Wiki Posts
Search

Waiting for TIV refund (4 Months)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Angry Waiting for TIV refund (4 Months)

In September I booked my year end millage run to keep Chairman.

My 1st flight was delayed so I let US move me to Alaska Airlines to get me to ANC where I could resume my millage run.

Well Alaska got me to SEA then took a mechanical delay to ANC effectively ruining my trip. The thing is that Alaska could have moved me to another SEA ->ANC flight and I could have made the turn in ANC.

I contact US Airways and requested a TIV with a flight home. This of course is happening around midnight in SEA.

So I get home in the morning no problem.

I have now been waiting 4 months for my TIV refund. US tells me that they are waiting for their refund from Alaska Airlines before they can refund my ticket.

The cost US is seeking from Alaska Airlines is only $65.00 (rounded)

I cant believe US would hold up my refund.
Remember US was delayed on my 1st leg and moved me to Alaska Airlines where they went mechanical.

Also,

While waiting for this refund I had to book another millage run out of my pocket ($600.00) to keep Chairman.

Anyone have experience with a TIV refund which involves another airline on a US Airways ticket?

Is it time for me to start shaming US Airways on Twitter?

Thanks, and I will update this post as this gets worked out.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
I would tell them that if they don't respond within 24 hours you're going to the DOT to file a complaint - I believe the DOT requires refunds to be issued within 7 days of the request.

Last time I had a refund pending for almost two weeks, I told the Chairman's line that I was going to the DOT and got a follow-up email within a few hours saying that my refund was processed.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: None
Excellent advice - there's nothing like a DOT report, especially one involving a violation of the DOT rules, to focus US' attention.

Jim
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Quick update.

I received a credit back to my credit card for the difference in my voucher amount.

After numerous phone calls I have now been issued a new voucher for the balance.

They have told me that I have to redeem the voucher within 2 months, that it is good from the initial issue date.

I told them this was not acceptable, that the voucher was re-issued and should be valid for 1 year. I have emailed customer service so we will see what they say.

If I'm not satisfied I will then file with the DOT and write into a few travel publications for assistance.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Hhonors Diamond, AA Exec Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rebadc
Quick update.

I received a credit back to my credit card for the difference in my voucher amount.

After numerous phone calls I have now been issued a new voucher for the balance.

They have told me that I have to redeem the voucher within 2 months, that it is good from the initial issue date.

I told them this was not acceptable, that the voucher was re-issued and should be valid for 1 year. I have emailed customer service so we will see what they say.

If I'm not satisfied I will then file with the DOT and write into a few travel publications for assistance.
Writing to the DOT has done nothing for me. I would keep doing what you are doing. It seems to be working.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rather than waiting around and wasting time, make the request, wait 10 days, and then simply dispute the charge on your CC, citing the US COC provision for TIV.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Often1
Rather than waiting around and wasting time, make the request, wait 10 days, and then simply dispute the charge on your CC, citing the US COC provision for TIV.
Probably a bit late for that if the OP booked in September. Also, I can't find any TIV provision, as such, in the CoC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.