Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

If no First Class seats are open when you check in at the airport, you'll have the option to be added to the standby list, but you must be the only person listed in your reservation.
If there are multiple Preferred members in one reservation, you must ask to have your reservation separated at the airport.
If you're traveling with a non-Preferred member, you will also need to have your reservation separated at the airport; however, your companion will no longer be eligible for a complimentary upgrade.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? click, "Edit Wikipost," and make the changes @:-)

Prior thread can be found here:
US Automatic Upgrades (Elite)
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014]

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by blueheronNC
Does checking in right at T-24 for OLCI and adding yourself to the upgrade list deprive you of upgrade sweeps that occur thereafter, or do upgrade sweeps cease at T-24? I checked in at T-24 on the dot and am #1 on the upgrade list, but now availability has opened up in F (although it's not showing on the seat map). Would someone who has delayed checking in get the benefit of an upcoming sweep over those who have committed themselves to the gate list already, or is this not a concern?
You're staring at the oft discussed and much scorned "loophole" in the automatic upgrade system in between T-24 and boarding time whereby it goes from an orderly system to a free-for-all before returning to an orderly system. As has been beaten to death many times before, if an F seat opens up once OLCI starts, the next elite to check in will be offered that seat. So, if it hasn't already been snatched up, and you go and repeat OLCI (just to "change seats"), it *should* offer you that seat for upgrade.

-OM
Old May 1, 2014, 3:30 pm

Does checking in right at T-24 for OLCI and adding yourself to the upgrade list deprive you of upgrade sweeps that occur thereafter, or do upgrade sweeps cease at T-24? I checked in at T-24 on the dot and am #1 on the upgrade list, but now availability has opened up in F (although it's not showing on the seat map). Would someone who has delayed checking in get the benefit of an upcoming sweep over those who have committed themselves to the gate list already, or is this not a concern?
P.S. I fly out of SFO often and will check in right at the T-24 mark as well if I haven't caught the upgrade ahead of time, as I've actually been battlefield upgraded once (and seen it happen at least once as well), so if my trigger finger is a bit slow in the future and I see someone already ahead of me after checking in at T-24, I'll know who to blame. :-P
Old May 3, 2014, 6:12 am

new US Gold member here and never had that situation before:

traveling with a party of four from FRA - PHL - LAS, booked via travel agent.
All others have no status. What´s the best way to score a possible upgrade for the PHL-LAS segment? For standby I know the reservation has to be split up at the Airport.

How about T-3 - will an upgrade apply automatically if available or does the reservation need to be seperated as well? I called US about this and they said they cannot seperate since it was a TA booking.

Thanks for your advice.
Old May 3, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Ottermatic
P.S. I fly out of SFO often and will check in right at the T-24 mark as well if I haven't caught the upgrade ahead of time, as I've actually been battlefield upgraded once (and seen it happen at least once as well), so if my trigger finger is a bit slow in the future and I see someone already ahead of me after checking in at T-24, I'll know who to blame. :-P
I've been beaten out at SFO completing check-in 1 minute and 12 seconds into T-24, so I guess I know who to blame. :-P
Old May 3, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014]

For those saying you get beat at T24, how do you know there wasn't a connecting flight that someone was on so they could check in first?
Old May 3, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
As to SFO, there aren't any connecting flights from US-US, so it isn't possible to check into a flight before T-24 departing there (at least AFAIK). It's also easy to check the flight status and upgrade list before T-24. If there's nobody on the list until a minute before OLCI opens, but someone appears ahead of you immediately thereafter, you know the other person either had slightly faster fingers/internet connection, or they were added simultaneously/slightly after you but have a higher status/higher amount of BIS miles to trump you.
Old May 6, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
Withholding Upgrades for FC BWI-PHX

I'm flying BWI-PHX with a final destination of LAX on Thursday evening and so far this year I've been about 100% on upgrades as a Chairman. Normally the system is pretty reliable and I get the upgrade email a week in advance. Thursday's flight has been an anomaly. Didn't get upgraded BWI-PHX at the typical week threshold and every time I called the chairman's desk they said the seats were being held and not released at the time. Even 72hrs before the flight when multiple FC seats were still available. They mentioned inventory control "holding" the seats to see if they would sell out. I call today and FC is now sold out which I guess means no elites got upgraded.

This has never happened to me in over 300 flights last 2 yrs on US Airways so I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else. So interestingly enough, I get upgraded on my PHX-LAX flight and LAX-CLT return, but not on the CLT-BWI flight yet.
Old May 6, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Yes, they are holding flights longer, at least to the 72 hour window, but sometimes 24 hours. I guess they want to make more money. If it is is working for them then I don't see them stopping. I have no idea what determines what flights they hold, but it seems to be happening more and more based off what I've seen and read on here.
Old May 6, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, American Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Yes, they are holding flights longer, at least to the 72 hour window, but sometimes 24 hours. I guess they want to make more money. If it is is working for them then I don't see them stopping. I have no idea what determines what flights they hold, but it seems to be happening more and more based off what I've seen and read on here.
I have been experiencing the same situation lately with not getting upgraded to the last minute or not being upgraded at all on flights I have historically had 100% upgrade success. I would not feel slighted if people were actually buying these seats but the people occupying the seats do not appear to be the buying first class types. I am Chairman, so it is not very often on these routes that I take to have any Chairman's traveling along with me. The most recent example was my flight from LHR to CLT. I added my name to the upgrade list months before the flight with my annual Chairman certificates. The day before the flight I still hadn't been upgraded even though they were showing 8 available seats. I finally called the Chairman desk and they said they were finally releasing the seats, although they were still not showing available online. She upgraded me on the spot. In the past, I would have been upgraded much sooner (5 days out or sooner). The revenue desk is definitely waiting much longer before releasing seats for the free upgrades.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:11 pm

I've been beaten out at SFO completing check-in 1 minute and 12 seconds into T-24, so I guess I know who to blame. :-P
If you're curious, PM me the date & flight number, and I can let you know if it was me. ;-)

-OM
Old May 7, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Can anyone tell me if US upgrades on flights from PHX to Mexico (specifically Guadalajara)? If not, can you use CP certs? Thanks.
Old May 7, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Can anyone tell me if US upgrades on flights from PHX to Mexico (specifically Guadalajara)? If not, can you use CP certs? Thanks.
They upgrade in all of their flights to Mexico.
Old May 9, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: AA LT GLD, AS 75K, Marriott Titanium
AA EXP here, and I just received an email notification that I was upgraded to F on a US flight tomorrow. I haven't heard anything of reciprocal upgrades yet...was I upgraded to make room in Y?
Old May 9, 2014, 4:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FightOnFlyer
AA EXP here, and I just received an email notification that I was upgraded to F on a US flight tomorrow. I haven't heard anything of reciprocal upgrades yet...was I upgraded to make room in Y?
Maybe they are testing it out before they announce and launch.

Naaaaaaa, this is US -- what was I thinking?!
Old May 10, 2014, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Maybe they are testing it out before they announce and launch.

Naaaaaaa, this is US -- what was I thinking?!
maybe JUST maybe they moved some of the AA IT people over to US..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.