FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   US Airways Express Boarding (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1523282-us-airways-express-boarding.html)

felipegarcia Nov 19, 2013 7:42 pm

US Airways Express Boarding

Quick question.

Has US Airways (or I guess US Airways Express, if it makes a difference/0 switched to the UA-style boarding sequence that boards coach from the window seats to the aisle seats, or are they still using the older method of starting from the rear and then forward?

I'm flying Air Wisconsin and Republic next weekend (1st time flying US Airways Express) and have no idea how they board, and that might influence the seats I choose (I was surprised last month when I found out that United switched boarding methods).

BoeingBoy Nov 19, 2013 7:50 pm

Others can answer more specifically - I don't pay any attention and just board when my name is called. On the Air Whiskey flight it won't make any real difference since there's only 50 seats. I'd pick the seat that's most comfortable for you.

Republic operates 2 versions of the E-jet for US - the E-170 and E-175. Both have roughly 50-60% more seats than the CRJ-200 that Air Whiskey operates so if you want to board early for storage space, deplane quicker, whatever, it would make a bigger difference where you sit.

Jim

felipegarcia Nov 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy (Post 21816936)
there's only 50 seats.

I'm somewhat afraid of boarding too late to put my stuff in the overhead bins, never flown Bombardier before, so I have no idea how bad it typically gets (say, compared to an ERJ-145).

I believe the flight is supposed to be an E-175 on the way back (the difference 170/175 is like 1 or 2 rows, so that doesn't make a big difference), but it's also mostly for the guaranteed storage space.

DCdeacon Nov 19, 2013 8:55 pm

When I'm on a CRJ, I purposely board last, since all rollaboards are gate checked. When I don't have to worry about overhead space, the less time on that plane, the better. Regardless, I'm not aware of a different boarding order than mainline US flights. Meaning, I believe US Express still boards by Zone number, starting with 1 and working up to zone 5.

bkafrick Nov 19, 2013 9:13 pm

Boarding is the same, mainline vs express.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...g_process.html

BoeingBoy Nov 19, 2013 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by felipegarcia (Post 21817025)
I'm somewhat afraid of boarding too late to put my stuff in the overhead bins, never flown Bombardier before, so I have no idea how bad it typically gets (say, compared to an ERJ-145).

The CRJ doesn't have OHB room for regulation roll-a-boards and they're all checked plane-side, I believe to be delivered plane-side after the flight (or at the bottom of the jetway where they use them). Smaller items - knapsacks, laptop bags, small roll-a-boards not overstuffed, etc - will fit fine either in the OHBs or under the seat.

On the Embraers you'll want to board in the 1st half of passengers - while regulation sized roll-a-boards will fit it's longwise with the wheels either forward or aft. Consequently the OHBs fill up quicker than on a mainline plane (except the E-190 which is just a longer version of the E-170/175).

Jim

felipegarcia Nov 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Not traveling with a rollaboard, just a backpack with clothes and photo equipment, and a laptop briefcase. I still don't want to have to argue over "can you assure me that the $7000 worth of camera equipment in this backpack will be there and working when I arrive? Worst case scenario the bag *should* fit under the seat infront of me, at least from what I remember doing in the past, and the laptop bag should be easy to stow, but I don't want to take any chances.

D_M_W Nov 20, 2013 7:00 am

Originally Posted by DCdeacon (Post 21817271)
When I'm on a CRJ, I purposely board last, since all rollaboards are gate checked. When I don't have to worry about overhead space, the less time on that plane, the better. Regardless, I'm not aware of a different boarding order than mainline US flights. Meaning, I believe US Express still boards by Zone number, starting with 1 and working up to zone 5.

I do the same thing for the same reason.

