Should I Buy Up to US Chairman's or Platinum?

Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by gruss
I also found the increased baggage allowance worthwhile for a couple trips to the west coast each year to visit family, and have used the *G status to score E+ seats on UA several times (although that won't be a factor much longer).
We usually check 4-5 bags on our yearly trip home over Xmas and the free bag allowance is worth my buy up fee right there...

I think this question was answered in this thread, but just to confirm...the miles/segments accrued during the "calendar year" count towards status but you still can Buy Up until the end of the "program year" in Feb correct?

I'm just a few segments short of plat and don't know if the fight home yesterday will post before the end of December. It looks like I can still buy up those last two segments I need next week, right?

-thanks
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Sakonnetview
It looks like I can still buy up those last two segments I need next week, right?
That's correct.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Very few people buy up on US because it's not worth it. Offer EXP for $4k and everybody and their brother would sign up, as EXP offers significantly superior benefits on a significantly superior airline, most notably one that actually has service in first class.

The days of the buy up programs are done and done.

And its not "condescension." AA fliers are rightfully upset because it's basically the most premium domestic carrier merging with the least premium. US domestic first is a first class seat with as much service and free food as JetBlue, and its excuse for a long-haul J is a solid seat with service and meals akin to premium economy. Like Mercedes merging with Kia, although that's not a good example, because Kia is known for a reliable product.

Fortunately, Parker so far is taking steps to make US like AA, and not the other way around. For all it's major network and labor deficiencies, AA has been the darling of business travelers and has the major corporate contracts to back that up. Parker won't mess with that.
Bah Humbug!

And agree totally with what other responses have been to this post....especially dml105 had to say:
Is this looking down their noses what US elites need to learn to expect from AA fliers?
Believe me, there are plenty of US flyers who were happy with US Airways just the way it was.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:43 am

Holy crap, having flown both US and AA very recently, I don't even know how people spout that nonsense - domestically at least. Take the logos down and it'd be hard to tell which airline you're even on. The only differentiator I'm honestly looking forward to on AA is MCE. I get it, meals on shorter flights and IFE. I generally get a better meal on the ground and I have this thing called a tablet for IFE. Maybe it's my generation, but I want to minimize the hassle at the airport, get a comfortable seat, and get where I'm going on time. Both airlines work just fine for that if you're in F, and a little better on AA MCE in Y.

The whole "actual service" bit makes me laugh a little bit harder, considering the best domestic F service I've had all year has been on YX-operated USX flights.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
If only there was a different forum to discuss the actual merger in and compare product and speculate on changes... Oh, wait..

I made Gold with actual BIS miles this year; probably going to buy back up to Chairman for 2014. The upgrade ratio (even with lower BIS) and the Envoy certs make it worth it to me. And Emerald status in OneWorld will be nice on the trip I'm probably doing to Australia probably on Qantas. I'm assuming no benefits in 2014 on AA beyond club access with US Club card and those that Emerald status would bring.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by fordan
If only there was a different forum to discuss the actual merger in and compare product and speculate on changes... Oh, wait..

I made Gold with actual BIS miles this year; probably going to buy back up to Chairman for 2014. The upgrade ratio (even with lower BIS) and the Envoy certs make it worth it to me. And Emerald status in OneWorld will be nice on the trip I'm probably doing to Australia probably on Qantas. I'm assuming no benefits in 2014 on AA beyond club access with US Club card and those that Emerald status would bring.
That's what, $1500 to jump two tiers? I'd do it if I were Gold, given that most of my miles are on TCON routes that I'd never upgrade on otherwise. I'm an SP, though, and I don't think it'd be worth buying up to PP for me - given I'm 10k miles short and it's ~500 to get to Gold.

I'm just hoping that in 2014, US Gold somehow gets AA MCE seats for free. Are AA MCE part of the "preferred seats" benefit that OW Sapphire currently receive? EDIT: Duh, googled, MCE are a OW sapphire benefit.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by Sakonnetview
We usually check 4-5 bags on our yearly trip home over Xmas and the free bag allowance is worth my buy up fee right there...

