PHX Sky Harbor Pick-up

Old Oct 7, 13, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
PHX Sky Harbor Pick-up

Flying out with a friend in a week to PHX from where we will go up to Sedona to get some hiking in. I've been to PHX many times doing the car rental pick-up drop off routine. But on this trip, I fly in the night before & will stay at the Marriott airport hotel on 44th St. & my buddy arrives the next morning ( a Saturday ) @ 9A T4 via US Air.

I'm trying to figure out the easiest pick-up routine to retrieve my buddy & get on the road to Sedona. My least favorite idea is to try to find him in the curbside arrivals as it's a bit confusing for one not driving the airport regularly -- he himself is not too familiar with the airport. I'm considering the cell phone lot at the Sky Train station as I need only drop down 44th and park and wait for him. As I understand, he would pick up his checked bags downstairs in T4 and go upstairs to catch the Sky Train. I would know how to navigate from 44th to I-10/ I-17 from there.

My other thought is to tell my friend to catch the car rental bus to the rental center and meet me there. I think they have a place to park there where I could wait for him and he would go inside the building and he would go down one level from the kiosks to find me. It's just 1 1/2 blocks from there to the I-10/I-17 on ramp. Any pros or cons to either of these ideas?

thx

yeah I know I mis-spelled sky harbor, but can't figure out how to change the title after I post

barry
Old Oct 7, 13, 5:03 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles
Excellent plan. Your friend will take the bus to the rental car facility. You will drive your car to the rental facility and follow the signs for "Visitors".

Just park in the visitors section. You can leave your car there and then take the stairs or elevator to the level where the buses arrive and meet the friend there.

Have a great hike in Sedona
Old Oct 7, 13, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think the OP plans to pick up the friend and the car at the same time, not pick up the rental car late the previous evening.

If the OP doesn't want to take his own luggage on the hotel shuttle to the airport and then the rental car shuttle, he/she could ask the friend to come to his hotel in the hotel's shuttle. The rental car could be picked up and driven to the hotel whenever it's convenient, especially if the hotel has free parking for overnight guests. If OP doesn't check out first, friend could freshen up in the room before leaving for Sedona.
Old Oct 7, 13, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Why not take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and meet your friend at baggage claim? Then the two of you can take the shuttle to the rental car center.

If you're a member of the rental car company's program you won't have to wait in line to get your car. PHX car rentals are fast if so. If not, it's free to join.
Old Oct 7, 13, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Thanks for the insights. Life is good for me as I arrive PHX 10P and I will pick up the car that night and drive to the Marriott. I can use the 3 hour time lag I gain flying PHL-PHX that night to still get a good nights sleep and be up early AZ time and do a nice breakfast at the hotel.

I originally tell my friend to use the courtesy phones to call the Marriott for a ride when he arrives. But he's a laid back guy who will get to the hotel and want to linger a while. I want to keep him moving so that I can get up to Sedona and be on a trail early afternoon. That's when I start debating between the Sky Train and the rental pick-up building as both ways seem convenient transitions. I've casually been aware that there's a visitor parking area at the rental building, but I never pay much attention to the dynamics of it.

I think the car rental idea will work best, especially since I can go upstairs and wait for him there. It's a real easy jump on to I-17 from there. My PHX travels are always a learning experience as the I-10 on-ramp off of Buck Eye requires one to exit almost as soon as they get on for the I-17 to Flagstaff/Sedona -- learned that lesson several years back when I blow past the I-17 turn and use my "acute navigation skill" to realize the sun is on my wrong shoulder and I missed the turn a few miles before < Tuscon signs were also another hint . >

Really looking forward to a week of hiking. My buddy is an affable, but plunky south Jersey Italian with a gift for gab. Last year he came out with me & that trip teaches me that I gotta get him moving early in the morning so we can hit the trails. He's a Jersey guy who never hiked before ( though walking a dog through the woods is considered a hike to some folks in NJ ).

Last year he always asks me how long the hike is etc., but I tell him not mess with my "canyon karma" and to keep walking until we finally get back to the trailhead. He slowly got the idea of "canyon karma" and now he wanted to come back this year. So we're anticipating a great trip, but I just have to keep him in motion as once he hits the trail, he is captivated by what he sees.

Once again, thanks for helping me decide between options.

barry
Old Oct 7, 13, 7:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
There's a thread here in the US forum regarding the PHX airport, as well as multiple threads in the West forum that have much more detail on this.

For your particular situation, I'd tell your friend to take the Skytrain to the light rail stop, 44th St/Washington. The airport Marriott is about 1/2 mile north of there (near McDowell), and you can just meet him there, then hop on the AZ Loop 202, take that to either the AZ-51 (head north to the AZ 101 West to I-17), or to the I-10 to the I-17.

You'd be going way out of your way to go back to the rental car facility, and it would probably add 15-30 min to your trip (plus your friend dealing with the rental car bus).
Old Oct 7, 13, 7:50 pm

I agree about having him take SkyTrain and you picking him up there. Rental car facility will add unnecessary time. This coming from Phoenix resident of 23 years.

Freeway signs really are oddly confusing at Sky Harbor. They didn't use to be but recently they have been confusing me when leaving pickup on lower level in T4. It's very odd when they redid all the ramps and signage how they made it MORE confusing when before it was simple.
Old Oct 7, 13, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EP
OK, how about this easy alternative?

You friend will arrive @ PHX T4, ask him to retrieve his luggage(s) and instead of heading straight out to the curb to join a crowd of others arriving passengers, following the sign to ticketing - Departure (one floor up from the luggage area). Ask him to inform you whether his preference is on the North or South Side of the Departure level - barring anything happen, either side will be so sparsely populated as comparing to the arrival level. You would then following the sign (from 44th St) to the airport to T4 and meet him on either North or South curb without barely seeing any other souls! Once you have picked your friend up, then it's just simply a case of exitting the airport toward the I-10 W, which then connects to the I-17 N toward Sedona etc...

Yes, I very often look at the choke-a-block traffic at the arrival level while whizzing passed it (on the perimeter road) after having been picked on the departure level!
Old Oct 7, 13, 9:10 pm

I'm cheap. There is no way I'd pay for a car rental to drive to the Marriot only to let the car sit over night, and cars in Phx are a rip off. I'd take the hotel shuttle to the airport, meet him at baggage claim, and take the car rental shuttle.
Old Oct 7, 13, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Quickest way would be pick north or south side ahead of time and a number an tell him to be there. Since you will be up early head to the airport early and make a few loops to familiarize yourself. Terminal 4 lets you go in circles although it can be confusing. Then head to the cell phone lot and wait for him to call.

It shouldn't be too bad on a Saturday morning.
Old Oct 7, 13, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by chyvan View Post
I'm cheap. There is no way I'd pay for a car rental to drive to the Marriot only to let the car sit over night, and cars in Phx are a rip off. I'd take the hotel shuttle to the airport, meet him at baggage claim, and take the car rental shuttle.
That only makes sense if you are returning the car during the morning time frame. If returning in the evening, then picking it up in the evening isn't going to add any additional cost.

Originally Posted by WiscAZ View Post
Quickest way would be pick north or south side ahead of time and a number an tell him to be there. Since you will be up early head to the airport early and make a few loops to familiarize yourself. Terminal 4 lets you go in circles although it can be confusing. Then head to the cell phone lot and wait for him to call.

It shouldn't be too bad on a Saturday morning.
South side would be quickest so that you don't have to circle T4 again or exit on the east side just to go all the way around the airport. And departures level is always a good idea. All the doors (both levels) have numbers on them. Circle T4 before he arrives, tell him which door to come out of and then go wait in the cell phone lot.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: