Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

If no First Class seats are open when you check in at the airport, you'll have the option to be added to the standby list, but you must be the only person listed in your reservation.
If there are multiple Preferred members in one reservation, you must ask to have your reservation separated at the airport.
If you're traveling with a non-Preferred member, you will also need to have your reservation separated at the airport; however, your companion will no longer be eligible for a complimentary upgrade.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? click, "Edit Wikipost," and make the changes @:-)

Prior thread can be found here:
US Automatic Upgrades (Elite)
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014]

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 1:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
maybe JUST maybe they moved some of the AA IT people over to US..
You optimist, you!
Old May 10, 2014, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
You optimist, you!
I have my moments.
Old May 11, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Ugh.... I missed the upgrade for DCA-CLT-STL (US2002 + US1801) at the Gold window, something that in over 30 segments on this route I have always cleared at the window at every preferred level I've been on. KVS shows 1 F seat open for 2002 and 2 F seats open for 1801. I know nothing about this is surprising, but I just love having a place to vent.
Old May 11, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
No go for me on PHL-MIA this week. And 16 seats to boot.

On the flip side, I'm the only one booked in F flying DCA-PHL on US Express with a E-175.
Old May 13, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Could someone please remind us what happens in a connecting flight that has the same flight number for both segments (direct but not nonstop)? I remember reading that it can cause some problems but cannot find anything about it right now. I'm booked on such a flight and worried about how it could affect my upgrade chances.
Old May 13, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
empty FC seats

Two flights, both A321s. US 676 PHL-LAS Fri 5/9, went out with 3 empty FC seats. US 607 LAS-PHL Mon 5/12, also went out with 3 empty FC seats. Coach was full on both. Hard to believe there wasn't a GP or SP to claim those seats. I don't think there would -ever- be such a situation on Delta.

My 2014 upgrades: DL as Plat 2/15, US as Chmn a perfect 25/25.
Old May 13, 2014, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by apk123
Could someone please remind us what happens in a connecting flight that has the same flight number for both segments (direct but not nonstop)? I remember reading that it can cause some problems but cannot find anything about it right now. I'm booked on such a flight and worried about how it could affect my upgrade chances.
Both legs of the flight must be available in order for you to be upgraded. The system sees the two as a single trip and in my experience there is nothing an agent can do to upgrade you on one segment without the other.
Old May 13, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
Two flights, both A321s. US 676 PHL-LAS Fri 5/9, went out with 3 empty FC seats. US 607 LAS-PHL Mon 5/12, also went out with 3 empty FC seats. Coach was full on both. Hard to believe there wasn't a GP or SP to claim those seats. I don't think there would -ever- be such a situation on Delta.

Did you happen to check the upgrade list to see if anyone was on it?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...e-website.html

-OM
Old May 14, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by johnslloyd

This happened on flight 1712 from PHX to PHL on the 28th of April. We had two not show up in 2A and 2C and we were having to head around storms and taking on extra fuel so were running about 45 minutes late. There were 12 people on the upgrade list but they put two pilots in them at the last minute who were jump seating. The FA asked the GA several times if she was going to upgrade someone but she just sat there chatting away. Thankfully I had already been upgraded but I did write in about it to make them aware that there were 12 people in line for those seats and to just give them to the jump seaters seemed wrong. They gave me the usual form letter back that they try to operate on time as usual they misread some of my complaint. I was just writing in to let them know that when you can spend 45 minutes chatting you could upgrade two people who would have rather been in first than sitting back in coach.

I once had a flight where I was in 4E (Bulkhead Coach) and had to fly looking at 3C open the entire flight as the GA didn't upgrade me and I was first on the list. It's much easier back in coach if you don't know a seat is open
Old May 14, 2014, 6:37 am

Both legs of the flight must be available in order for you to be upgraded. The system sees the two as a single trip and in my experience there is nothing an agent can do to upgrade you on one segment without the other.
Thanks. Do you know if I can SDC the first leg (without it being considered as "different number of stops")? Will I then be able to clear an upgrade for the second flight if available?

Some more info:

The first leg is a short hop with many frequencies. The second leg is a long flight with just a couple of flights a day. I am worried about a situation where I'm not upgraded because of the short hop flight. And it can happen - looking at the mobile site for yesterday's flight, the short hop had people on the upgrade list with uncleared upgrades, while the long flight left with an open seat in F.
Old May 14, 2014, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by apk123
Thanks. Do you know if I can SDC the first leg (without it being considered as "different number of stops")? Will I then be able to clear an upgrade for the second flight if available?
I'm not clear what you mean by this. What is SDC? And what is the 'different number of stops' about?
Old May 14, 2014, 7:03 pm

I'm not clear what you mean by this. What is SDC? And what is the 'different number of stops' about?
Sorry, I used wrong terminology. SDC = Same Day Confirmed which is a term used by Delta and maybe other airlines for the sort of equivalent to MoveUp at US Airways.

You are allowed to MoveUp only if the new itinerary has the same number of stops as the original itinerary. I was wondering whether due to the fact that the original itinerary is "direct", maybe it's considered "nonstop" for the purpose of MoveUp. And then maybe changing the first leg to an earlier flight (which will make it a one-stop itinerary) would not be allowed.
Old May 16, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AA miles flown count for preferred upgrade hierarchy or no?

I know in the wiki it still states (on the US website, too) and sorry if it's been covered somewhere:

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months.

Are we certain that at this point in time any miles flown on AA or their regionals still DO NOT count for hierarchy within Preferred level? I have quite a few premium class flights coming up on AA and I'm wondering if I might regret it when I need the next Preferred upgrade on US metal...
Old May 20, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Got quite the nice surprise today!

Bought Gold Trial last week, for flying home to DTW this weekend for memorial day and back.

Upgraded for my flights out SAN-PHX and PHX-DTW. Was under the impression that the upgrades started at T-72, not actually three days out. Still a couple open seats, so will be watching to see if they go out to silvers, but it was a nice surprise. So I'm 2/2 right now!
Old May 20, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Yeah, it is T-7, T-4, T-3, and T-2 days, with the crucial "spin" typically taking place about 0200 PHX time.

Anyhow, these sorts of upgrades are a cool part of the US Preferred system. Those of us who will regret its passing simply do not know better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.