PWMTrav Nov 20, 2013 7:05 am

Not really on topic, but the E-175 (at least the one that YX flies for USX) only has a bulkhead curtain. That means you get underseat storage, a seatback pocket and a LOT of legroom. IMHO, the best coach seat in the entire US fleet - mainline or express. I'd suggest sitting there with a bag that fits under the seat if you're worried.

felipegarcia Nov 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav (Post 21819178)
Not really on topic, but the E-175 (at least the one that YX flies for USX) only has a bulkhead curtain. That means you get underseat storage, a seatback pocket and a LOT of legroom. IMHO, the best coach seat in the entire US fleet - mainline or express. I'd suggest sitting there with a bag that fits under the seat if you're worried.

Being 5'4", I find legroom to be not a concern. I believe that my current seat is indeed 4D or whatever the first right hand aisle seat is.

Interestingly enough, I currently have 5A (window) on the CRJ, and it shows the aisle next to me and the window across the aisle as Choice seats - $22, and the aisle on the other side is taken/unavailable. I can't find anything that says that there's something special about that row of seats.

BoeingBoy Nov 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Choice seats don't have any special features except being closer to the front of the cabin and generally not middle seats (which would only apply to mainline since neither the E170/175/190 nor the CRJ has middle seats).

Jim

PWMTrav Nov 21, 2013 8:02 am

Originally Posted by felipegarcia (Post 21823228)
Being 5'4", I find legroom to be not a concern. I believe that my current seat is indeed 4D or whatever the first right hand aisle seat is.

Interestingly enough, I currently have 5A (window) on the CRJ, and it shows the aisle next to me and the window across the aisle as Choice seats - $22, and the aisle on the other side is taken/unavailable. I can't find anything that says that there's something special about that row of seats.

There is nothing special about any seat on the CRJ, including the exit row. You may like the bulkhead a little better, but that's it. They do usually block one side of the bulkhead row, so you might be able to get that seat at the airport.

Often1 Nov 21, 2013 8:52 am

Originally Posted by felipegarcia (Post 21817530)
Not traveling with a rollaboard, just a backpack with clothes and photo equipment, and a laptop briefcase. I still don't want to have to argue over "can you assure me that the $7000 worth of camera equipment in this backpack will be there and working when I arrive? Worst case scenario the bag *should* fit under the seat infront of me, at least from what I remember doing in the past, and the laptop bag should be easy to stow, but I don't want to take any chances.

Whether you are first or last on a CRJ, I would not count on being able to fit a backpack containing hard equiptment as opposed to soft squishable clothing, onto that aircraft.

No, US representative will guarantee anything about camera equiptment because it's specifically excluded under the COC. While there are isolated incidents involving theft from gate-checked luggage, on a CRJ, it's relatively unheard of, particularly if you are boarding/deplaning via air stairs and the gate checks are picked up and dropped off planeside.

felipegarcia Nov 21, 2013 5:21 pm

It's a soft bag. It does fit in an ERJ-145, I know that for sure.

I know electronics are not covered under the CoC, and last time I heard an RPA gate announcement regarding a full flight and checked bags, they said to "remove all electronics and value items", so if they try to pull that off, I'll ask them what am I supposed to do. One computer has a laptop, the other has $7k worth of camera gear. Although I've heard that if you have electronics and stuff like that they will be more accomodating. More than theft it's about damage, since I know I have camera gear in there, how it's packed and how to handle the bag.

burlax Nov 22, 2013 12:04 am

Originally Posted by felipegarcia (Post 21817530)
. . . I still don't want to have to argue over "can you assure me that the $7000 worth of camera equipment in this backpack will be there and working when I arrive? Worst case scenario the bag *should* fit under the seat infront of me, at least from what I remember doing in the past, and the laptop bag should be easy to stow, but I don't want to take any chances.

You should not waste your time on trying to get assurances because (i) regardless of verbal assurances, US will not reimburse you for loss/damage to camera and electronics in checked baggage, (ii) even if FA would be willing to scribble something down, she is not gonna have proper authority to modify CoC, and (iii) anyone in supervisory capacity would sooner dress up as a court jester before coming to work than provide you with such assurances in writing.