our pull ahead offered by US?
AA announced that their 24 hour confirmed standby policy will be the combined policy after the reservations systems are merged.

Good news is AA policy has wider timeframe, doesn't require being physically present at airport to execute, and can be used for flights before or after scheduled flight.

Bad news is AA policy is very selective about availability of seat into specific fare buckets, while US policy permitted confirmed Move Up to any seat available for sale in same cabin.
Old Sep 1, 15, 6:33 pm

Apologies for a possible noob question, but I'm transitioning from primarily traveling on DL to AA and can't seem to find an answer to this after a lot of looking.....

Upcoming trip DCA--LGA--YYZ. DCA--LGA on US Airways metal, LGA-YYZ on AA. Booking code P for the US leg (First); I on the AA leg (Business).

Current itinerary has a healthy (3:25 healthy) layover. There is an earlier LGA-YYZ flight that would be a very tight connection, but it would beat 3+ hours in LaGuardia.

Based on the booking code, would it be possible to do same-day STANDBY for the earlier YYZ flight, while hanging on to the confirmed later booking? I figure if I make it, cool... if not, get cozy in the Admirals Club, but I don't want to do a same-day change since that means giving up the sure thing.

Thanks much!
Old Sep 3, 15, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA-PPRO(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Plat; Hilton-Gold; Hyatt & MLife-Platinum, RCI-Diamond +
I think I can, I did it once, but they canceled a flight, but please give me your expertise.

I'm flying on a Saturday early October in Y HKG-DFW-FLL that has too long a layover (4 hours) until the DFW-FLL leg. It is a short trip, so I'll be rather tired and I'm traveling with only a small carry-on, I have Global Entry.

There is a DFW-MIA 777 that leaves an hour and a half after I land. I am EXP and I am willing to do same day standby vs. confirmed (although that would likely work too and maybe get my domestic upgrade too) I believe 138 is typically on time and 1 1/2 hours is way plenty of time.

Isn't there something about they consider FLL and MIA interchangeable or something like that? I live between both airports so either one is good.

Thanks
Old Sep 4, 15, 2:14 am

I wouldn't bet your life the plane will arrive on time. It's going through China airspace, there's bound to be delays.

I dnot think you can stand by for different city as a standby correct me if im wrong
Old Oct 12, 15, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jerosenberg View Post
I have found variations of this same question asked many times, but I have not been able to find an answer. I am AA Platinum and flying the first week of August 2015 on a mixed US AA reservation. Ticketed by US. Flight 1 is operated by US Express (Skywest) and connects to flight 2, which is operated by American Eagle (Mesa). If I want to take an earlier flight (I am okay with either direct or same routing) does anyone know if this falls under AA Same-day Flight Change or US MoveUp (i.e., which program governs since it is a mixed reservation)? Thanks in advance!
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The US flight is covered by US' MoveUp and AA by AA's SDC. It is the operating carrier's policy which applies to each flight.

For this purpose, the fact that the second segment is on AA is handled no differently than UA or DL operated it.
This does not work so well in practice and there appears to be loopholes. Segment 1 on US and segment 2 on AA. US check-in agent thought she could move me up on both flights to US operated, but was incorrect. I discovered at the connecting airport when the gate agent gave me a stern "no" when I asked her to print my boarding pass. However, I called the AA Platinum desk and they were able to work some magic and get me on the earlier US operated flight. The connecting US agent did not appear thrilled when I asked her to check again and there I was.