Ugh, need 373 PQMs

Old Oct 29, 13, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: US: Silver, HHonors
Ugh, need 373 PQMs

I have booked the remainder of my business travel for the year and will fall 373 miles short of Gold. I tried to tinker with my routing for the last trip to add a 500 mile minimum segment like DCA-PHL or SAN-LAX on my route (SAN-DCA) but couldn't get it done for the price my employer would be happy with. Before I go and do something dumb like buy a one-way SAN-LAX or something, anyone have any good ideas for how to earn this incredibly small number of miles?
Old Oct 29, 13, 11:31 am

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
You could always wait and see what happens on the rest of your flights, like maybe you get a few extra miles through IRROPS. If you still need the miles, you can buy up to gold for $249.

So if you're going to buy SAN-LAX or the like, make sure you pay less than $249.
Old Oct 29, 13, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Yeah I can rig up a dumb one-way for about $120 or so from somewhere to somewhere but to be honest my wife would probably rather drop the $250 and not have to drive to pick me up anywhere. This is so frustrating.
Old Oct 29, 13, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
You could do a day trip to SFO at $138 round trip on UA metal.

Just did a random Saturday the 14th of December:
Depart SAN 6:20am; arrive SFO at 8:03am (UA 663)
Depart SFO 5:58pm; arrive SAN at 7:29 (UA 519)

There are also round trips for the same cost that are a quick turn.
Old Oct 29, 13, 12:35 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
I've read posts on here where others have been bumped up to the next level when so close. Not sure if I would risk it though...
Old Oct 29, 13, 1:45 pm

Programs: free agent
Not sure if you have club membership, but you could buy or renew that to get 5000 PQMs.

Then your next problem is that you're 20,373 away from Platinum.
Old Oct 29, 13, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by youvesaiditall View Post
You could do a day trip to SFO at $138 round trip on UA metal.

Just did a random Saturday the 14th of December:
Depart SAN 6:20am; arrive SFO at 8:03am (UA 663)
Depart SFO 5:58pm; arrive SAN at 7:29 (UA 519)
^ on doing a mileage run.

Then take BART into the city and do some shopping or have a sourdough bowl of clam chowder.

Last edited by Michael El; Oct 29, 13 at 11:02 pm
Old Oct 29, 13, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by SubPar View Post
I have booked the remainder of my business travel for the year and will fall 373 miles short of Gold. I tried to tinker with my routing for the last trip to add a 500 mile minimum segment like DCA-PHL or SAN-LAX on my route (SAN-DCA) but couldn't get it done for the price my employer would be happy with. Before I go and do something dumb like buy a one-way SAN-LAX or something, anyone have any good ideas for how to earn this incredibly small number of miles?
Perhaps there will be opportunities to move up to better routes and you won't have to buy any additional tickets. Sounds like you may already have an idea what the appropriate flights are.
Old Oct 29, 13, 11:12 pm

Programs: US Gold & AA Lifetime Gold
Last year I fell about 500 short of gold but they still gave it to me.
Old Oct 30, 13, 11:18 am

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
As it stands now, I will be 766 miles short of CP. I do have one open week when I could get a client visit, so for once I am hoping to have to hit the road! Otherwise, it looks like either a really cheap MR or a buy up is in my future.
Old Oct 30, 13, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, US Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hginPHL View Post
As it stands now, I will be 766 miles short of CP. I do have one open week when I could get a client visit, so for once I am hoping to have to hit the road! Otherwise, it looks like either a really cheap MR or a buy up is in my future.
Could you head to Dallas? The availability of the $88 ai seems to come and go. If you could swing this one (Nov 12 or 13) for same day turn, 3.3 cpm on the base miles. 2600 mi plus 100% Fall Kick-off bonus.

Philadelphia (PHL) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) - Tue, Nov 12
US Airways, Inc. US Airways, Inc. 1848 Dep: 11:45AM Arr: 2:34PM 3h 49m Airbus A320 Economy (E)

Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Philadelphia (PHL) - Tue, Nov 12
US Airways, Inc. US Airways, Inc. 558 Dep: 5:45PM Arr: 9:52PM 3h 7m Airbus A319 Economy (E)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $87.80
Total cost for 1 passenger $87.80
Old Oct 30, 13, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Waiting to see if they comp me status isn't going to happen. I'm quitting my job and hitting the road for a year of travel starting Jan 7 and I want that lounge access too badly to leave it up to fate.

Complicating (easing?) matters is the fact that I'm leaving SAN for good on 11/22 so I'll be based out of PHL for most of December and then IAH for the end of the year. I'm thinking I can pick up something easy like PHL-DCA, maybe pricing will be competitive with Amtrak and I'll fly down for my December work visit instead of taking the train.

I'd love to take that $88 PHL/DFW but it seems that isn't an option for when I'll be there (after Thanksgiving, mostly).
Old Oct 30, 13, 3:25 pm

Programs: US Chairman
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Waiting to see if they comp me status isn't going to happen. I'm quitting my job and hitting the road for a year of travel starting Jan 7 and I want that lounge access too badly to leave it up to fate.

Complicating (easing?) matters is the fact that I'm leaving SAN for good on 11/22 so I'll be based out of PHL for most of December and then IAH for the end of the year. I'm thinking I can pick up something easy like PHL-DCA, maybe pricing will be competitive with Amtrak and I'll fly down for my December work visit instead of taking the train.

I'd love to take that $88 PHL/DFW but it seems that isn't an option for when I'll be there (after Thanksgiving, mostly).
That week between XMAS and New Year's is great for business heavy travel routes and low fares. I needed 1 leg last year and did the Boston - LGA shuttle for less than $100 and made it back to Boston in 3 hours. Of course, that was BOS-LGA, but I suspect you'll have a similar option out of Philly. I think I booked it < 5 days. The wife thought I was crazy, but I left after breakfast and was back for a late lunch - she hardly knew I was gone
Old Oct 30, 13, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze

Keep in kind that if you choose to do a buy-up, you can do it well into the next year. If you go that route, you could wait and see if they comp you the status, and if they don't do the buy up before your status expires Feb. 28 - the price will still be based on your last year's totals.
Old Oct 31, 13, 8:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), DL GM (ST E+), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
. I tried to tinker with my routing for the last trip to add a 500 mile minimum segment like DCA-PHL or SAN-LAX on my route (SAN-DCA) but couldn't get it done for the price my employer would be happy with.
That's what MoveUp is for

Search this Thread
Search Engine: