FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   New Summer 2014 Route PHL-Edinburgh (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1522239-new-summer-2014-route-phl-edinburgh.html)

Jamie2k9 Nov 16, 2013 3:18 pm

New Summer 2014 Route PHL-Edinburgh

From 23 May to 30 September, US Airways to operate PHL-EDI with B757, route is largely a daily service apart from the start and end of the season when its 6 weekly.

IzzyL Nov 16, 2013 6:17 pm

New Route PHL-Edinburgh

Thanks for update. Closer to St. Andrews!

BoeingBoy Nov 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Didn't US try this route before or is my memory slipping?

Jim

Fanjet Nov 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy (Post 21798023)
Didn't US try this route before or is my memory slipping?

Jim

They did to Birmingham (for I think just a year). But my memory doesn't recollect a PHL-EDI flight.

sushanna1 Nov 16, 2013 9:46 pm

I think there was a Philly to Glasgow flight. Not sure if it still exists.

BoeingBoy Nov 16, 2013 9:55 pm

It's probably the Birmingham flight that I was thinking of.

Jim

cardinalkid1891 Nov 17, 2013 1:09 am

Nice addition

GNRMatt Nov 17, 2013 2:50 pm

I always love it when new PHL to Europe routes are added!

Since Glasgow and Edinburgh are only 1 hour from each other by car, is there any confirmation that they'll be flying both?

phlwookie Nov 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt (Post 21801417)
I always love it when new PHL to Europe routes are added!

Since Glasgow and Edinburgh are only 1 hour from each other by car, is there any confirmation that they'll be flying both?

PHL-GLA is in the schedule as US 768 next summer.

I get to to EDI every few years, usually by train eiher from Glasgow or London King's Cross, so this is potentially handy for me. Let's hope it does well.

Jamie2k9 Nov 17, 2013 6:38 pm

PHL-DUB is due to change from B762 to A332 for the summer season as well.

US Airways have a lot of growth from both PHL and CLT to Europe next summer.

phllyflyboy Nov 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 (Post 21802611)
PHL-DUB is due to change from B762 to A332 for the summer season as well.

US Airways have a lot of growth from both PHL and CLT to Europe next summer.

+1 for the A332

Does US have any scheduled wide-body deliveries in the near future?

BoeingBoy Nov 18, 2013 5:53 pm

There were the A332's this year - I don't know if all of them have been picked up from Airbus. The last of the A332's were scheduled to come in the first half of next year IIRC. I think that'll be 5 of them but don't hold me to that number. Those are probably pretty sure to come unless there's something in the lease agreement that allows canceling them or shifting the orders to A350's (due to start coming in 2017). Once within 9-12 months of delivery it can cost money to cancel with Airbus since components are ordered up to that far ahead, but since US leases it's airplanes the leasor may be willing to swap planes around.

After next year the merger could have a big effect on airplane deliveries in general and widebodies in particular. 25 of a given airplane type is about the minimum to operate relatively efficiently. Below that training and maint cost start to climb pretty steeply and above 25 is more efficient with no real upper limit. AA already has over 100 777's and nearly 60 767-300's, and is getting 777's as we speak. So it's entirely possible that some of the US widebodies don't stay in the fleet too long.

Jim

Fanjet Nov 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy (Post 21809084)

After next year the merger could have a big effect on airplane deliveries in general and widebodies in particular. 25 of a given airplane type is about the minimum to operate relatively efficiently. Below that training and maint cost start to climb pretty steeply and above 25 is more efficient with no real upper limit. AA already has over 100 777's and nearly 60 767-300's, and is getting 777's as we speak. So it's entirely possible that some of the US widebodies don't stay in the fleet too long.

Jim

:eek: Wait! :eek:

Isn't that count the other way around? And the old AA management stated that they were only going to refurbish half of the 763 fleet with lie-flat J. I wouldn't be surprised if the 332s and 333s stayed. Perhaps picking up a few second-hand ones from some UAE carriers who are buying new widebodies like there is no tomorrow.

BoeingBoy Nov 18, 2013 6:38 pm

Good catch - I mistakenly added the total number of 777's to the number of -200's and -300's and got the "over 100" number. The 767-300 number is correct (58 actually) per AirFleets.net.

Thanks for catching my mistake.

Jim

DCdeacon Nov 18, 2013 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy (Post 21809084)
There were the A332's this year - I don't know if all of them have been picked up from Airbus. The last of the A332's were scheduled to come in the first half of next year IIRC. I think that'll be 5 of them but don't hold me to that number. Those are probably pretty sure to come unless there's something in the lease agreement that allows canceling them or shifting the orders to A350's (due to start coming in 2017). Once within 9-12 months of delivery it can cost money to cancel with Airbus since components are ordered up to that far ahead, but since US leases it's airplanes the leasor may be willing to swap planes around.

Jim

I think (but just going from memory) that five 332's were being delivered this year, and another three in 2014, which would bring the total 332 fleet to 15, and the 333 fleet would be 9.