29 Miles short of Chairmans

Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium
Unhappy 29 Miles short of Chairmans

Due to some pretty bad planning on my part, I am going to end the year 29 miles of Chairmans...29!

What are the chances of them giving me CP rather than making me buy up?

If I do need to buy up, do I need to do it by the end of the year or is there a grace period into the early part of next year? I have already purchased my club membership for the year, so that is not an option, and I am going to be out of the country on vacation from 12/20 so very little chance of a last minute mileage run.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I called US this morning to ask about the Buy Up deadline and the rep confirmed that I could Buy Up after the new year. She said I actually had until 2/28/2014, but with the US/AA merger announcement coming on 1/7/2014 I would buy up before then just to be safe.

Since you're so close, maybe you could call and politely ask to be bumped up to CP.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
There have been many reports here on FT that if you're within say 500 miles, US will round you up. Call and ask and make sure you get the name of the person who says "yes."
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No way would I rely on what someone on the phone says will happen. If it turns out to be wrong or different, you will be SOL.

I would call and ask if US will grant the 29 mile variance. If not, I would buy up now.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
I also think you'll be able to get them to round you up as a courtesy. I'd recommend sending an email with the question, that way the (hopefully positive) response you get is in writing.

Another thing to consider - did you have any changed flights within the last six months due to weather or other delays? If so, and if requesting original routing credit would work in your favor, you could always just do that.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Since AA has already told its elites "no soft landings this year" I would not expect US to be overly generous in this regard.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:58 am
Suspended

29 miles is not a soft landing. They will round up, but I would call. Play agent roulette if you have to, someone will find a manager to do it. But I'd wait until February honestly. Worst case you can buy up then.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by dcpatti
Since AA has already told its elites "no soft landings this year" I would not expect US to be overly generous in this regard.
But US bought AA and US is now in charge, so AA's policies may not be relevant to the OP.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Platinum, Packer Owner
So be a man (or woman) about it. Take action to be safe, such as buy or renew a Club pass.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by NJTraveler
So be a man (or woman) about it. Take action to be safe, such as buy or renew a Club pass.
Which would be great, except the poster asking the question specifically noted they already have this year.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by masonuc
29 miles is not a soft landing. They will round up, but I would call. Play agent roulette if you have to, someone will find a manager to do it. But I'd wait until February honestly. Worst case you can buy up then.
Originally Posted by tommyleo
But US bought AA and US is now in charge, so AA's policies may not be relevant to the OP.
Just saying, don't use prior years' status uplifts, gifts, treats or what-not as any indication that they're going to keep doing things that way. Last year I think it would have been almost expected that the OP would be given CP despite being 29 miles short (and personally I think giving him/her CP is the right thing to do). We honestly have not seen enough of the "New AA" to say if they're going to be more like the old US or the old AA. In light of the larger of the two companies already warning its elites "things aren't going to be the same as they used to be," I would be more willing to open up my wallet to secure the status than in years past. Doesn't mean it's money well spent-- why spend it if you end up getting it for free anyway--- just means i'm incredibly suspicious about how the combined airlines are going to be doing things from here on out.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:09 pm
Suspended

AA's policies are about as relevant as Qatar's and Singapore Air. AA management is only marginally in control of their airline for the next 12 months, and has zero influence or control over US.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Could you reroute your vacation travel via a different connection point to earn extra miles? There might well be 29 miles difference between two options, and you could do it free via MoveUp the day of travel. And of course, if there's any change or cancellation, you can look for higher mileage options.

If it doesn't work out, you'd still have until 1/7 to buy up.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dtremit
Could you reroute your vacation travel via a different connection point to earn extra miles? There might well be 29 miles difference between two options, and you could do it free via MoveUp the day of travel. And of course, if there's any change or cancellation, you can look for higher mileage options.

If it doesn't work out, you'd still have until 1/7 to buy up.
The vacation trip is a *A trip to New Zealand booked with miles (in F ), so no chance of a re-route...nice idea though!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: US Gold & AA Lifetime Gold
I am 46 miles short of gold myself. Do CSR people even have the ability to just add eqm to someone's account?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.