Wiki Posts
Search

Club access and American Express

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (3 Million Mile Club), Global Entry
Club access and American Express

Just checked into the club in PHX. Front desk said they were notified this morning that the contract with AMAX was not being renewed in March and that card holders would no longer have free access as of that date. Said it was related to the merger. They have been telling everyone who comes in the door.

Last edited by mastertrust; Dec 4, 2013 at 8:58 am
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:04 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
That's surprising since both US and AA allow AMEX Plat/Cent club access. Why would it be related to the merger unless AMEX and AA/US couldn't negotiate something together?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Yup, there is a thread in the Amex forum about this as well. Here is the link to The Points Guy. Looks like Citi is going for the exclusive. http://thepointsguy.com/2013/12/amex...r-lga-and-sfo/
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...22-2014-a.html

Pretty decent thread over on the AA forum.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: US Chairman
My email notice from Amex also states they're giving us a one time $500 credit to be used at aa or usair to make up for the inconvenience. Reason I have platinum is club access - lose aa and usair, really only have delta - not worth it
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
However, there is a post over at the AA forum saying AMEX Corporate Platinum card holders will retain access for the time being.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (3 Million Mile Club), Global Entry
Originally Posted by TwoDecks
My email notice from Amex also states they're giving us a one time $500 credit to be used at aa or usair to make up for the inconvenience. Reason I have platinum is club access - lose aa and usair, really only have delta - not worth it
Heres the text of the email- interesting that the club staff this morning was encouraging card holders to reach out to Amex

Changes to your Platinum Card.

We are writing to give you advance notice of changes to your travel benefits and to remind you about other valuable features of your Platinum Card.

As of March 22, 2014, Platinum Card Members will no longer receive complimentary access to American Airlines® Admirals Club lounges and US Airways® Club locations.

Special Offer: Up to $500 in Statement Credits

We recognize the inconvenience this may cause you as someone who travels frequently, so we have included you in a special offer. You will receive up to $500 in statement credits toward American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees charged to your Card from March 22, 2014 to December 31, 2014.1 You can use these credits toward:

• Membership fees in the Admirals Club program and US Airways Club
• One-day passes to Admirals Club lounges and US Airways Clubs
• Other American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees like baggage fees or flight change fees

There's no enrollment required, and purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the Card account are eligible for the promotion. These statement credits are in addition to the $200 Airline Fee Credit2 benefit already included in your Membership.*

*American Express relies on accurate airline transaction data to identify incidental fee purchases. If you do not see a credit for a qualifying incidental purchase on your enrolled Card after 4 weeks, simply call the number on the back of your Card. See terms & conditions for more details.

You will continue to have access to a large network of airport lounges, including complimentary access to:

• Delta Sky Clubs®3
• Priority Pass™ Select4 membership for entry to more than 600 participating airport lounges worldwide
• Airspace Lounges™5 in New York (JFK), Cleveland, and Baltimore
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:50 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by TwoDecks

The AA thread has examples of people getting the same email, but some with just a $200 credit offer.....
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:28 am

Programs: US, CO, Marriott
US _Air dropping PLT Amex?

Checked into club this am and was informed after March 1 that the club will no longer accept Amex cards. Only US Air club cards.

Some special is also coming. I just dropped the US Air card this year, since it didn't make sense with the Amex, now what do you do?

Merger downgrades starting?

z
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA (ExPlat).DL,UA Hertz (Pres Circle); Avis (First), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Gold)
Actually, AA/US has signed an exclusive with Citibank - their Citibank MasterCard World Elite card will be the only card with included Admirals Club entrance - I assume that after the merger, the combined clubs will take the Admirals Club name since that's been around since 1939 or so. . . .
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by jeffhacker
Actually, AA/US has signed an exclusive with Citibank - their Citibank MasterCard World Elite card will be the only card with included Admirals Club entrance - I assume that after the merger, the combined clubs will take the Admirals Club name since that's been around since 1939 or so. . . .
Not sure as a Centurion cardholder and AA Plat how it's going to all work out but Citi just got more business from me. I upgraded my AA Visa to the M/C that includes lounge access. Immediate out of pocket $300 but save $'s on currency and I get Admirals Club access. Chase also wins as I also upgraded my UA Explorer to Club so out of pocket 1st year $250 but get lounge access and now 2 bags which I loose as *G with US on UA.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What's the procedure for getting a one day pass to a (single) US Airways Club? Can I pay with AmEx at the door? Is this OK if I'm departing from that airport (and TSA security allows me to get to the door of the lounge) but not on US?

I'll have a DL flight departing from BDL. I know (unless there were changes within the last year) that the terminal is all connected airside, in fact with a unified TSA security checkpoint) even though the DL gates are in another wing/concourse.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Yes you can pay $50 (I think that is the on-going day rate) with a credit card at the door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.