FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Seriously??? 8 vodka minis served by FC FA to one Passenger? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1515964-seriously-8-vodka-minis-served-fc-fa-one-passenger.html)

dcpatti Oct 28, 2013 6:37 am

Not sure if it's funny or sad that this thread has four times as many replies as the one about the pilot who bought pizza for the entire plane after the passengers sat through a MX delay followed by a WX diversion.

PHL Oct 28, 2013 7:08 am

Originally Posted by tacostuff (Post 21681282)
Without agreeing or disagreeing, where do we draw the line? The general trend in this thread is "mind your own business." If I had a social responsbility to say something to the rental car counter, then isn't it at least ok for the OP to quietly mention to the FA that the pax may have been overserved? In both situations no one can say for sure whether the pax is going to drive drunk (since neither the OP or I actually saw the pax get into car).

On the plane, we normally don't know if the passenger is or isn't driving after consuming the excessive amounts of alcohol. But if you see him drink so much, and then see the same individual attempting to pick up a car I think it certainly warrants advising the rental agent and/or manager. On the plane, he's not causing any harm to anyone. On the ground, with keys to a car, it's a bit different.

Michael El Oct 28, 2013 7:45 am

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite Hank songs.

qasr Oct 28, 2013 9:06 am

On BOS-DCA, I was served 10 total, with 2 in a to-go bag. As I recall I was headed to the Freddie Awards and a grand time was bad by all. If only all FA's were as service oriented.

02143 Oct 28, 2013 11:11 am

Having been on a transcon flight where a passenger was overserved and threw up all over the window and the seat, and we had to abide the smell even after the FA cleaned it up, I don't think it's completely not the OP's business that this happened.

ronniefastback Oct 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Just like politics.... so many opinions on both sides. Personally, no issue with the OP. Not sure I would've don it or not, but I probably would have noticed.

Same thing if I was in a bar. If I saw a guy slamming 8 shots in an hour, I'd probably be wondering how that guy is driving home. It's easy to say it doesn't affect you, but it certainly may affect someone.

MikeLaw Oct 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by duniawala (Post 21677406)
Are you sure you are a bartender? :confused:f750 ml is a full size bottle. 8 minis are like 4 large drinks (if you go by the standard large peg). A person on a full stomach would be a little tipsy after an hour. Not drunk.

I'm a drinker and I've been known to do my utmost to empty the first-class bar on flights to Vegas, but this is inaccurate. A shot is 1.5 ounces and a mini is 1.67 ounces. 8 shots of vodka in in hour would result in someone well past tipsy, even a big guy like me. A 260 pound man would have an estimated BAC of .12 and a 120 pound woman .30 or so. Its a pretty significant amount of alcohol.

However, if I knew the guy wasn't driving, I'd see no problem with giving him that amount of alcohol. I've seen a lot worse at parties.

etsmyers Oct 28, 2013 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo (Post 21679961)
:confused: :confused: :confused:

BTW, people buy bottles of vodka at liquor stores every day. What's to stop those customers from opening the bottle in the parking lot and taking a few gulps? Nothing.

Other than the law?

BoeingBoy Oct 28, 2013 8:38 pm

Problem solved! The law against driving while impared or whatever a particular state calls it will keep anyone who's driving after a flight from imbibing too much on the plane.

Jim

dcpatti Oct 28, 2013 8:58 pm

You can fit 9 mini's in a single TSA-compliant ziplock Baggie and still have room for your toothbrush.

tommyleo Oct 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by etsmyers (Post 21685581)
Other than the law?

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy (Post 21685642)
Problem solved! The law against driving while impared or whatever a particular state calls it will keep anyone who's driving after a flight from imbibing too much on the plane.

Jim, that's exactly my point! Thank you!

There is NOTHING irresponsible about a FA allowing a grown adult pax to drink 8 vodka minis. The responsibility not to drive drunk lies on the pax, not the FA.

BoeingBoy Oct 28, 2013 9:36 pm

Perhaps that's how it should work, but some state officials see it differently.

Jim

bkafrick Oct 28, 2013 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo (Post 21685844)
There is NOTHING irresponsible about a FA allowing a grown adult pax to drink 8 vodka minis. The responsibility not to drive drunk lies on the pax, not the FA.

Actually... Legally, this is untrue.

Look up Dram Shop laws... In many states, businesses that sell alcohol can face civil liability for injuries that their intoxicated patrons inflict on third parties – even after those patrons have left their premises.

So, its in the businesses (and FA's) best interest to NOT serve someone 8 vodka minis... The liability (and thus responsibility) may fall onto the business and the employee.

Oneworldplus2 Oct 29, 2013 1:06 am

Originally Posted by bankops (Post 21675581)
Body weight, metabolism, full stomach, etc. All of these can play a part.

THIS

Just the last month I really cut down my alcohol intake.

Down from a 6-pack + ~1 bottle of wine per night, to only having a few beers on weekends.

I had 3 beers on Saturday night, and felt half smashed. 1 month ago, it wouldn't have touched the sides.

Everyone is different.

If the pax isn't causing any problems (to you or anyone else), let it go.

God forbid you read the FT post some guy posted drinking 6 bottles (could have been more?) of Dom on a SQ flight...

Kacee Oct 29, 2013 3:07 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 21680731)
And if they were doing anything to irritate you that would be reasonable. If your pique was simply that they were drinking that much than it's your problem.

Why should you place your view of 'responsible' drinking on someone else when they aren't annoying anyone else?

I'm not particularly judgmental about this sort of thing but slamming back eight minis in an hour is objectively not okay. Maybe at a fraternity party but not on an airplane.

If you think eight shots in an hour is "responsible" drinking, well . . . no further comment.