Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Long Telephone Call Wait / Hold Times
(This thread to be closed October 17, 2015)

See Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (2015 - consolidated)

and

"Enhanced" IVR / Customer Service Phone Issues incl EXP Desk (May 2015-) (consol.)

AA / US call center's are experiencing very long call wait / hold times. You may be offered a time they will call back. This is true regardless of which number is called. It may be due to merger-related infrastructure and Sabre training issues.

AA has an Executive Platinum desk with its own number and EP dedicated agents.

AAdvantage Platinum and Gold have prioritized numbers that, along with other American Airlines Customer Service calls, go to a pool.

The VR / voice regignition system is not very good. Using the international ICAO / NATO phonetic alphabet often helps get through VR, as does the device of avoiding the menu by repeating "AGENT" at the prompts.

ICAO / NATO phonetic alphabet
Print Wikipost

Loooong US call center hold times

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Loooong US call center hold times

First, I realize that the east coast has had bad weather for days. Second, I'm not calling about anything critical -- I'm not stranded at any airport, sitting on a plane, etc.

BUT, I've been trying to book a reservation using the companion cert for two days now. But I end up on hold for an hour, and then ultimately have to leave before anybody answers my call. (2 days ago, I couldn't even get to the hold queue, so I guess this is an improvement!)

How does US get away with this? If it was United, there would (and has been) an uproar!

I definitely understand that weather causes issues, but when customers cannot contact you for several days in a row, there is a real problem. I've tried saying 'domestic' and 'international' with the same result. Any tricks out there for a non-status DM member?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:11 am

Programs: None
Not really. If you had status, the situation might be better on the elite lines but it sounds like you're calling the regular res line like 90 of those needing too talk to someone.

If you're near an airport going out to the counter there might be quicker.

Jim
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by hobo13
How does US get away with this? If it was United, there would (and has been) an uproar!
Honestly they have all had an uproar, and they have all "gotten away with it." Jetblue had a major service meltdown during a NE snowstorm a few years ago over either Thanksgiving or Christmas; CO at one point had a recording on that they weren't accepting any more calls (US might have as well), hold times for AA general members go into the hours at least once a year during tornado season, you get the pattern that's emerging here. Customers can scream and shout all they want. Since it's only a couple times a year, the airlines are not going to hire more call center workers and even if you go into forced overtime (I think US did this two or three times last year) there's only so many phones and chairs in the call centers. I think we all need to adjust our expectations of service whenever there is a major weather event or other incident. I mean, my local grocery store gets away with running out of damn near everything any time the weatherman starts shouting about snow, and I just expect that if I'm going to the shops the night before it's meant to snow, the lines will be long and the selections will be thin. When there's finite resources and radically increased demand, this is the inevitable result.

Last edited by dcpatti; Dec 11, 2013 at 10:10 am
Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Two Hour Wait Time To Speak With An Agent

I simply want to change seats for a USAirways flight Sunday for tickets bought on AA.com. USAirways.com will not allow the change due to a web site issue nor will AA.com.

My preferred seats are available. AA Platinum desk can't help and says to call US.

US hold time is TWO HOURS. Crazy !!!!

This is customer service?

Even a supervisor @ AA can't get a hold of someone at US without having to wait two hours. They said they have to discontinue the conversation and can't help. Meaning their time is evidently more valuable than mine.

What is going on here? I would understand if there were irregular operations today but there is not.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Even the elite lines have had very long wait times sometimes lately--so long that we're given the option of being called back by US.

Enhancement, not.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Even the elite lines have had very long wait times sometimes lately--so long that we're given the option of being called back by US.

Enhancement, not.
Actually, only one of my last say ten calls didn't result in a "we are very busy....but we wil call you back in....." Type of call. And recently my call backs have been from US legacy employees who are not well trained in AA protocol.

I flew Delta last week LGA JAX and called their regular reservations line. The agent picked rift up and was very helpful in my purchasing up to F. I have no status with DL presently.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
I wonder if this has something to do with the transition to AA. These folks need to be trained on SABRE, so agent need to be taken off the phones. Also, I wonder if some of the US call centers have already become AA since the flight will become AA in the next few weeks.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriot Platinum
US Preferred Desk Phone Wait Time

So lately when calling the "gold" preferred desk at US/American I have had two issues. First the automated voice "recognition" system can almost NEVER get my FF# correct. I guess my neutral American accent has it stumped. Once I get through this nightmare I routinely am subjected to a 45-1:30 hour delay.

1. Is AA looking at refining the voice system? For instance part of my number is A8. They sound very similar and routinely get mixed up.

2. Most importantly is anybody else waiting this long to speak to somebody? Or am I being routed somewhere else?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
use phonetics for letters e.g. "A" = "ALPHA"
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by northernlights1
So lately when calling the "gold" preferred desk at US/American I have had two issues. First the automated voice "recognition" system can almost NEVER get my FF# correct. I guess my neutral American accent has it stumped. Once I get through this nightmare I routinely am subjected to a 45-1:30 hour delay.

1. Is AA looking at refining the voice system? For instance part of my number is A8. They sound very similar and routinely get mixed up.

2. Most importantly is anybody else waiting this long to speak to somebody? Or am I being routed somewhere else?
First, I believe the two programs have been merged. When calling AA only EXP have a separate "desk" when calling in. Everyone else end up with the same group with their calls being prioritized by status. Plats go before Golds that go before everyone else. Any time there is a hiccup in travel plans the call time skyrockets. If you are calling about same-day travel issues, then calling the OSO number might get you a live body quicker.

As for the VIR, using phonetics will help solve the confusion. Also, use your cell phone (if you have one), add it to your profile, and make sure it's not associated with any other AA account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.