Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fewest people on a flight?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Choice Plat; US Airways CP
Last year 4th of July (evening flight) LAS-PHX (A320)... 5 PAX... Myself in FC and the other 4 in coach

Last week on T-Day... ONT to PHX (A319)... 12 PAX... Myself in FC and the remainder in coach
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
Fewest people on a flight?

This was probably 10-12 years ago, when I was new to traveling.

Flying between New Haven, CT and Philly. I don't recall if I was flying back on Wednesday or Thursday. At the time, US had 5-6 flights a day (let's say 9, 11, 2, 4, 6). I initially booked the last 6pm flight. I finish my job early and called to get on the 2pm flight with no problem. On the way to the airport, I get an automated call that the flight was canceled but I was rebooked on the 4pm flight. All good. I get some lunch, fart around and off to the airport.

Again received a call saying the 4pm flight was canceled too. No big loss since I was originally scheduled to go home at 6pm, but then I got another call...

Arriving the next morning, at ask what happened with the other flights. Response: "there were no passengers to fly".

The 9am left with just me and another passenger. Pretty sad that just 2 passengers booked(or decided to travel) over 4 flights.

For anyone that ever flew into New Haven, I'm sure it's not surprising but still strikes me as funny.

PS don't remember the aircraft but it was either Turboprop or RJ, so certainly not as bad proportionally as others have posted
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Jim, can you explain this one? Why would US have an apparently "extra" aircraft in CUN?
I'm not sure it was an extra plane just sitting in CUN waiting to be needed. The earlier of the two flights may have been delayed, either in CUN or somewhere prior to the CUN segment, is one possibility. Another possibility is that one of the planes may have had a mechanical the day before that took overnight to fix, although that would normally mean an extra flight on the day mentioned.

Jim
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Me, my wife and infant son on a regional turboprop flight MRY-LAX on 12/31/2003
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
A few days after 9/11 I flew SFO to JFK. There were 4-5 people on the flight. We each had a stewardess sit next to us for the whole flight to keep us calm/happy. It was a tough day - but we made it through.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 4:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Last week I flew BKK-SGN on TG with 18 passengers onboard a 772
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: Diamond Club, Krisflyer, BA Exec
A measly 7 of us on Alitalia A321 from MXP to AMS one very early morning.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta Gold, American Gold, Priority Club Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, National Exec Elite
Just myself and the two pilots GRR-YYZ in a Beech 1900D. No wonder they dropped the route.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
5 on a MD80 of LX (Crossair) GVA-ZRH...

We all had to sit in the first two rows to give a counterweight to the engines at the end of the fuselage .
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: DL, AA
Twice I was the only passenger, once a Braniff 727 from Denver to Colorado Springs and another time on a United Express Jetstream 31 - from Crescent City to Eureka. In 1989 we had less than 30 passengers on a much delayed Qantas 747 flight from LAX-AKL.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
A few days after 9/11 I flew SFO to JFK. There were 4-5 people on the flight. We each had a stewardess sit next to us for the whole flight to keep us calm/happy. It was a tough day - but we made it through.
Ironically, that was probably the safest day to travel in the history of commercial aviation.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Ironically, that was probably the safest day to travel in the history of commercial aviation.
Agreed. I wasn't worried about anything happening. It was just all so sad, especially flying to NYC (and looking out the windows and seeing nothing where the twin towers used to be).
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Diamond
I had a flight from CUN to MSP that had six people on board.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by rickCT01
back in 1990 or '91 I was flying from PHL to Worcester, MA back when they had service there. More than once I was the ONLY passenger on the plane arriving at 11 pm. They were never able to make that airport profitable, too bad.
Kind of off-topic but its nice to see commercial service at Worcester again, Jetblue no less.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA MileagePlus
I think mine was also around 11-12. It was definitely a Southwest flight, but I don't remember the routing. It's been a while!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.