Buy up?

Old Dec 9, 13, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat
Buy up?

Hello!

I have been desperately looking for cheap flights to get my last 678 miles needed to ensure my gold status. I then thought just buying up would be just as cost-effective. As of now, I have 44k+ mile, but will have 49k+ as of Dec. 14th. I got a quote for buying up today, and the dollar value was less than the stated number needed for 5,000-9,999. Do they quote on a percentage of the miles needed? So if I only need like 678 miles, it will be less than the $249 listed on the site for 1-1,999? If so, perfect, I'll just buy up on Dec. 16th.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Dec 9, 13, 11:57 am

Programs: US Chairman
I believe it is a flat rate, so if you only need a single mile it still costs $249
Old Dec 9, 13, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TwoDecks View Post
I believe it is a flat rate, so if you only need a single mile it still costs $249
Weird. When I submitted now it only said $538, instead of the $579. Maybe it was before the tax that is included in the original listing.
Old Dec 9, 13, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by higgies View Post
Weird. When I submitted now it only said $538, instead of the $579. Maybe it was before the tax that is included in the original listing.
It's presented without taxes & fees until you actually click through to purchase.
Old Dec 10, 13, 7:48 am
Original Poster

What do you think my odds are for a soft landing? Especially given the merger? I've been Gold for 3 years, and Silver for many before that. Think they'll grant me gold for being so close? =)
Old Dec 10, 13, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by higgies View Post
What do you think my odds are for a soft landing? Especially given the merger? I've been Gold for 3 years, and Silver for many before that. Think they'll grant me gold for being so close? =)
Well it is the season for giving,
Old Dec 10, 13, 11:51 pm

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
Originally Posted by basejump View Post
Well it is the season for giving,
I have heard of people calling the Gold line and US Air being lenient; it doesn't hurt to ask!
Old Dec 31, 13, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Little Update - I called the line this morning to see if they would give it to me, and I played dumb... the agent didn't do anything for me today, but she thought since I was so close (678 miles) they would probably give it to me in their sweep. She said the sweep should occur in a couple of weeks. If I don't hear anything I should call back, and they'll look at it then. So I kind of got a brush-off, but a better feeling.
Old Jan 2, 14, 1:30 pm

Programs: American Gold; SW A list; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Smile a little New Year kindness!

As of Dec. 31, I was 12 miles short of next status; called preferred line and given an email address. Sent short email explaining.

This is what is funny. 90 minutes later, I got a form email saying nothing could be done and I should go ahead and buy up if I wanted the retained status. But 30 minutes after that, another email--signed by the same customer service rep--said upon further consideration, I would be given! the 12 miles and my status is now good to March 2015. I was very pleased that I did not read my emails until the second one had come.... Thanks so much, US Airways!
Old Jan 3, 14, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
As of Dec. 31, I was 12 miles short of next status; called preferred line and given an email address. Sent short email explaining.

This is what is funny. 90 minutes later, I got a form email saying nothing could be done and I should go ahead and buy up if I wanted the retained status. But 30 minutes after that, another email--signed by the same customer service rep--said upon further consideration, I would be given! the 12 miles and my status is now good to March 2015. I was very pleased that I did not read my emails until the second one had come.... Thanks so much, US Airways!
Would you mind pm'ing me that email address you used?
Old Jan 15, 14, 7:53 am
Original Poster

I emailed customer service and presented my case. I received an email back within 2 days that stated they have granted me a one-time exception and have extended my status for this program year. Yay!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: