Seriously??? 8 vodka minis served by FC FA to one Passenger?

Old Oct 27, 13, 9:58 am

Programs: US DM Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
yes, but thats my business as well

If I am getting picked up, I am going to enjoy as many or as few drinks as I feel like, I dont need someone on board playing alcohol cop, mind your own business.

Obviously in the story, the dude with 8 shots wasnt driving. Let him enjoy his drinks. He's the one with a possible headache later, not you
Hey, you want to get hammered in the privacy of your own home I've got no problem with that.

If you want to have 8 drinks in 1 1/2 hours and get on the road with my family, it sure as hell is my business.

You don't assume someone is not driving when serving alchol. You assume they are.
Old Oct 27, 13, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by clemsonfn View Post

You don't assume someone is not driving when serving alchol. You assume they are.
Thats the FAs job, not yours.
Old Oct 27, 13, 10:37 am

Programs: US DM Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Wasn't that the point of the OP?

Originally Posted by Nutzz View Post
Curious on what others think about this irresponsible action by a FA...
Old Oct 27, 13, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
When I see people seriously boozing it up in F, I always wonder if they are just doing it because the booze is free. Or they are just big-time alcoholics.
I like them because they're free.
Old Oct 27, 13, 10:48 am

Programs: None
Seems we're back to some assuming facts not in evidence then taking their assumptions as fact.

Can anyone offer proof that the FA made an assumption that the passenger in question wasn't driving?

Jim
Old Oct 27, 13, 10:58 am

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Four Seasons/Belmond Paid Guest
This is a ridiculous thread by those only secure in a nanny state..

ANY drink I pour, scotch, rum/coke at home is likely 2.5 oz.. martini's closer to 3.. thats 2.5 drinks in 1.25 hrs. Thats really not terribly much...I'm not suggesting its not significant, but to me its not extraordinary.

AND what business is it of yours? Get your own life.
Old Oct 27, 13, 11:12 am

Programs: US PP
Seriously??? 8 savory snack mixes served by FC FA to one Passenger?

Just got off a flight (that I will not reveal the flight #)... The FC FA served a passenger 2 savory snack mixes PD and 6 savory snack mixes on a 45min flight.

The passenger was scarfing them straight from the bag and the FA knew it / witnessed it, but kept serving...

When I approached the FA and asked if that was too many, he said the passenger wasn't eating dinner later, but rather going to an hors d'oeuvres event this weekend... How the hell does he know this????

I know there are technically no rules, but rather the FA's make "judgement calls" on what is too many, but again... 8 savory snack mixes in approx 1hr 15min? I have seen over service, but this takes the cake...

The next thing you know we will have a heart attack shut off snack service for a few years and ruin it for everyone that is responsible.

I know many flight attendants personally. Some follow the one snack basket pass rule and others hand it out like candy, but this was pathetic. Sick in my mind!!!

Curious on what others think about this irresponsible action by a FA...

/sarcasm

Last edited by tank089; Oct 27, 13 at 11:13 am Reason: deleted/added word
Old Oct 27, 13, 11:17 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
The OP states:

When I approached the FA and asked if that was too many, he said the passenger wasn't driving, but rather going to a NFL game this weekend... How the hell does he know this????

I'd take that as evidence that the FA was confident that the passenger wasn't driving. As for the OP's question of how the FA knew that, I would guess it came up in conversation. We all give the FA's (and bartenders and waiters) little tid-bits about ourselves, especially when we're hitting the bottle, and I think it's far more likely that the passenger said something like "I can't wait till my buddy Dave picks me up at the airport because we're heading off to the big game" than the FA just made stuff up.

Also do keep in mind that the martini glass you're served from in a bar or restaurant is going to have at least a 4-ounce capacity, and more like 6-8 ounces. Even a Cosmo is pretty close to straight alcohol. And no bartender, at least not in the US, is going to give you a one-third full glass. Not when you're paying $10 or more for that drink. It's going to be a two- or three-shot drink just so it doesn't look like you're getting cheated with an empty glass. While a martini glass probably wasn't designed to be filled close to the brim, in the real world they are, and no one would bat an eyelash at someone who downs 3 martins in nearly an hour and a half.
Old Oct 27, 13, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat

What is wrong with people in this thread?? The OP brought up something that he thought was questionable by a US FA, and people have basically made the OP sound like he or she is a kitten-killer...

Is 8 drinks in about 60 min a lot? Yes. Would I keep an eye on a pax drinking that much? Yes. Would I say some something? Not unless the pax was disturbing me or others.

People here need to discuss the question posted by the OP, not the OP him or herself. Comments like some of those above do nothing to advance the debate and only drive people away from boards like this...

Last edited by tacostuff; Oct 27, 13 at 11:24 am
Old Oct 27, 13, 11:27 am

Programs: None
The OP took his own tendency to imbibe little to moderately, added an assumption that the FA had no reason to think the subject passenger wasn't driving and found the FA's actions "irresponsible."

As someone famous said, "Let he without sin cast the first stone"...

Have we found a winner - the one without sin?

Jim
Old Oct 27, 13, 11:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tacostuff View Post
Comments like some of those above do nothing to advance the debate and only drive people away from boards like this...
Maybe that's a good thing for people that cannot mind their own business or find the need to criticize others for behavior that doesn't affect them.
In my opinion not much is more offensive than trying to limit someone elses freedom to do as he/she pleases when you aren't affected by their behavior or it's clearly against the law. Both don't seem to apply here.
Old Oct 27, 13, 11:57 am

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
As a former bartender, I concur. 750ml of alcohol (one standard minibottle) is a shot. Whoever stated that it's only 2-3 martinis must be ordering doubles/triples............
Are you sure you are a bartender? f750 ml is a full size bottle. 8 minis are like 4 large drinks (if you go by the standard large peg). A person on a full stomach would be a little tipsy after an hour. Not drunk.
Old Oct 27, 13, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Michael El View Post
In your opinion.
^
Old Oct 27, 13, 12:17 pm

I trust that the FA knew what he was doing. I wouldn't have noticed how much another passenger was drinking unless the passenger started getting obnoxious.

Whether eight drinks is too much depends on if the person drinking is an ex jockey or an ex linebacker. Just one drink an hour would make me grumpy at the lack of service and I'd feel sick and stop drinking long before I got to eight. I will save the minis for later if the FA keeps handing them out.
Old Oct 27, 13, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA , Marriott Titanium

I hope the person siting next to me in 1D is not counting my drinks.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: