Switching seats in FC

Old Nov 22, 13, 5:30 am

Programs: Hhonors Silver, Aadvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by rocket2247 View Post
My wife and I are on a flight tomorrow, both in FC(2d and 4d). Is it inappropriate to ask once on the plane if someone would switch so that we can sit next to each other? I'd like to ask, but if its frowned upon, I won't do it. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.
I was asked on a flight in October. I said sure. I was already sitting away from my wife as she does not like to sit in the first row. But, I did ask the guy how long he had been married. He was perplexed. Then, I said I have been married to my wife for 49 years. I do not need to sit next to her on a 1 1/2 hour flight.
Old Nov 22, 13, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by clemsonfn View Post
Not inappropriate at all IMO. I've seen it done all the time.

I actually saw a married couple ask to sit apart last year.
Ha! Me too. Her actual words were "I don't want to sit next to him" so my husband did and they ended up having a very interesting conversation about business.

We have played musical cabin chairs many times when we were asked nicely and for good reason - business's associates that needed to do work on the flight, an elderly couple that appeared uncomfortable with their surroundings, a family with a baby.

We have also declined and one time it got pretty lively, the man would not take no thanks for an answer. I learned a lesson that day, I won't let myself get spun up like that again, will go directly to the FA.

I will not seperate from my son, so I would avoid asking anyone traveling with (Well I could sit apart from my son but it would have to be a very good reason. Who would want to sit next to someone else's kid?.)

My husband will not give up this aisle seat so if you are on an a319 (or the ones with the smaller, older style seats) people may not want to give up their aisle.

Your approach can make or break the request. I agree with waiting until you and your "new" seat have boarded but not settled in.

I don't think the gate agent will help but I could be wrong.
Old Nov 22, 13, 7:12 am

Programs: US CP, HH/SPG/MR Gold
I travel with my wife a lot and while we nearly always get upgraded to 3AC or 3DF, on occasion we're split up. Only once (out of 50+ times) has someone said no. It was 1B to 1D switch from aisle to a window. I understand his refusal but I'm sure I appeared surprised so he added, "book ahead and plan your trip better next time." We spent the entire flight pissed at each other and exchanging dirty looks. Meanwhile my wife could care less.

Moral of the story - I never ask unless it's a window-window or aisle-aisle switch. And no refusals since.

Last edited by NotThatGuy2012; Nov 22, 13 at 7:18 am
Old Nov 22, 13, 7:38 am

Programs: Motel 6, LLO Titanium
Soon we will not be able to tilt our own seats back... Please ask, but nicely.
Old Nov 22, 13, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bkafrick View Post
I'd rather not be the d-bag who says "no" - cause honestly, I like my seat, and I picked my seat purposely. But I really dont want to change.
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World View Post
I choose my first class seats purposely, too. And I used to really care.
There is one big problem with these statements ... and I'm not the first in this thread to point it out admittedly ...
Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
I also pick seats purposefully but so often my FC seat is just assigned to me when I get upgraded, so where I sit isn't really my choice.
The OP has two aisle seats, in my experience FC aisle seats go more quickly than the window seats, so it seems a higher percentage of first class travelers prefer them (as I personally do). Therefore I think there's a good chance one of the two folks sitting in either 2F or 4F will be glad to exchange their window seat for an aisle seat and there is no harm in asking.
Old Nov 22, 13, 8:59 am

Programs: US Chairman
Great thread. Was flying home last night on AA from DFW - BOS. Family (two parents, two young children - I'd guess between 3 and 6). Mom was frantic as the parents had two middle seats, and the kids were sitting next to each other - she just wanted to make sure that each of her kids had a parent - but the way the math was going to work - some traveler was having to give up a window or an aisle for a middle. This on a 3.5 hour trip on a Thursday night in the extended legroom economy - (I am sure everyone in that area had planned accordingly).

Under every other circumstance (people working together, granny, husband/wife) - can't expect someone to take a middle on a longish flight, but someone needs to step up there. People flat out said no to her.

As far as first class, you have two seats that no one can complain about. 2D and 4D - worst comes to worse if you have everyone who WANTS their aisle, or WANTS their window - you can just sit opposite each other across the row - that way keeps everyone happy. As long as you're not trying to trade a 2-4 for a row 1, you'll find someone and no one will be that pissed
Old Nov 22, 13, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by bkafrick View Post
I'm going to take the other side of this debate.

I think its annoying when people ask me to switch seats. Its a total guilt trip. "Would you minddddd if we swapped seats so I could sit next to my wife/girlfriend/cousin/dog/tuba?"

Its a short flight. You can't sit apart for a few hours?

I'd rather not be the d-bag who says "no" - cause honestly, I like my seat, and I picked my seat purposely. But I really dont want to change.

Anyway... thats my two cents.
First off - I agree with you that couples should be able to sit apart for a few hours. I have said no to couples before when asking to go from aisle to window. I try and be accommodating though and after being put in this situation once before I now switch all the time when asked . It may be a two hour flight but we have no way of knowing what the reason is for the change. Maybe the couple is excited to go on a vacation or are unfortunately heading to a funeral and want to be by their SO for whatever reason.
Old Nov 22, 13, 12:46 pm

Can't hurt to ask. We usually don't when traveling together, and often times people will offer without us asking at all (and no muttering under our breath or other passive-aggressive behavior). From my perspective, if I'm in an aisle seat it's because I like sitting there so I'd suggest asking the aisle(s) across from either of you if they'd switch since they'd get an aisle seat in return.
Old Nov 22, 13, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA PLAT SPG DL
Prefer to sit together

My wife and I prefer to sit together, and have almost always been succesful after upgrades or irrops. Some of my thoughts regarding the below -

1) We usually try to board early, and know specifically what swap will be required (Window for aisle, forward or back, etc) so we can ask the passenger as they approach their seat if they would like to switch, and the reason (So my wife and I can sit together). We ask once, and take a no for a no, without prying. Once their bag is in the overhead, it becomes more difficult for them to switch.

1a) Getting someone to swap an aisle for a window is more difficult, as is a middle for anything else in coach.

2) In FC, if FEBO will result in a poorer meal choice, I will always ask the FA to offer the choice to the passenger who swapped. And if they have moved a row back, I will allow them to exit the plane before my wife and I.

3) In a coach IROPS situation, I will offer to buy a drink or sandwich for the person.

Usually works, not always. Some luck with GA, but generallly ask them if there are available seats to swap to, and if no, will not ask them to try. If they voulenteer, We'll let them.
Old Nov 22, 13, 1:04 pm

Musical chairs.....

our flight this past weekend started off with me asking the lady in 3D if she wouldn't mind moving to 1A. She said yes but also said would you both like to sit in 1 and we will sit in row 3- I told her I would be happy to sit in either 1 or 3 but since I had 2 kids also in row 6, row 3 would be my preference but I certainly would take whatever they were willing to do so at least our 2 first class seats would be together.......
she moved to 1 and me and son sat in row 3, next comes the mother and son who are also split up and they ask someone in 3A to trade-- that person says yes.......
now the gentleman behind me asks me would you prefer to sit in row 4 so you will be right in front of your other 2 children? I say " I think I probably would prefer to be away from them HAHA!" and then told him thank you for asking and that would be great if 4F didn't mind sitting in 3F (4F still hadn't arrived). 4D was ready to move right then but I said lets just wait for 4 F as I don't want to presume they are ok with it although they would probably prefer being away from my kids in 6 E/F
next comes in 4F who says he is happy to sit wherever- except 4D wants an aisle- 4D moved to 3C; 3C moved to 3A and the other mom/child ended up sitting in 3 D/F.

end result was 9 of 16 FC passengers I think moved seats-- it was comical when the FA tried addressing us by names-- she gave up by 3rd row

also don't presume that just because you are in row 4 you will get food leftovers-- 3 of my last 4 FC flights they have started in row 4 for food orders vs 1.

