FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Switching seats in FC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1523945-switching-seats-fc.html)

Plato1 Nov 22, 13 1:11 pm

I never really thought about it even though I have a routine and a seat I prefer.
I was asked to switch on a midnite flight that is 3 hrs long so a wife and husband could sit together.
I prefer the bulkhead and was asked to switch to the seat behind. Fine, but I said I need to do this quickly as I like to be asleep before the door closes( I get claustrophobic when i hear the door close and have brought the aircraft back to the jetway in the past)
She responds " well I guess you Will have to be quick as its quite busy"
Of course that set my anxiety higher. When I go to put my bag under the seat in front of me her husbands shoes are there.
I would have never gotten the FA involved but now I was beyond anxious . He happily asked the man to move his shoes.
I was trying to calm down but just thinking about this was ridiculous.
Why do you need to sit next to your husband on a short flight that you are going to sleep on????

I have never asked even with my anxiety , we book our seats together .
If we can't sit together we can't sit together.

I got to sit next to a hall of famer that I did not recognize ( until the FA told me who he was) and was quite uppity. I said one sentence and got a grunt from him.
What a lovely flight.

After this I will say no.
The woman had such a tone I should have said I changed my mind, but I thought that might give me bad mojo.

Just writing this brought back all the anxiety that night.

McSam18 Nov 22, 13 1:17 pm

The only time you'd ever here me say no is when I'm sitting next to a travel partner of mine (either coworker, SO, or family)

Emirates202 Nov 22, 13 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by bkafrick (Post 21830962)
I'm going to take the other side of this debate.

I think its annoying when people ask me to switch seats. Its a total guilt trip. "Would you minddddd if we swapped seats so I could sit next to my wife/girlfriend/cousin/dog/tuba?"

Its a short flight. You can't sit apart for a few hours?

I'd rather not be the d-bag who says "no" - cause honestly, I like my seat, and I picked my seat purposely. But I really dont want to change.

Anyway... thats my two cents.

Earlier this year I was flying GRU-JFK on DL in BE, and before the door closed a ground personnel came over to me and asked if I would mind switching with a pregnant woman who had a middle isle (DL new BE is 1-2-1 config). I was in 3A, which is closer to the window, opposed to the even row window seats which have the table between the window and you. I prefer this type of seat as it's more private, and would usually say no if I asked to switch, but I did feel bad as the woman was pregnant and decided to move. I do think it's easier to say no when ground crew or FA asks for the person rather then when the person asks themselves IMO.

seal41 Nov 22, 13 2:21 pm

I frequently fly alone and am not that picky on where I sit so if people ask me to move seats I do. I have asked before if people were willing to trade on the rare occasions that my husband has flown with me. We are always on different PNRs since he is in the military and normally only have a few segments of a trip together. We always get separated since I have a higher status than him and we do not have the same last name. I only see him a few times a year so I do like to sit next to him when we fly.

bkafrick Nov 22, 13 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Emirates202 (Post 21834954)
I do think it's easier to say no when ground crew or FA asks for the person rather then when the person asks themselves IMO.

Agreed. I'm totally more likely to do it this way, because I assume the FA is making a "rational" decision, and not something on a whim.

Pregnancy, kids, 80-year old grandmother, sob story, fine.
But, "i want to sit next to my girlfriend" on a 60-minute flight, get real and go away.

lizs Nov 22, 13 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by bkafrick (Post 21835190)
Agreed. I'm totally more likely to do it this way, because I assume the FA is making a "rational" decision, and not something on a whim.

Pregnancy, kids, 80-year old grandmother, sob story, fine.
But, "i want to sit next to my girlfriend" on a 60-minute flight, get real and go away.

I agree it's kind of silly at that point, but it's also silly for someone to say no to switching an F seat since its just a 60 minute flight.

Coach is a different story though...I admit when in coach in a "regular" seat I always wear my headphones and scrunch down into my seat whenever the seat switchers come on. I feel like in F you have a good seat no matter what. The couple who needs to switch for a 2 hour flight and expect me to give up my aisle for a middle in row 32 annoy me. It's hard to say no without looking rude and they're counting on that

BadgerBoi Nov 22, 13 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by lizs (Post 21835293)
I agree it's kind of silly at that point, but it's also silly for someone to say no to switching an F seat since its just a 60 minute flight.

Not at all. You've settled down in your seat and a random stranger comes along whining that they want to sit there because they were separated from their beloved at upgrade. Sorry, I'm comfy now, I've started whatever rituals I have when I fly, I'm not packing then moving then repacking for you. (I don't mean "you" personally", of course).

off2rome Nov 22, 13 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 21835431)
Not at all. You've settled down in your seat and a random stranger comes along whining that they want to sit there because they were separated from their beloved at upgrade. Sorry, I'm comfy now, I've started whatever rituals I have when I fly, I'm not packing then moving then repacking for you. (I don't mean "you" personally", of course).

Very selfish and sad you have that attitude

puddinhead Nov 22, 13 3:41 pm

My wife and I book aisle seats in the same row. We often get asked to move so we can sit next to each other - which we are. We both like the aisle seat if we need to really be close we can always break the changing table in the bathroom.

I never just say no. I reply "let me think about it (2 second pause), no."

aztimm Nov 22, 13 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by off2rome (Post 21835574)

But isn't it selfish for you to ask in the first place? :confused:
(I mean, aren't you asking someone for a favor)

Generally, when asked nicely, I'll switch seats. As others shared, unless traveling with someone, or perhaps the rare instance where I actually bought F (yes I have a few times) :eek:

And when traveling with someone, I have asked a few times, and usually gotten a positive reaction.

A few times, I've sat beside half of a couple and found out that there are 2 together and I've volunteered to move so they could sit together.

BadgerBoi Nov 22, 13 3:54 pm

Thanks for the free personality analysis; let me tell you how much that opinion matters to me.

<crickets>

Their comforts and desires trump mine? And who exactly is selfish?

You have no way of knowing why someone doesn't wish to move to accommodate your lack of planning, and the person you are trying to displace is under no obligation to explain to you. If I'm requested to move and don't wish to, I'll give a polite but firm refusal and that should be the end of it.

I might add, several years ago I flew with my mother three days after my father's funeral. We were separated on the flight and didn't go to the bother of rearranging people, much as we would have liked to have been seated together. IMHO that would have been a pretty compelling reason.

brobab Nov 22, 13 5:08 pm

Feel free to ask me, but I do have some criteria by which I will say no:
1) you want me to take a bulkhead
2) I am already sitting next to my travel partner
3) Based on the route, I have specifically chosen my window seat, (i.e. flying to LAS over the Grand Canyon, Flying into LGA, flying over Cape Canaveral, etc.)
4) I have not eaten all day and I really care about my meal choice

Often1 Nov 22, 13 5:44 pm

This is a thread about two topics:

1. OP asked whether it's OK to ask.
2. Others respond with why they say "yes" or "no".

The fact is that it's fine to ask and it's fine to say "yes" or "no". And you don't need a reason to say "no".

puddinhead Nov 22, 13 6:10 pm

That comment sounds self-centered.

IBTL

AZ Travels the World Nov 23, 13 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 21836140)
The fact is that it's fine to ask and it's fine to say "yes" or "no". And you don't need a reason to say "no".

And there you have it. :)