Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways FC New Snack Basket

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by rowingman
I find this thread incredibly disheartening. AA fliers can only hope that Mr Parker does not trash AA. Perhaps the upgraded experience Delta and the empty promises of Smisek to do better at UA on service and in flight experience might keep AA from becoming a sheep dipped Cactus.
The snack basket concept (which has recently been copied by DL) originated with US two decades ago. Later, when Parker merged US and HP, he kept the service and incorporated it onto the US-west operations. It was not something he created, and moreover, as a replacement to meal service. But let the rumors fly....
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I find this thread incredibly disheartening. AA fliers can only hope that Mr Parker does not trash AA. Perhaps the upgraded experience Delta and the empty promises of Smisek to do better at UA on service and in flight experience might keep AA from becoming a sheep dipped Cactus.
What I find incredibly disheartening is the trashing of 'Dougie' before this new airline has even pushed back from the gate. It's going to be an awfully long, painful process if we're "trashing" before we even know what's going to happen when the two are brought together.

I have no idea what "sheep dipped cactus" even means, but how about we let things play out before we "trash?"
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:46 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Fanjet
The snack basket concept (which has recently been copied by DL) originated with US two decades ago. Later, when Parker merged US and HP, he kept the service and incorporated it onto the US-west operations. It was not something he created, and moreover, as a replacement to meal service. But let the rumors fly....
Didn't the snack basket migrate to DL via NW? They had it back in '05 as I recall.

The one thing I miss from the NW snack basket was the fresh fruit -- always Michigan apples in small bags perfect for stowing the core.

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I have no idea what "sheep dipped cactus" even means, but how about we let things play out before we "trash?"
I think it must be a Texas thing. Like chicken fried steak?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:06 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Silver
I used to really like the apple-cinnamon breakfast bars, but they disappeared.

Then the organic Cheez-It clones. Gone.

The cranberry snack mix is no more, as many others have pointed out.

Then these like cinnamon-sugar crunch things that were made from something different (sunflower seeds comes to mind, but that's not right) and produced I think by a company in Charlotte. Yeah, I only saw those once. Gone.

Now I'm down to the blueberry puffs & pretzels. But since I like them, they're likely to disappear, too.

-OM
Old Nov 18, 2013, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I agree I don't like this snack basket as much as the last one. The last one I had to resist the urger to take too much so I didn't look like a pig. This one, I take a couple things and I'm good.

I don't like the rainbow chips. I'm not a big fan of Utz products. I liked the Kettle chips better.

I really miss the Lotus cookies from way back.

The cinnamon popcorn and blueberry puffs are decent.

On the snack mix flights, I really wish there was a choice in types. I haven't been a fan of most of their snack mixes, but the one they offer on short breakfast flights is decent. I'd like to see more of those.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Ottermatic
I used to really like the apple-cinnamon breakfast bars, but they disappeared.

Then the organic Cheez-It clones. Gone.

The cranberry snack mix is no more, as many others have pointed out.

Then these like cinnamon-sugar crunch things that were made from something different (sunflower seeds comes to mind, but that's not right) and produced I think by a company in Charlotte. Yeah, I only saw those once. Gone.

Now I'm down to the blueberry puffs & pretzels. But since I like them, they're likely to disappear, too.

-OM
Big +1 for the organic cheese crackers. They weren't half bad with the Cabernet.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:33 pm

never ever eat airline food
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I have no idea what "sheep dipped cactus" even means...
Neither did I, but urbandictionary.com always comes through: sheep dipped.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by mortgage1
never ever eat airline food
Never say "never" until you've seen my signature.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:42 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
What's a snack basket? From a forlorn AAEXP. Dreading Dougie. DCA to ORD. Rare roast beef on a bed of greens. Bar service and hot chocolate chip cookies. Snack basket?....
Is rare roast beef something that you get in your second or third million miles? I don't think I saw anything but dry, well done beef on AA in my first 1.5 million.

Or on any airline for that matter.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: US Gold, Avis First, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
This might be crazy but what about something fresh? apples, oranges, grapes, strawberries, bananas?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
BYOSB?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
Sheep dipped could mean the new airline could be following in the other legacy's footsteps with certain policies (i.e. revenue based elites, less and less seat pitch, etc.) and cactus I guess is referring to US Airways' call sign

That being said, I'm somewhat excited about the new airline, especially if the EXP program keeps their 8 one way upgrades (much better than US' 2 + 2 companion) and hopefully more food in FC compared to US
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by burlax
BYOSB?
I will be doing that the weekend. I used to always pack meals when our son was younger but then got away from it as he aged. This weekend we are in first with two, three hour legs.

I will, however, check out the new basket regardless of what I take along.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
My hopes & prayers are that Mr. Parker realizes AA is not LCC and to not to LC.
Time will tell. Where I am it's UA, AA, or WN for non-stops. If I get a F cabin w/ 3 rows (minimal if any upgrades) & a snack basket. It may be adios to a great run w// AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.