Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Need Help about US awarding miles on a ticket where all segments are not flown.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Plat.

I am reaching out to all the US Airways flyers out there about a disagreement I am having with customer service.

Take a scenario where you book a trip like, TPA-PHL-BOS and the return of BOS-PHL-TPA. Booked as a roundtrip. Lets say you fly the first 3 segments, and on the return, in Philadelphia something happens where you don't get on the plane for PHL-TPA (of your own choice, you simply don't show up). I know the ticket is canceled, and you don't get miles for the leg you didn't fly.

Here is my question, do you earn Dividend Miles for the segments you flew (TPA-PHL, PHL-BOS, & BOS-PHL)?

Now, I don't want any one's opinion, I just want responses from people who have had this happen, to tell me if they got miles for the 3 segments flown. Do not tell me about examples that involve canceled flights, IDB or VDB ... I want examples where you simply walked away from a segment.

Also, I only want examples from US Airways, a Delta example won't help me.

I also do not want anyone to tell me what the rules say, I don't need a contract of carriage quote, I simply want to know what has US done in this instance.

To be fair too, I only want examples that have occurred in the last 5 years. Since what happened 20 years ago probably isn't relevant. Also, if your example is real recent, you might want to not tell me too much about the flights and dates, since I would hate for this thread to result in a loss of miles that may have already been credited.

Thanks to everyone who responds, I appreciate it.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

By the way, I will follow up on the thread after this is done and provide the full story, I held back a lot to prevent my experience from altering your responses.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
I find it amazing, Mike, that you are very particular in asking for personal, recent experiences of violating the T&C of the CoC to make a case against US customer service..
Old Oct 14, 2013, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
I find it amazing, Mike, that you are very particular in asking for personal, recent experiences of violating the T&C of the CoC to make a case against US customer service..
Well, I'll share a little more. It is my belief that when an airline makes the choice to not enforce a particular part of their Contract of Carriage most of the time, that they lose the right to selectively threaten to enforce it against one particular deal.

I was told by customer service that US Airways always enforces this clause in their contract of carriage, and that enforcing it in my case is consistent with how every other customer is treated. My memory and experiences in the past disagrees with this point, but I don't have data points to back it up.

I do not want to hurt anyone on here, I don't need dates or routes or real names. Just honestly tell me if US Airways consistently denies awarding mileage in similar examples.

If I am right, I am going to argue more. If I am wrong, I will tell them I was wrong and apologizing for arguing in the first place.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I don't think there's enough info here for me to be sure what really happened, but I would expect miles for segments actually boarded and flown unless they're accusing hidden city ticketing, where they are likely to either deny accrual for the whole itinerary, one direction of travel or may close the mileage account.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but that's my knee jerk reaction to it.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phlwookie
I don't think there's enough info here for me to be sure what really happened, but I would expect miles for segments actually boarded and flown unless they're accusing hidden city ticketing, where they are likely to either deny accrual for the whole itinerary, one direction of travel or may close the mileage account.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but that's my knee jerk reaction to it.
I'll give a personal example on another airline. I live in Tampa, planned a weekend getaway to New Orleans. Right before the trip by grandmother died. The RT to New Orleans only cost about $100, so there was no value after change fees. I determined it was easier for me to fly to NOLA, spend a night there, then begin a trip on another airline MSY-OMA Then OMA-TPA with connections in both directions. I got mileage credit for TPA to MSY, but not the return, where I simply never showed up at the airport to take the flights. I wasn't trying to scam the airline, just how life happened to work out.

Now, in cases like this if US Airways normally gives mileage for segments flown, but told me I wouldn't get it and that they never give it, then I have an issue with that.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Mike, what are you describing is referred to as "hidden city" and it can cost your ff account and maybe legal action against you; therefore you probably don't want to push it any further..
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
About 30 days ago, this happened to me.

BWI-PHL-PVD on Monday

Thursday PVD-PHL to rental car to drive home as there was weather and I was looking at a 5 hour delay.

My Monday segments posted on Wednesday, the PVD-PHL posted on Sunday with the PHL-BWI held as a credit

As one who flies 150+ segments annually, this happens to me 4-6 times annually
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etsmyers
About 30 days ago, this happened to me.

BWI-PHL-PVD on Monday

Thursday PVD-PHL to rental car to drive home as there was weather and I was looking at a 5 hour delay.

My Monday segments posted on Wednesday, the PVD-PHL posted on Sunday with the PHL-BWI held as a credit

As one who flies 150+ segments annually, this happens to me 4-6 times annually
Thank you for sharing this. I pretty much knew the answer, but they were so insistent that this never happens.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: US-CP, Hilton-Gold, Marriott-Silver, PC-Gold, Nat'l-EE,
This has happened to me at LEAST 6 times this year (and probably about 15 over the past 3 years) and I've never had a problem.
Typical scenario is (insert random city here) to PHL to ABE.
ABE is only an hour drive from Philly. Usually the PHL-ABE flight is delayed, or canceled, or I get delayed on my inbound flight and miss the connection. I then just rent a car one-way and drive home. I've NEVER had an issue with them posting the miles from the inbound flights.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Mike1625
It is my belief that when an airline makes the choice to not enforce a particular part of their Contract of Carriage most of the time, that they lose the right to selectively threaten to enforce it against one particular deal.
Try that logic next time you get pulled over for speeding and let us know how that works out.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rbrotz
This has happened to me at LEAST 6 times this year (and probably about 15 over the past 3 years) and I've never had a problem.
Typical scenario is (insert random city here) to PHL to ABE.
ABE is only an hour drive from Philly. Usually the PHL-ABE flight is delayed, or canceled, or I get delayed on my inbound flight and miss the connection. I then just rent a car one-way and drive home. I've NEVER had an issue with them posting the miles from the inbound flights.
Just a quick thanks for sharing your experiences. It seems like the exact opposite of what customer service told me it true. The Miles always post ... and they swore to me that they never post for anyone.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tommyleo
Try that logic next time you get pulled over for speeding and let us know how that works out.
But these aren't police officers upholding the law.

These are bullies that wrote a 10 page, 6 point type set of rules. Rules which no one reads before booking every ticket. Then point to those rules whenever it fits their needs.

If the rule they were pointing to was uniformly enforced, then it is up to me to get it. But when the rule seems to be never enforced, then the bully shouldn't be able to use it selectively against 1 customer or one group of customers.

On top of it, the bully assumed I was an uneducated traveler, and lied to me, in hopes that I wouldn't call them on their lie. Well I did.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
Mike, what are you describing is referred to as "hidden city" and it can cost your ff account and maybe legal action against you; therefore you probably don't want to push it any further..
No, I'm not talking about a plan to do hidden city. I have a reservation, but I am traveling with 2 elderly, (one of which is handicap) parents. Our plan to to fly the whole reservation, but I can envision a scenario where we get to the point and they say, it is time to go home. The ticket was so cheap (relative to other tickets for the same destination) I am prepared to throw away the last part and take them home.

Hidden city by definition is planned and intentional. What I am talking about is realizing the challenges of traveling with my family and have a plan for possibly needed alternatives.

And for the record. I have never done this on US Airways before (failed to fly the entire reservation). I have done it twice on Delta, both times as a result of circumstance, and not a plan to trick the airline.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mike1625
No, I'm not talking about a plan to do hidden city. I have a reservation, but I am traveling with 2 elderly, (one of which is handicap) parents. Our plan to to fly the whole reservation, but I can envision a scenario where we get to the point and they say, it is time to go home. The ticket was so cheap (relative to other tickets for the same destination) I am prepared to throw away the last part and take them home.

Hidden city by definition is planned and intentional. What I am talking about is realizing the challenges of traveling with my family and have a plan for possibly needed alternatives.

And for the record. I have never done this on US Airways before (failed to fly the entire reservation). I have done it twice on Delta, both times as a result of circumstance, and not a plan to trick the airline.
Why didn't you make this clear in the beginning?
Your OP was opaque and had hints of subterfuge.
If you had stated this originally, I suspect the tone of responses would have been somewhat different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.