I think this question was answered in this thread, but just to confirm...the miles/segments accrued during the "calendar year" count towards status but you still can Buy Up until the end of the "program year" in Feb correct?

I'm just a few segments short of plat and don't know if the fight home yesterday will post before the end of December. It looks like I can still buy up those last two segments I need next week, right?

-thanks
It doesn't matter when it posts. It matters when you flew-- you will get any segments counted that you flew in 2013.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I just bought up to CP for the first time. 92,000 PQMs last year and a flight to portland next monday...Too bad i missed it on miles. I'm really nervous that AA will only match to EXP based on CY13 PQMs, not 2014 status level....

We shall see. Either way it should be worth it for the envoy certs.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by scottsam66
It doesn't matter when it posts. It matters when you flew-- you will get any segments counted that you flew in 2013.
Yes, I'm just a few short and didn't want to pay any more than needed...
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Very few people buy up on US because it's not worth it....AA fliers are rightfully upset because it's basically the most premium domestic carrier merging with the least premium. US domestic first is a first class seat with as much service and free food as JetBlue, and its excuse for a long-haul J is a solid seat with service and meals akin to premium economy. Like Mercedes merging with Kia, although that's not a good example, because Kia is known for a reliable product.....
It would be nice if you had a reference for those claims. The "Envoy" solid seat/meals akin to old AA premium economy claim confirms that you likely have never flown on a US 332 or 333 internationally. IMO, it serves no purpose to continuously trash US Airways here and elsewhere. The merger is done and the new AA will be managed by a team that knows how to make a profit, rather than one trying to replicate a product that died in the 1990s. What we need on this board is positive thinking about how the new AA (whatever it becomes) will enhance our benefits as FFs - with, or without 120" Lie Flats, in-flight showers and 6 course meals. If I wanted a flying palace, I'd save my AA miles and fly on QR. I want AA to get me from A to B in a comfort level which does not compromise a reasonable F/J price (the lower the better) and which produces industry standard FF miles - or better.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Holy crap, having flown both US and AA very recently, I don't even know how people spout that nonsense - domestically at least. Take the logos down and it'd be hard to tell which airline you're even on. The only differentiator I'm honestly looking forward to on AA is MCE. I get it, meals on shorter flights and IFE. I generally get a better meal on the ground and I have this thing called a tablet for IFE. Maybe it's my generation, but I want to minimize the hassle at the airport, get a comfortable seat, and get where I'm going on time. Both airlines work just fine for that if you're in F, and a little better on AA MCE in Y.

The whole "actual service" bit makes me laugh a little bit harder, considering the best domestic F service I've had all year has been on YX-operated USX flights.
I get it now! The condescending AA community are like the old guard ...

Just like in business those who don't keep up with modern technology and efficiencies are a dying breed whose last gasps may be loud yet futile.

Ah well if AA was so invincible, it wouldn't be the new US (in AA clothing).
Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: WFBF
Just bought up to CP (was Platinum), as belated Christmas gift to self.

Not that there's a ton of difference between Plat and CP, but seemed the safest thing to do coming into merger, and certs are nice since I likely have more Europe in my 2014 than previously, so yay more upgrades on that.

Also, obviously, twirling my moustache and cackling about all the undeserved upgrades I'll steal from AA fliers.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
Just bought up to CP (was Platinum), as belated Christmas gift to self.

Not that there's a ton of difference between Plat and CP, but seemed the safest thing to do coming into merger, and certs are nice since I likely have more Europe in my 2014 than previously, so yay more upgrades on that.

Also, obviously, twirling my moustache and cackling about all the undeserved upgrades I'll steal from AA fliers.
+1 on that! I upgraded to CP as well. Hoping on stealing many upgrades too!! (Kinda like all the non-BIS shenanigans to manufacture miles AA fliers use to get status...but those are legit!) yeah right on!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
^
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:52 am

Can you still get AA status without BIS miles? Thought they closed that loophole, although many folks churned to get million miler status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.