Also when I asked the flight before last if someone would trade with us- it made them move to row 4 and I told him he could have whichever meal he preferred and we could take last choice if he didn't get to pick what he wanted.

out of our assignments 1A, 3F, 6E, 31B last weekend (auto assigned due to a cancelled flight) we ended up with 4D/F; 6 EF (there wasn't a row 5 so consecutive rows for me and the 3 kids).

I usually start off my question with. I completely understand if you would prefer not to move but just in case you don't mind would you be interested in sitting in X .

my trades involve kids so if they say no they end up with a 6 year old sitting next to them so I actually haven't had a no to date, but wouldn't offend me if they did and my kids would behave themselves nonetheless.
Old Nov 22, 13, 1:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World View Post
Since that moment, I just don't blink an eye. I choose my seats purposefully. But if someone asks if I wouldn't mind changing with them, I smile and say, "Sure, happy to, where are you sitting?"
At least make sure they aren't in the back first.
Old Nov 22, 13, 1:09 pm

also-- not sure what the gate attendant offered the person in 6F to move but he was moved back to 8A and she took his email address and said thank you to him and she would be sending something to him (I could not hear exactly). We offered to buy him a drink but FA said he declined. I did thank him twice and the kids thanked him as well
Old Nov 22, 13, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I recently asked someone to switch seats. He was already on board in 5D so I walked up to him and said "would you mind switching seats? My wife and son are in 5E & F and I'd like to sit with them. Immediately you could see the "oh crap" look on his face and he reluctantly asked "where are you sitting?". He was a bit surprised when I told him I was in 1C, and that he was welcome to go sit in the first class cabin if he'd give up 5D.

He was pretty much stunned and asked a couple of times "Are you sure? Really??". Even made sure to thank me again when we deplaned.

(My wife, son and I were traveling PHL-TPA earlier in the month using vouchers so we were all on separate reservations and I forgot about that until I got my upgrade email for the flight separating our seats).
Old Nov 22, 13, 1:54 pm

Even on long flights I don't mind switching in F. I dont like bulkhead but am 5'3 so it seemed petty when a 6'4 guy asked to sit by his teen son to say no. There was no overhead room for my bag though so I made him put it underneath his seat and give it to me after we took off! He was happy to do it but it was a little odd of an arrangement.

I asked on a short 1 hour flight recently with family to sit next to my stepdad (we were on different tickets and I got upgraded last as Silver so had no seat choice). It wouldnt have been a big deal if they said no, and I normally wouldn't care, but we rarely get the chance to chat 1 on 1 in a big blended family. Traded a window for window though. Rest of the family was in coach . We cheersed them with our free drinks when they boarded in zone 4!
Old Nov 22, 13, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by rtkane View Post
I recently asked someone to switch seats. He was already on board in 5D so I walked up to him and said "would you mind switching seats? My wife and son are in 5E & F and I'd like to sit with them. Immediately you could see the "oh crap" look on his face and he reluctantly asked "where are you sitting?". He was a bit surprised when I told him I was in 1C, and that he was welcome to go sit in the first class cabin if he'd give up 5D.

He was pretty much stunned and asked a couple of times "Are you sure? Really??". Even made sure to thank me again when we deplaned.

(My wife, son and I were traveling PHL-TPA earlier in the month using vouchers so we were all on separate reservations and I forgot about that until I got my upgrade email for the flight separating our seats).
I was on CLT-CUN a few months ago, me and the +1 were in 1A and 1C. Chatting with guy across aisle and a gentleman had given him his F seat to go sit in coach with his wife? Man was he thrilled to move from an aisle wayyy back in the plane to that seat! Especially since he had never sat in F and those were the almost lay flat seats (cant remember the plane, in PHX we never get those).

I told my boyfriend that I wouldn't be giving up my F seat to sit with him in coach ever

Search this Thread
Search Engine: