Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
To check the upgrade list for your flight:

1. Go to the flight status page of the US mobile website

2. Click on the appropriate date and flight number

3. Click on, "upgrade list," on the top right.
Print Wikipost

Standby List and Upgrade List now on US Airways Mobile Website

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kudzu
^

That it happened twice would get my juices going too ...

If it happened to me (knowing there are empty seats showing on mobile app and being first on the upgrade list), I would have lingered by the podium until boarding is over and say sweetly to GA something like, "Well, looks like Christmas came early for me with upgrade, would you mind changing my seat, please?"
Yeah normally that wouldn't be a problem to do something like that but the plane was very full and had I done that, she would have directed me to my seat but had to check my bag cuz all the overheads were full LOL.

I just love the mobile app shows that stuff because the GAs are always so surly when you ask them if you are on the list. They always retort with F has checked in full sir...and I then have to quip back, yeah and no one that was checked in has EVER missed a flight before This makes it easy to see but then again, you know more of what you are missing.

It sucked. But I made it safe and sounds, just not as comfy as I could have been. Thankfully I'll scrape to Chairman this year and hopefully this won't happen next year as I'll be back to west coast I'm sure and outrank most of the other flyers
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by phlwookie
Since the lists use the format of the first 3 letters of the last name and the first initial like on UA and other carriers, I guess we now need our own "funny/unfortunate standby/upgrade screen abbreviations" thread here. I've personally seen ones like SUN/K, BAR/F, HU/J, and my favorite: DUM/B over the years. One of the old UA threads is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ions-here.html
I've been using the new feature a lot recently when no FC is available at my window. At least once, it's helped me to "re-checkin" at the right moment to secure the UG.

I did have to laugh though, because tomorrow I'm flying PHX-BOS and while obsessively monitoring that upgrade list, the following name just popped up on the waitlist - MIL, F.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Number one on a recent upgrade list PHX-PHL was YEA, U. But it wasn't me.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
What's the closest to flightyou've ever seen an upgrade slot open on this wait list?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
What's the closest to flightyou've ever seen an upgrade slot open on this wait list?
On my last flight, one upgrade seat openned up while I was already sitting down. Seats could be openned up till the very last minutes as in the case of mis-connecting flights.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List

Interesting. I wonder what causes s seat to open up four hours before a flight. Obviously missing connection, cancelation, does US hold seats that long and then release them?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Interesting. I wonder what causes s seat to open up four hours before a flight. Obviously missing connection, cancelation, does US hold seats that long and then release them?
Remaining F seats open up at checkin 24 hr in advance for elites who weren't upgraded to grab at online checkin, so closer in availability that pops up is from normal changes in the passenger list like you list.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by beofotch
The major upside here - is that this is a really convienient way to monitor flights to see if an upgrade becomes available, even if you are way low on the list. If it does, just check-in again and it will give you the upgrade seat way ahead of everyone else.

I did it today for both my wife and I and it worked (although we both were at the top of the upgrade list and would have presumably been upgraded at the gate - we were able to lock it in about 6 hours in advance).
Is this an intended feature that one would be able to 'jump' the upgrade queue? Also, I was led to believe that T-24 upgrades can only be done by a GA, wrong?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
I just snagged an upgrade yesterday at T-3 hours by monitoring the waitlist and proactively changing my seat to FC while the space was available. I was already #1 on the waiting list this time, but have done this before when lower on the list.

I don't believe this is by any means an 'intended feature' but it certainly makes life easier if you're trying to keep an eye on FC availability. In the past you could keep calling into the reservation line and asking, and if space was open they could give you the upgrade instantly, even within 24 hours. If you got lucky, when you went to do OLCI and a seat happened to be open right then, it'd give you the upgrade online. Now it's just easier to refresh the waitlist to see if availability is >0.

This is the way it works up until the GA 'restricts' the flight to their gate moments before boarding starts. Once that's done, only the GA can process upgrades, standby, move-up, etc.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:53 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium

I have been doing this for a long time. today at t-12 hours a first class seat opened iah - clt and as #3 on upgrade list I re-checked in and got it over 1 and 2
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Avis First
Does anybody know if the list is truncated at all? I checked in last night for my LAX-PHL today on the red eye and I selected the Add to Standby List option as usual. Just looked at the upgrade list on the mobile site and it only shows 16 names, mine not being one of them. So either it isn't properly adding me to the list or it is only showing the first 16 names. Even though I'm Chairman it is feasible that there are 16 others ahead of me as this is a very busy route and I hardly ever get upgraded. Also, 16 seems like a reasonable number to truncate the list at since the A321 only has 16 available even if by some miracle they were all open to upgrades.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:00 pm

Nevermind...ignore my last question. I got curious when I saw more names being added past just the 16. So I attempted to check in online using the full website and it added my name to the list.

Must be a bug in the mobile app as that was what I was using every time before. So note to all those trying to add yourself to upgrade standby using the app...looks like that function isn't working currently. I filed a bug with the agent I spoke to on the phone so hopefully they will address it. At least now I can view the upgrade list...I've probably not even been on the list ever when checking in with the app and not known it.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 2:48 pm

This is great functionality.

One question. Are gate agents supposed to clear the upgrade list before the standby list or can they clear someone on standby directly into first (ahead of folks on the upgrade list)? As an aside, guess what happened to me today.... I could follow along in real time on my phone.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by johnep1
Are gate agents supposed to clear the upgrade list before the standby list or can they clear someone on standby directly into first (ahead of folks on the upgrade list)?
They should be separate lists...but they usually clear the upgrade list first so they then have room to seat passengers on standby in C. That's generally my experience. I've been seated in C and then the agent comes back and asks me to move up to F so they can seat a standby passenger in my seat.

YMMV, of course. Sounds like you have a story...do tell...
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
When boarding I realized my good fortune was due to an equipment swap from an a320 to an a321... Thus 4 new seats so when i checked this morning at 5am local time sure enough there was 1 left. It doesn't hurt to check and recheck... I am sure some others lower on the list also got upgraded due to the swap and fortuitous check in timing

Originally Posted by beofotch
I have been doing this for a long time. today at t-12 hours a first class seat opened iah - clt and as #3 on upgrade list I re-checked in and got it over 1 and 2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.