Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

When will US Airways get approval for new electronics rule? (updated: 11/7/13 start)

When will US Airways get approval for new electronics rule? (updated: 11/7/13 start)

Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by jspira
Simple:
Devices are to be put into airplane mode when the door is closed. Phone communications including standard text cannot be turned on until landing.
Just because that is the rule definitely mean people aren't doing it and it isn't always being enforced.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Just because that is the rule definitely mean people aren't doing it and it isn't always being enforced.
Strictly enforcing it is almost impossible if the phone is in a pocket, bag under the seat, or in the OHB. Even looking at the screen it's not easy to see that a phone is in airplane mode with just a glance given all the different phones out there.

You'll be happy to know, though, that the new rule is to be announced but FAs aren't enforcers unless they notice someone talking/texting on their phone.

Jim
Old Nov 16, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
I've had people on the phone before this rule so don't think that is new.
This.

People just dont care about the rule.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Well, US has 7 regional affiliates, only 2 of which are owned subsidiaries of US Group, and they all operate as "US Express (operated by carrier name here).

AA can't just change the name of regional partners that fly for multiple mainline carriers, but can market the flights flown by any of them as Eagle.
I wasn't talking about changing the names of the various regional partners; I was commenting on AA's failure of not changing the name of its wholly-owned regional airline - American Eagle (MQ) - to something else.

American Eagle is perfectly OK as a marketing brand name, but if that's the brand, then it shouldn't also be used as the name of one of the regional providers.

US has two wholly-owned regionals and had the good sense to not name them "US Express," the brand name under which all US regionals operate.

I'm very surprised at the rather fast approval of this change. Seems to me that when government permits change, it typically takes effect in months (or a year) and not in mere days.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 12:11 pm

A marketing name is different from a corporate name. US, with 7 or more regional partners, markets all their flights as US Express but each has it's own corporate name. Someone said that Eagle now applied to all AA regional flights and that the old American Connection reference to contract regional partners had been dropped. No problem since it's just the marketing. Likewise I see no reason why AA would have to change the Eagle marketing name to match each of the regional partner's corporate names.

Jim
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
As of 11/15, Piedmont Airlines STILL has not approved PSE for use in airplane mode.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by pdpgps
As of 11/15, Piedmont Airlines STILL has not approved PSE for use in airplane mode.
It's entirely possible that the DH8 needs further testing before it can be approved.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List

No approval on flights today for Piedmont or Republic.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
On Air Wisconsin today...

...they announced that Personal Electronics Devices could now be used gate-to-gate. But "anything larger than a tablet" would need to be stowed for taxi, take-off, and landing...

So it appears at least one express carrier has been approved.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:18 pm

In another thread PSA was also said to be operating under the new rule. In a sense PSA, PDT, and Air Wisconsin have an easier time with the new rule. All three only fly for US so only have one mainline partner's new policies to worry about. The other Express carriers operate flights for multiple mainline partners.

Laptops are generally too heavy to stow in the seatback pocket, hence are treated as always.

Jim
Old Nov 30, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
Originally Posted by bkafrick

...they announced that Personal Electronics Devices could now be used gate-to-gate. But "anything larger than a tablet" would need to be stowed for taxi, take-off, and landing...

Same wordage for PSA yesterday morning.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Any word on Republic, I fly them twice a week, and it would be nice to be able to use my kindle.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by ellinj
Any word on Republic, I fly them twice a week, and it would be nice to be able to use my kindle.
I wonder if part of the Republic quandary is getting new CD's out to all of the planes. I have no idea how easy it is to update the recorded safety briefings in all the E170/E175 planes (or even if they use a CD or other digital media), but they all have the "no portable electronics" voiceover on them.

Would seem to be difficult to snap your fingers and get new media to all the planes at the same time?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:23 pm

Would seem to be difficult to snap your fingers and get new media to all the planes at the same time?
With airplanes that overnight at airports all over the country and pass through multiple hubs in the course of a day, it is. My experience is that the media (or notice to FAs if no media is involved) is distributed and a date days later is specified as the start date.

I'm guessing that the problem Republic, Mesa and Skywest have is that they operate for several mainline partners each, making a single Republic, etc, policy and announcements more difficult since they have to please several "masters."

Jim
Old Nov 30, 2013, 11:17 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat

Interesting. On my Air Wisconsin flight tonight, the Flight Attendant made a point of announcing that AW had most definitely not received the OK for electronic devices....so we received the 'old' stow your devices announcement. Not that it mattered to me....I'm all up in a good book tonight! With actual pages

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.