Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Garment bag carry on new policy?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2013, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Garment bag carry on new policy?

I travel with a small to mid size garment bag and a backpack, 120 flights a year, boarding a flight out if Vegas this weekend and the gate agent scolds me and says the garment bag now counts for 2 bags and while she'd let me go today, it was policy and if she noticed me again, she'd have to check it.

Seriously....
Old Oct 21, 2013, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by samgvb
I travel with a small to mid size garment bag and a backpack, 120 flights a year, boarding a flight out if Vegas this weekend and the gate agent scolds me and says the garment bag now counts for 2 bags and while she'd let me go today, it was policy and if she noticed me again, she'd have to check it.

Seriously....
The. 2 bags nonsense is clearly fabricated.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
No offense, but most garment bags take up waaay more overhead space than a rollaboard. If you can fit three rollaboards lengthwise in an overhead bin, you're often hard pressed to get more than one rollaboard in a bin that already has a garment bag. I would love to see garment bags, guitars, and any other oddly shaped bag/carrying cases not be permitted as carry-on luggage. Just my two cents.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Does your garment bag exceed these dimensions? If so, she's correct.

You're allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item. Personal items include a purse, briefcase or laptop bag.

•Up to 45 in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 x 23 x 56 cm)
•Up to 40 lbs/18 kg
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Michael El
How could she be correct? The FA claimed that the garment bag is considered to be two bags. That claim makes no sense. The garment bag is always one bag. If it exceeds the dimensions that you linked, then that garment bag must be checked -- still as one bag.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by tommyleo
How could she be correct? The FA claimed that the garment bag is considered to be two bags. That claim makes no sense. The garment bag is always one bag. If it exceeds the dimensions that you linked, then that garment bag must be checked -- still as one bag.
Crikey....I missed the two bag comment in the OP.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Michael El
Crikey....I missed the two bag comment in the OP.
"Crikey" is such a great term, though! So it was worth the oversight.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: AA/AS/UA; Bonvoy
I've been thinking of how this could possibly have occurred (saying it counts as two bags) and am still confused...
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by tommyleo
How could she be correct? The FA claimed that the garment bag is considered to be two bags. That claim makes no sense.
FWIW, it was the agent and not the FA.

If the OP had another carry-on bag it may have just been the agents way of saying that the OP couldn't have effectively three cabin items - a normal carry-on and a personal item the size of two personal items. Badly phrased by all means, but correct.
Jim

Last edited by BoeingBoy; Oct 22, 2013 at 9:21 am
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:16 am
Original Poster

As I said, it was a small to mid size garment gag. Not sure if it's with in specs, but I have a suit, pair of jeans and 3-4 shirts. Total weight was ~20 pounds, maybe. I also had a standard backpack. I travel with this setup ALOT and never questioned. This bag fits into most of the small regional jets as well when I really fold it up....for perspective.

Gate Agent didn't seem to have the best of mornings that day.

My bag:
Closure Type: Zip Closure
Maximum Strap Length: 42.0 "
Shell Material Polyester
Liner Material: Polyester
Dimensions: 18.0 " H x 22.5 " W x 6.5 " D
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
FWIW, it was the agent and not the FA.
Crikey!
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: None
If you only had two carry-on bags and one would fit beneath the seat, there should be no problem taking both on board. However, an unfolded garment bag has the appearance of not fitting under the seat and if the backpack appears too big to go under the seat the agent could have thought that there was a problem. Depending on seat, even a folded garment bag is too wide to go under the seat.

Jim
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by samgvb
Dimensions: 18.0 " H x 22.5 " W x 6.5 " D
Officially, that is oversized and must be checked.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: US Chairman
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
No offense, but most garment bags take up waaay more overhead space than a rollaboard. If you can fit three rollaboards lengthwise in an overhead bin, you're often hard pressed to get more than one rollaboard in a bin that already has a garment bag. I would love to see garment bags, guitars, and any other oddly shaped bag/carrying cases not be permitted as carry-on luggage. Just my two cents.
OT Diatribe . . .

I actually don't think "rollaboards" should be allowed either (or at least the large ones that everyone seems to have). Get rid of the maximum size "rollaboards" that everyone seems to carry, boarding will be far more efficient and I wouldn't feel the need to rush onto the plane 30 minutes early when Zone 1 is called.

(While I would not advocate traveling on RyanAir, they've figured out that big rollaboards are not worth the trouble)
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's question is about what the rule is not what it ought to be. The answer is that per US' own policy, a bag is a bag is a bag. If the garment bag fits the dimensions (sizer), it's one bag. If it's too large, it doesn't become two bags, it becomes too large to be carried on and should be checked.

Same thing for any item.

As to what the rule ought to be, I'm not prepared to suggest a change until US (and other carriers) seriously enforce their own rules as they stand now. I wager that if US actually enforced the letter of the law, there would rarely be mainline flights where all compliant carry-ons could not be acommodated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.